Speculation: The All Encompassing Edmonton Oilers Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Sure, I'd make the trade.

Would suck to lose Aho, but Slavin would absolutely not resign in that defensive hell hole when his contract is up, and we'd welcome him back with open arms and win the next billion Cups in doing so. Easy win for the Canes, even if we have to give up multiple picks and Morrow/Nikishin to do it. Shit, I'd throw in Jarvis just for the lolz
would McDavid sign here though? that is question. Im not so sure.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
How many conference has Edmonton Sniffed in the past 5 years?

2019 - Canes - Conference finals; Oilers missed playoffs
2020 - Canes - won qualifying round lost first round - Oilers - Lost Qualifying Round
2021 - Canes - Lost Semi-finals won one round - Oilers Lost First Round
2022 - Canes - Lost Semi-Finals won one Round - Oilers Lost Conference finals won 2 round
2023 - Canes - Lost Conference finals won two rounds - Oilers Lost Semi-Finals won 1 round.

And it's no secret the Hockey experts say the Eastern Conferences is the toughest of the 2 conferences.
I’d add Canes roster pre 2 substantial injuries was SC quality.

A healthy Svetch and Patches would have been difference makers.

Reactions: mikeyfan

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
head to head, Slavin has held McDavid below his career averages in the 11 games they have met.
Yes, I would assume just about any player would do better against the league's defensemen as a whole than they do against a high end defensive defenseman. Is there a point here

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
would McDavid sign here though? that is question. Im not so sure.
As long as we're willing to pay, why would he not want to sign with a team that actually knows how to play defense, meaning that the entire ability for the team to win and contend is not reliant upon him being superghuman every night?

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
It would absolutely make Edmonton a better team. Zero question. McDavid for Slavin alone would. But you're going to get emotional responses from Edmonton fans, not rational ones.
With the comments you made ? You don't think 90% of HF is thinking wtf kind of a comment is that?

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
And you measure Defense as an offensive person. Slavin is the best shut down defenseman in the league. in the league.

Cool story but you Win game by out scoring your opponents

Oilers need to improve their defense for sure, but most def not by giving the best offensive Weapons of the 21th Century

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Daily Faceoff best shutdown defenseman

ankPlayerPosAgeTeamTotal DenialsCarry DenialDZ Deflect TurnoverDZ Pass IntIso xGA
1Jaccob SlavinLD28CAR69312-13.3%
2Aaron EkbladRD26FLA1219157-12.6%
3Charlie McAvoyRD24BOS989643-12.2%
4Jonas BrodinLD29MIN37221818-11.6%
5Travis SanheimLD26PHI3182328-6.2%
6Colton ParaykoRD29STL4301622-4.4%
7Alex PietrangeloRD32VGK1736278+2.4%
8MacKenzie WeegarRD28CGY752010-1.4%
9Damon SeversonRD28NJD52173+0.8%
10Devon ToewsLD28COL86971414-3.7%
11Darnell NurseLD27EDM322132127-6.5%
12Brandon CarloRD28BOS54533120-5.1%
13Josh MorrisseyLD27WPG202324100-5.3%
14Ryan GravesLD27NJD29262134-4.5%
15Noah HanifinLD25CGY12219106-3.2%
16Jonas SieganthalerLD25NJD5216674-15.1%
17TJ BrodieLD32TOR17173952-8.8%
18Mattias SamuelssonLD22BUF23101237-5.2%
19Vladislav GavrikovLD26CBJ3483265+1.7%
20Adam LarssonRD29SEA10192977-0.5%

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Do you understand that teams typically use 12 forwards, 6 defensemen and a goalie? Are you new to hockey, trolling or just incapable of understanding a simple fact like that?
12 forwards, 6 D. Sure sounds like you can get twice the marginal value from a high end defenseman than you can get with a high end forward now, doesn't it?

And yes, it's not actually 2x because the ice time of the forwards is not anywhere near as evenly distributed as it is for defenseman, but the broad math of why defenseman are more valuable than forwards is slapping you in the face right now.

Also, teams generally have two goalies on the roster. Edmonton should consider trying that rather than frequently playing with goaltending equipment stacked in front of the net with no one in it.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
FWIW, it hasn’t really been like that. It’s more a matter of back-to-back-to-back exits against god-mode Vasilevskiy, god-mode Shesterkin, and “somehow Palpatine has returned” Bobrovsky. Not much to be done about that, regardless of what you’re bringing defensively.

Anyway, just a nitpick. Carry on.
Canes get benefit of the doubt last year for sure, imo. The injuries they had, and how far they still went. Impressive.

Reactions: mikeyfan

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
12 forwards, 6 D. Sure sounds like you can get twice the marginal value from a high end defenseman than you can get with a high end forward now, doesn't it?

And yes, it's not actually 2x because the ice time of the forwards is not anywhere near as evenly distributed as it is for defenseman, but the broad math of why defenseman are more valuable than forwards is slapping you in the face right now.

Also, teams generally have two goalies on the roster. Edmonton should consider trying that rather than frequently playing with goaltending equipment stacked in front of the net with no one in it.

McDavid literally plays more minutes per game than Slavin does

Reactions: wmupreds

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

You're just embarrassing yourself at this point.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I don't think you understand how marginal value works, despite seeming to love the phrase.

It has nothing to do with how many forwards or defensemen exist. It's simply how much better a player is than a baseline (average, replacement, whatever you want to use).

If you want to get into what's hard to find around the league, LHD is not at the top of that list.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Preface: It sucks to suck and I think McDavid is the best player on the planet.

I don't think McDavid would work well on the Canes.

He seems like a me first diva who would clash heavily with Brindamour. He would never work out here. He wants to be in Montreal, Edmonton (if they didn't suck shark dong) New York or maybe LA. Just like some people hate playing in Toronto or Montreal and love to play in Carolina or Anaheim.

McDavid has more value than Slavin and Aho but I don't think that trade makes the Canes better because of the factors listed above.

Now I think Draistailt *could* be a fit. The guy was basically crying after getting shark chomped last night. He might be humble enough to go to a contender and give buy in. He exactly what Carolina lack...50+ goal scorer, shows up big in playoffs, big body build for big games.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
With a shut down defense, the Hurricanes have proven you can win games without having a 100 point scorer on your team
they haven't proven that they can make a Cup final, never mind win one, though. I don't get all the crowing in this thread, Carolina is every bit as disappointing in the playoffs as Edmonton has been. They've just been disappointing for longer.

Oh, and Edmonton doesn't need LD. At all. Even a little bit. Ignoring the ENORMOUS gulf in value between Slavin and McDavid, positionally it doesn't make a lick of sense for Edmonton.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
you're doing good in this thread! giving you well earned head pats.
Aww, I thought we were moving on and starting a fun back and forth banter dynamic, but you’re still hurt from our prior encounters. You’ll heal eventually. Probably not this season though, or the season after…or the season after that lmao. Geez, I feel for you man hahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: chaz4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad