Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 36.8%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.8%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 84 31.6%

• Total voters

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I rather trade what I know we have vs what someone like Engstrom could be. I'm not willing to block the trade with the add though. Could be Mesar for all we know. However, we all see it the same... we are loaded on D and would like to trade from a position of organization strength.

Call me crazy but I love Enstrom's game and he will be more cost controlled over Barron in the next 3-5 years. Engstrom might disapoint but I do like his potential. Rather not trade him before he turns pro.

The add on to me should be someone who has already turned pro and we have a good indication on who they are.

Possible but he is a dynamic puck mover who has crazy good numbers in the NCAA. Small yes but he is slowly getting stronger.

At the very least, I think we have a Gostisbehere. So yeah, Gostisbehere+ is where I have my base at. If he is substantially better than that, great.

Would I consider move Hutson before he turns pro? Hell no
Honestly, I would be hesitant to trade Hutson in general, but I also feel like we will trade him eventually. I like Mailloux more as our offensive-focused D, and would rather have Guhle and Reinbacher playing together to form a first pair that doesn't need to compensate for their partner ala Hutson/Mailloux. I just don't think there is going to be room for both Hutson and Mailloux on this team, but I have derailed enough threads on this in general and will leave it at that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly, I would be hesitant to trade Hutson in general, but I also feel like we will trade him eventually. I like Mailloux more as our offensive-focused D, and would rather have Guhle and Reinbacher playing together to form a first pair that doesn't need to compensate for their partner ala Hutson/Mailloux. I just don't think there is going to be room for both Hutson and Mailloux on this team, but I have derailed enough threads on this in general and will leave it at that.

This would be my D core in another season or two: I'm not trading Hutson until he turns pro and we get to see what he can do in both the AHL and NHL first. Big mistake to trade guys like this before they turn pro

Matheson / Guhle
Hutson / Reinbacher
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Engstrom

Kova, Barron, and Harris are stop gaps for when Hutson and Reinbacher are ready. Matheson is a keeper with me.

I think we should retain 50% on Savard to get the best return at this TDL. Then flip Allen this summer when we have retention spots open.

Moving both when we can't retain on both this TDL is difficult. So if a team is leaning on Savard, my answer to them is make an offer quickly because we might use our last retention spot on Allen. If teams want both players (separate deals), the message is you will have to find a 3rd party to retain on one of them. Good luck

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yeah, with Olen Zellweger there already, they might be the team the least interested in Hutson.

Agree they already have Zellweger in the same style

...having Zellweger is a good reason, but honestly Mintyukov is an even bigger reason.

There's not a team in the NHL that would be less interested in Hutson.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This would be my D core in another season or two: I'm not trading Hutson until he turns pro and we get to see what he can do in both the AHL and NHL first. Big mistake to trade guys like this before they turn pro

Matheson / Guhle
Hutson / Reinbacher
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Engstrom

Kova, Barron, and Harris are stop gaps for when Hutson and Reinbacher are ready. Matheson is a keeper with me.

I think we should retain 50% on Savard to get the best return at this TDL. Then flip Allen this summer when we have retention spots open.

Moving both when we can't retain on both this TDL is difficult. So if a team is leaning on Savard, my answer to them is make an offer quickly because we might use our last retention spot on Allen. If teams want both players (separate deals), the message is you will have to find a 3rd party to retain on one of them. Good luck

that may be the best 6, plus Engstrom, but we also have to balance best using our assets to improve the forward corps and project ahead for the salary cap (we can't have all high cap hit dmen).

Right now you have us trading Barron, Harris, Kovacevic, and Struble, plus perhaps Engstrom. Do they have the highest trade value? What if one of Matheson, Huston, Xhekaj, or Mailloux can bring in a top forward in a trade?

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Mtl is not trading is 2024’s 1st for Zegras and Anaheim is not trading Zegras for secondary pieces.

So Habs 2025’s 1st it is.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
The only way I see us getting Zegras is if the Ducks management are in love with a prospect in that 5-8 range and would rather have them over Zegras, which is a big if.

Otherwise I don't see any realistic package we could put together that makes sense for both sides.
You trade anything but:

CC
NS
JS
KG
this years 1st
next year top9 protected.

If Caufield and Zegras skate into the corner after the puck, who shies away from contact and loses the puck first?:sarcasm:
If Montreal has proper lines and support then who's going to stop them when they find NHL chemistry?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You trade anything but:

CC
NS
JS
KG
this years 1st
next year top9 protected.

If Montreal has proper lines and support then who's going to stop them when they find NHL chemistry?
There’s no guarantee they’ll have any chemistry in the NHL against a completely different level of competition. If it worked like that, we’d see GM’s consistently trying to acquire players to try and rehash former junior glory. In the NHL, lines are constantly changing and adjustments are always being made. You can’t just pencil in one line and expect it to work. If we’re going to give up a bunch of assets of value for someone, it should be for someone better. If not, keep the assets and be patient until we have a better idea of when we know the team will be competitive. We’re currently 7th from the bottom of the league. That time isn’t right now.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What about retaining 50 percent of Henriques salary so the ducks can trade him to a contender and give them Winnipegs 1st and a plug. Would that do it?

I don't think it will do it. Put yourself in their shoes. They have Zegras who they likely value like we do with Caufield. Zegras is going nowhere in the next year if the offers are late 1st's and B+ prospects.

I wish we could pull that off but I have my doubts.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Caufield and Zegras skate into the corner after the puck, who shies away from contact and loses the puck first?:sarcasm:

I'd have Dach on their line ;)

The key here with me is to have that strong stable D and goaltending so the forwards have less pressure. A team that is sound on D and has a strong PP/PK with 3 very good forward lines do go far in the playoffs.

Zegras is not B Tkachuk yes. I think all Habs fans are thinking about Zegras's grit come playoffs and it's somewhat valid. What we need to be thinking is you need both grit and skill and we lack both. Try to add Zegras now and work on adding grit on another deal or another draft later.

Winning strategy:
* Strong D that has skating, skill, grit. Top 5D in the NHL in terms of preventing goals and exiting our zone with minimal turnovers.
* Solid G that doesn't allow soft goals killing any momentum.
* Strong PK/PP. Top 10 in both (at a min)
* Solid top 9F. Fast and skilled with some grit mixed in.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mtl is not trading is 2024’s 1st for Zegras and Anaheim is not trading Zegras for secondary pieces.

So Habs 2025’s 1st it is.

I would trade what I know vs what I don't know.

2024 1st is going to be known after the lottery and we know the top 10 is loaded with D. My gut tells me we are going to reach on a forward because of this (if the pick is not traded). I'm not desperate to move this pick but if Zegras comes from trading it, why are we saying no to this? Basically, we are going to be trying to draft a Zegras type with our pick anyways. What we going to do? Draft Lindstrom and think he will be our Tkachuk? Another one of those draft by need eh? :sarcasm:

2025 1st should be higher if we do better but that's a gamble. Team is still young and we are likely to trade more vets which means more pressure on our youth. With so much youth still maturing on the job, you better bet you will see more injuries. Even if we put protection on it, I would still not trade future 1st's without knowing where that pick might fall.

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Hello folks. Been a while! I've been busy so haven't had too much time to chit chat on HF boards.

Very open to trading for Zegras but this will likely be a long trade talk process. I'm not buying all this soft and attitude problems. We are after skill and he has it. And I'm pretty sure MSL/Caufield, our young core, and the city of Montreal will motivate him

A few things on my mind about this:

1) Guhle for Zegras is fair on paper but doesn't fit the Habs strategy. Because if you trade for Zegras, you are building a playoff team faster and you will need Guhle to be part of it. I pass on this trade idea. Guhle is a sure shot top 4D and still has top paring potential. 22 and only 96 NHL games and still growing/learning.

2) Having said what I said in point 1 above, we have to project up coming salaries to both Guhle and Zegras... as well as Slav and so many others (Dach included). This part is over most of our heads but I'm sure Gorton/Hughes are looking at it.

3) Quantity for quality probably doesn't work. Like Jets/Flames late first rounders and one of Xhekaj or Barron. Ducks probably pass on this. However, if the Zegras trade situation lingers on and he struggles on the ice, things can change. Look at the Eichel and Seguin trades from the past. For all we know, Jets 1st, Mesar, and Farrell gets it done.

4) Habs 1st rounder (5-7 range) for Zegras straight up with an add on like Kidney type? I'm 50/50 on this. The value of that pick matters in terms of when they are NHL ready and you end up having 3 years of ELC cost on the cap.

Lets say we do Habs 1st (5-7) and Kidney for Zegras. I think this is very solid and a contender type like the Canes. Lots of depth which helps when injuries happen. We would also still have both the Jets and Flames 1st as well as our 1st from 25+. I think this would put us in a good spot for the next 5-10 years.

With all this depth, I do wonder who we end up loosing on waivers in the coming years.

Roy / Suzuki / Slaf
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Newhook / Evans / Anderson
Mesar / Beck / Ylonen

Heineman, Farrell, RHP, Pezzetta, Kapanen

Matheson / Guhle
Hutson / Reinbacker
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Barron, Struble, Engstrom,

Monty / Primeau / Fowler
1) I agree. We have nothing to replace the type of hockey Guhle can give us in our prospect pool. Habs don't want to create a hole to fill another. Makes no sense to me.

2) No problems with salary cap short/mid term. The first problem may come when Gallagher and Anderson still have 1 year on their contract. So maybe that's when we buy Gallagher's contract out. Other than that? A lot of room.

3) Also agree. No quantity for quality will work for Zegras. Not now anyway. I think our quantity assets might serve to get a project like Newhook. Players like Kakko, Turcotte, Holtz might fit the bill.

4) That's where i disagree, to some extent i would say. Because it all depends on which players are still disponible comes Habs pick. If we are at 5-6, and Lindstrom or Demidov are still there, no way i trade the pick for Zegras. If we draft a bit later, lets say 7-9 (i don't think we will draft later than that) and the 2 players are gone, i'm all for it. But at that point, it becomes a draft floor deal and it has to make sense for Anaheim also, in a sense that there has to be a player they target and need that is still on board. It might become complicated and not comes to fruituation. And that's where, i think, Habs 2025's 1st might enter the room. I think with proper protection (top 5 protected or pushed to 2026 unprotected) and depending on where the Ducks think they are in their rebuilding process, it might still interest the Ducks. I would agree though that a better prospect than Kidney might need to be included in that deal (Harris, Mesar, Barron, Struble, Engstrom).

If we get out of the 2024 off season with the following, we are in f****** business my friend :

One of Demidov/Lindstrom (2024's 1st pick)
Zegras (2025's 1st top 5 protected + Mesar)
Kakko (Win's 1st + one of Harris/Barron/Struble/Engstrom)

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
1) I agree. We have nothing to replace the type of hockey Guhle can give us in our prospect pool. Habs don't want to create a hole to fill another. Makes no sense to me.

2) No problems with salary cap short/mid term. The first problem may come when Gallagher and Anderson still have 1 year on their contract. So maybe that's when we buy Gallagher's contract out. Other than that? A lot of room.

3) Also agree. No quantity for quality will work for Zegras. Not now anyway. I think our quantity assets might serve to get a project like Newhook. Players like Kakko, Turcotte, Holtz might fit the bill.

4) That's where i disagree, to some extent i would say. Because it all depends on which players are still disponible comes Habs pick. If we are at 5-6, and Lindstrom or Demidov are still there, no way i trade the pick for Zegras. If we draft a bit later, lets say 7-9 (i don't think we will draft later than that) and the 2 players are gone, i'm all for it. But at that point, it becomes a draft floor deal and it has to make sense for Anaheim also, in a sense that there has to be a player they target and need that is still on board. It might become complicated and not comes to fruituation. And that's where, i think, Habs 2025's 1st might enter the room. I think with proper protection (top 5 protected or pushed to 2026 unprotected) and depending on where the Ducks think they are in their rebuilding process, it might still interest the Ducks. I would agree though that a better prospect than Kidney might need to be included in that deal (Harris, Mesar, Barron, Struble, Engstrom).

If we get out of the 2024 off season with the following, we are in f****** business my friend :

One of Demidov/Lindstrom (2024's 1st pick)
Zegras (2025's 1st top 5 protected + Mesar)
Kakko (Win's 1st + one of Harris/Barron/Struble/Engstrom)

I agree with this.

At forward, many are also saying Iginla and Connolly are also good.

Reactions: Benstheman

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Connelly is a DND for many teams (source: The Athletic) and you can guarantee one of those teams is the Habs after the Mailloux fall out.

Did you hear what he did?

I heard he posted and then deleted a picture of some kind of lego that a friend made into a swastika sign. If that's all he did, I don't think that's a reason not to draft him. It's a mistake, and offensive to most. But kids mistakes. It's part of growing up. Adults do too.

Is there more than that?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Did you hear what he did?

I heard he posted and then deleted a picture of some kind of lego that a friend made into a swastika sign. If that's all he did, I don't think that's a reason not to draft him. It's a mistake, and offensive to most. But kids mistakes. It's part of growing up. Adults do too.

Is there more than that?

Yeah, it's more than that.. that's the big incident. I put a couple paragraphs at the top of the article below, but he's been a bad teammate as well, has had to move teams frequently due to behavioural issues, etc. Just not the character they'd look at from Montreal, and they aren't gonna invite the scrutiny of the media to take another troubled prospect in round 1, especially with a high pick.

Connelly was known to scouts before the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, but his play forced teams to consider him anew. He was no longer just a prospect; he was a potential impact NHL player. But that made the evaluation of him thornier because, as one scout said, “Some stuff I’m just not willing to look the other way on.”

Many NHL evaluators were already aware that, in 2022, when he was 16, Connelly posted to Snapchat a picture of a teammate sitting on the floor of the children’s area of a library with building blocks assembled in the shape of a swastika. Connelly added the caption “creations.” He was removed from his team, the Long Island Gulls, after that incident. Connelly apologized for the posting of the swastika and said he didn’t understand how hurtful it would be to others. Some NHL people were also aware he had been accused of directing a racial slur at an opponent during a game in 2021, which he has denied. He was initially suspended after that allegation, though the suspension was not upheld, with the disciplinary committee for the California Amateur Hockey Association writing that the allegation could not be corroborated. Connelly told The Athletic he doesn’t use racial slurs. Some teams were also aware that Connelly had been involved with four amateur programs from 2020-22, an unusually vagabond career for a player with his talent; one of those stops, at Bishop Kearney, a high school in Rochester, N.Y., with a select hockey program, lasted less than two weeks.

Even teams that said they have already decided against drafting Connelly are grappling with the questions his evaluation raises, figuring it won’t be the last time they are put to this test. How much should an organization’s stated values figure in the draft process? How do teams weigh a prospect’s talent versus misdeeds from the past? Because prospects are often minors when troubling behavior occurs, teams are also trying to decipher what acts are byproducts of immaturity as opposed to signs of a larger concern. And when is a second chance warranted?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, it's more than that.. that's the big incident. I put a couple paragraphs at the top of the article below, but he's been a bad teammate as well, has had to move teams frequently due to behavioural issues, etc. Just not the character they'd look at from Montreal, and they aren't gonna invite the scrutiny of the media to take another troubled prospect in round 1, especially with a high pick.

Connelly was known to scouts before the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, but his play forced teams to consider him anew. He was no longer just a prospect; he was a potential impact NHL player. But that made the evaluation of him thornier because, as one scout said, “Some stuff I’m just not willing to look the other way on.”

Many NHL evaluators were already aware that, in 2022, when he was 16, Connelly posted to Snapchat a picture of a teammate sitting on the floor of the children’s area of a library with building blocks assembled in the shape of a swastika. Connelly added the caption “creations.” He was removed from his team, the Long Island Gulls, after that incident. Connelly apologized for the posting of the swastika and said he didn’t understand how hurtful it would be to others. Some NHL people were also aware he had been accused of directing a racial slur at an opponent during a game in 2021, which he has denied. He was initially suspended after that allegation, though the suspension was not upheld, with the disciplinary committee for the California Amateur Hockey Association writing that the allegation could not be corroborated. Connelly told The Athletic he doesn’t use racial slurs. Some teams were also aware that Connelly had been involved with four amateur programs from 2020-22, an unusually vagabond career for a player with his talent; one of those stops, at Bishop Kearney, a high school in Rochester, N.Y., with a select hockey program, lasted less than two weeks.

Even teams that said they have already decided against drafting Connelly are grappling with the questions his evaluation raises, figuring it won’t be the last time they are put to this test. How much should an organization’s stated values figure in the draft process? How do teams weigh a prospect’s talent versus misdeeds from the past? Because prospects are often minors when troubling behavior occurs, teams are also trying to decipher what acts are byproducts of immaturity as opposed to signs of a larger concern. And when is a second chance warranted?

To me these are important facts to dig more into. But the facts themselves as presented aren't enough for me to put him on my do not draft list.

We've seen in the past, athletes like Allen Iverson and Randy Moss be put on teams' do not draft list for incidents as teenagers. But they grew up to not only be good athletes but good people. So, just hearing incidents as a youth aren't enough for me to not want to draft a player.

Also, I wouldn't make draft decisions based on the media. So far so good with Mailloux.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
To me these are important facts to dig more into. But the facts themselves as presented aren't enough for me to put him on my do not draft list.

We've seen in the past, athletes like Allen Iverson and Randy Moss be put on teams' do not draft list for incidents as teenagers. But they grew up to not only be good athletes but good people. So, just hearing incidents as a youth aren't enough for me to not want to draft a player.

Also, I wouldn't make draft decisions based on the media. So far so good with Mailloux.

They are definitely a team with him on their do not draft list.. and it won't matter anyways, the Habs will be picking too high for him to have even entered the conversation based on ability.

Reactions: sampollock

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They have the same value

One is a better play driver/creator the other one is a better goal scorer

Saying that Caufield is better defensively but a worth nothing.. both are bad defensively even if Caufield is less awful. It’s like saying Zegras is more physical
It would be the absolute dumbest thing in the world for us to trade CC for this guy. (Not directed at you Vachon - just really dumb for the team)

I know CC didn’t have a great year but all the underlying numbers are there for a forty goal scorer. There’s no way we should be trading that away for a player with red flags.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabbyGuy

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
It would be the absolute dumbest thing in the world for us to trade CC for this guy.

I know CC didn’t have a great year but all the underlying numbers are there for a forty goal scorer. There’s no way we should be trading that away for a player with red flags.

Agreed, I don't know why a majority of hab fans have this "grass is always greener" mindset when it comes to others over our own.

There's not a chance I'd trade Caufield for Zegras. Like absolutely zero.

Caufield has the potential makings of a perennial 40 goal scorer. He's also works hard at trying to improve other facets of his game, something well documented that Zegras has difficulty with.

Besides, IF we were going to trade for Zegras it would be to add onto Caufield and the offense of this team, not take away from it, and it would only be at a fair price.

I cannot see Hughes paying a massive premium for someone like Zegras.

Depending on where we end up picking in this draft, it's quite possible we snag a player who has as much if not more value as Zegras does anyway, all without the headache of contract negotiatons.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad