Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 36.8%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.8%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 84 31.6%

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Perhaps, but they already have Gauthier coming up, so they might prefer a better prospect, closer to the NHL, in the trade than a top 10 pick.

WPG 1st + Mailloux is probably not the best we can do, but it's a pretty good offer imho. If they insist on getting a roster player, that's why I was thinking Roy and Barron. Roy should be close.

Personally, I am OK with trading the 5-7 range pick for Zegras. I rather keep Mailloux.

If the Ducks are open to 3/1 approach. I'd offer them the Flames and Jets 1st and probably Barron as the NHL ready guy.

Some here need to wake up. Zegras has Suzui/Caufield value at the same age.

Don’t know, but Anaheim can keep him if they don’t have what they want

Yes the Ducks can but there is a chance it becomes a distraction and his value takes a hit if he is unmotivated to stay there.

Ducks will probably keep him if the offers are late 1st and A-/B+ types. I agree with that but at some point, they will have to figure it out. Seems like they do not want to extend him on a large deal and there is disconnect.

Reactions: Vachon23

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Personally, I am OK with trading the 5-7 range pick for Zegras. I rather keep Mailloux.

If the Ducks are open to 3/1 approach. I'd offer them the Flames and Jets 1st and probably Barron as the NHL ready guy.

Some here need to wake up. Zegras has Suzui/Caufield value at the same age.
I'd say Suzuki's value is considerably higher than the other 2.

That being said, if Caufield was injured while on pace for a 28 point season and a team came offering a 5th overall pick+ then I'd definitely consider it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

That being said, if Caufield was injured while on pace for a 28 point season and a team came offering a 5th overall pick+ then I'd definitely consider it.

At the same age bud. It's very close.

With both Suzuki and Caufield, we were not trading them for late 1st and B+ types when they were 22.

Personally, I would not trade Caufield for the 5th OA pick today. The difference here is Caufield/Habs is a fit and Zegras/Ducks is not a fit (it appears)

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Of course he’s gonna be expensive. A U23 yrs player with 2x 60 pts season is gonna cost something that will hurt you

Would you trade Caufield vs a late pick + Luneau ?

Don’t know, but Anaheim can keep him if they don’t have what they want
If we have someone in the system ready or almost ready to replace him, i'd consider trading Caufield, yes. That's the entire reasoning behind the Zegras being available rumors anyhow.

We did get Suzuki and a 2nd for Max Pac, and Suzuki wasn't Vegas top prospect at that time.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Yes the Ducks can but there is a chance it becomes a distraction and his value takes a hit if he is unmotivated to stay there.

Ducks will probably keep him if the offers are late 1st and A-/B+ types. I agree with that but at some point, they will have to figure it out. Seems like they do not want to extend him on a large deal and there is disconnect.
They can do what Colorado did with Duchene who ask a trade what Zegras didn’t

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we have someone in the system ready or almost ready to replace him, i'd consider trading Caufield, yes. That's the entire reasoning behind the Zegras being available rumors anyhow.

We did get Suzuki and a 2nd for Max Pac, and Suzuki wasn't Vegas top prospect at that time.

Trade Caufield? NOPE

Reactions: Goalfield13

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Yes but would you move him against a late 1st pick and Tristan Luneau ?

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Agreed. Zegras is a proven 60+ forward with lots of skill and the 5-7 range pick is also great value but not a sure shot chance at someone like Zegras.

The only thing that scares me is the cap crunch. Lots of cap projection will have to be done to see how it might look. After the Dach, Zegras, Guhle, Slaf and many more are extended.
Guhle, Reinbacher and Mailloux will be the high paid D on the team. If you look at most playoff teams the past few years, teams mostly paid a high dollar for 2-3 D, and the rest were lower end. I don't think Wifi, Struble and Kova will cost much. Wifi could cost a decent amount, but not as much as the top 3.

Suzuki, Caufield, Zegras and Dach (if he pans out) will take a lot of our cap on forward, for sure. Roy and Newhook will likely be a notch below and affordable. After that, there is Beck if he is a legit 3C. Sounds fine.

Our G will be where we save a lot of money. We will have an affordable tandem. That's the trend in the NHL right now, anyways.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
At the same age bud. It's very close.

With both Suzuki and Caufield, we were not trading them for late 1st and B+ types when they were 22.

Personally, I would not trade Caufield for the 5th OA pick today. The difference here is Caufield/Habs is a fit and Zegras/Ducks is not a fit (it appears)
Caufield and Zegras are a few months apart in age.

Obviously they're not moving Zegras for a late 1st, I'm talking about a top 7 pick + additional asset.

If either Suzuki or Caufield had their production fall off a cliff and missed significant time with injury at the same age and I was offered that deal then I'm considering it. Maybe less so with Suzuki since he has a more well rounded game.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021

Awful. You talk about asset management and then post this? LOL! You give up on Caufield after everything he's already proven?

Edit: the reason we are talking Zegras is that Anaheim trading him would be terrible asset management on THEIR end. I am sure Hughes is salivating on the thought. Dumb GM in Ana trying to put his stamp on the team with a dumb trade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Caufield and Zegras are a few months apart in age.

Obviously they're not moving Zegras for a late 1st, I'm talking about a top 7 pick + additional asset.

If either Suzuki or Caufield had their production fall off a cliff and missed significant time with injury at the same age and I was offered that deal then I'm considering it. Maybe less so with Suzuki since he has a more well rounded game.

I know Zegras is separated by a few months. Still doesn't change my point.

5-7 range pick with a add like Barron is as deep as I go.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Awful. You talk about asset management and then post this? LOL! You give up on Caufield after everything he's already proven?
It's called a hypothetical lmao, I didn't give up on him.

IF Caufield gets a major injury and we see a clear fall off in production and a team offers a package like that then I'm definitely listening.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021

That won't get it done. If I am Anaheim, I don't take that deal. The value just isn't there. Zegras was a top 10 pick that hit. Why would I trade him for another kick at the can and a struggling prospect. It needs to be better than Barron, IMO.

It's called a hypothetical lmao, I didn't give up on him.

IF Caufield gets a major injury and we see a clear fall off in production and a team offers a package like that then I'm definitely listening.
Your hypothetical trades Caufield after getting n injury and having one bad year. That's giving up on him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Edit: the reason we are talking Zegras is that Anaheim trading him would be terrible asset management on THEIR end. I am sure Hughes is salivating on the thought. Dumb GM in Ana trying to put his stamp on the team with a dumb trade.

Seems to me like some fans fall for the rollercoaster up/down too much. Heading into this season, the gullible ones say 40-50 goals and now that it's unreachable, he sucks and they would trade him.

Habs trading Caufield for a 5-7 pick is not the same as the Ducks trading Zegras for a 5-7 range pick. Circumstance matters.

Caufield/Habs are happy together and there is a long term contract.
vs
Zegras/Ducks are not happy together and there is no long term commitment.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019

I agree with that value. I wouldn't give up more than that.
And on the other hand, if we were looking to move a struggling Caufield then an offer like that would certainly grab my attention.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That won't get it done. If I am Anaheim, I don't take that deal. The value just isn't there. Zegras was a top 10 pick that hit. Why would I trade him for another kick at the can and a struggling prospect. It needs to be better than Barron, IMO.

Your hypothetical trades Caufield after getting n injury and having one bad year. That's giving up on him.

Up to the Ducks but I don't see other teams going deeper than that either. So Ducks better consider keeping him and hope he is happy to stay. Then they have to extend him before the current deal is up. Does their bridge work or back fire on them?

Whenever there is disconnect between the team/player, it sometimes goes away but in most cases, it does not. Ducks have time but that might be the best offer they get

I agree with that value. I wouldn't give up more than that.
And on the other hand, if we were looking to move a struggling Caufield then an offer like that would certainly grab my attention.

We are not looking to move a struggling Caufield. I'm not engaging in that narrative/trap. Caufield and Zegras might have similar trade value but the circumstance of contract and team fit is just not the same.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Up to the Ducks but I don't see other teams going deeper than that either. So Ducks better consider keeping him and hope he is happy to stay. Then they have to extend him before the current deal is up. Does their bridge work or back fire on them?

Whenever there is disconnect between the team/player, it sometimes goes away but in most cases, it does not. Ducks have time but that might be the best offer they get
That makes sense. Context on the relationship does matter. it really depends on whether that relationship can be mended or not. Hellebuyck/Jets had a sour relationship, and that was fixed. Same with Elvis in CLB

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019

I'm saying I'd listen to an offer of a top 7 pick+ for an injured and struggling player. Forget I said Caufield and just pretend it's "Player X" that's shown 60 point upside and a lackluster defensive game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That makes sense. Context on the relationship does matter. it really depends on whether that relationship can be mended or not. Hellebuyck/Jets had a sour relationship, and that was fixed. Same with Elvis in CLB

Time will tell. Habs will offer what we offer and we have a max point. I get the feeling Caufield will lean on Zegras to leave and join the Habs. And I know we have the assets to acquire.

Caufield was like... Hey Dubois, do you want to hang out with me and Zegras (last summer). Habs fans thinking about Dubois but Caufield had his own plans ;).

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I'm saying I'd listen to an offer of a top 7 pick+ for an injured and struggling player. Forget I said Caufield and just pretend it's "Player X" that's shown 60 point upside and a lackluster defensive game.
I understand and respect your position, I just don't agree. Picks in the 5-10 range could be nothing. A player that has shown the skills needed to play in the NHL is worth holding on to. Players get injured and typically need time to bounce back.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019

We are not looking to move a struggling Caufield. I'm not engaging in that narrative/trap. Caufield and Zegras might have similar trade value but the circumstance of contract and team fit is just not the same.
It's not a narrative or trap lol. I just used him as an example of the value Zegras commands in the current situation.

His value is close on that of a 5th overall pick in my eyes. If we were having this discussion last year then it'd be higher, but as it stands at this moment I'd consider it close to equally value.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Time will tell. Habs will offer what we offer and we have a max point. I get the feeling Caufield will lean on Zegras to leave and join the Habs. And I know we have the assets to acquire.
We certainly have a spot for him, and his skill would be welcome. I am certain Hughes is interested, and they are likely waiting for the lottery to happen to see where they stand before making a trade. No rush for now, and Anaheim would be wise to wait for the offseason when more teams could show interest. I think the Habs are the team with the assets that can get it done without gutting the farm/core.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not a narrative or trap lol. I just used him as an example of the value Zegras commands in the current situation.

His value is close on that of a 5th overall pick in my eyes. If we were having this discussion last year then it'd be higher, but as it stands at this moment I'd consider it close to equally value.

In terms of value without circumstance yes. With circumstance and reality factored in, no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad