Speculation: The All Encompassing Edmonton Oilers Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
I doubt carolina trades slavin alone for McDavid. Only because carolina has all the right pieces in place and are looking like a contender for a cup run. Don't mess with a good thing.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
No thanks. I would rather keep McDavid and trade Bouchard and other assets to get a decent right handed d-man.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
BTW dudes the Canes slogan this year is

##Cause Chaos

There is a lot of buy in.

OP be like:

<3 Tarheel

Worth remembering that Tarheel once explicitly said he was going to create a bullshit rumor, created a thread here with the exact same BS rumor he said he was going to create, and the hockey media picked it up and ran with it for months.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Preface: It sucks to suck and I think McDavid is the best player on the planet.

I don't think McDavid would work well on the Canes.

He seems like a me first diva who would clash heavily with Brindamour.
Is this a thing? Has anyone ever accused McDavid of attitude issues or being a diva? I'm legitimately asking. Like I remember him being frustrated about losing at times but that's hardly me first behavior. I'm a little baffled where some of these takes are coming from.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Who would Carolina's #2C be? Their #1D?

Yes, McDavid is better by a large margin. But the Canes just lost offense and defense.

FTR, I do think Canes would make trade. But still...adding McDavid doesn't necessarily make everything better. Especially in a team oriented sport.
Their #2 center would be the same guy it is now, Kokaniemi so they gain offense and lose defense.
D probably becomes much more evenly distributed with something like Pesce/Burns, Skjei/Orlov, Chatfield/TDA.

Reactions: Tryamw and geehaad

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Now I'm curious what it would take to acquire Slavin. Canes fans what do you think?

Would Makar + Rantanen get it done?

• Haha
Reactions: Coffey

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Look at the standings. What's that offensive superstar doing for you?

Defense wins championships, and Slavin is every bit as good at erasing goals as McDavid is at creating them.
Yes one game makes this an even trade bro.

It would absolutely make Edmonton a better team. Zero question. McDavid for Slavin alone would. But you're going to get emotional responses from Edmonton fans, not rational ones.
You are a laugh riot.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
So what do we think when all is said and done?

Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
Slavin
Howe

no way Slavin's worse than Orr

didn't you hear? he's the best shut down defenseman in the league

in the league

IN THE LEAGUE

IN THE LEAGUE

text-1699646812041.png

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I don't think you understand how marginal value works, despite seeming to love the phrase.

It has nothing to do with how many forwards or defensemen exist. It's simply how much better a player is than a baseline (average, replacement, whatever you want to use).

If you want to get into what's hard to find around the league, LHD is not at the top of that list.
Marginal value is a fundamental economic concept that has infinite applications both inside and outside of hockey, not a single hockey stat that can only be used in a single way. You can absolutely apply the concept to how important a particular position is within a roster. Goaltending is the most important, followed by defense, followed by forwards. You can break that down further to RD/LD or center versus wingers, or how valuable a 3rd liner is versus a 4th liner.

You also have to look at the marginal value of players not just adjusted for position, but adjusted for contracts. McDavid's contract is substantially more expensive than the vast majority of other players in the league. So you're paying 50% more for a guy who might only be 10% more valuable to a team on his own- so do you want to pay that, or do you want to split that extra money across 5 positions lower in your lineup where the additional dollar buys a much larger increase in talent? The difference between Aho and McDavid is currently roughly $4 million. McDavid is better than Aho, but is that gap in talent more than the gap in talent between a guy paid $1m and a guy paid $5m? So you do you spend that much to upgrade one forward, or do you spend that additional money to pay your 3rd D pair, who spend 15 minutes or so on the ice each, an additional $2m each? What buys you the most value to a winning roster?

Those are all questions of marginal value. If you only think of it as comparing one forward to another forward, you're entirely missing the point.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Marginal value is a fundamental economic concept that has infinite applications both inside and outside of hockey, not a single hockey stat that can only be used in a single way. You can absolutely apply the concept to how important a particular position is within a roster. Goaltending is the most important, followed by defense, followed by forwards. You can break that down further to RD/LD or center versus wingers, or how valuable a 3rd liner is versus a 4th liner.

You also have to look at the marginal value of players not just adjusted for position, but adjusted for contracts. McDavid's contract is substantially more expensive than the vast majority of other players in the league. So you're paying 50% more for a guy who might only be 10% more valuable to a team on his own- so do you want to pay that, or do you want to split that extra money across 5 positions lower in your lineup where the additional dollar buys a much larger increase in talent? The difference between Aho and McDavid is currently roughly $4 million. McDavid is better than Aho, but is that gap in talent more than the gap in talent between a guy paid $1m and a guy paid $5m? So you do you spend that much to upgrade one forward, or do you spend that additional money to pay your 3rd D pair, who spend 15 minutes or so on the ice each, an additional $2m each? What buys you the most value to a winning roster?

Those are all questions of marginal value. If you only think of it as comparing one forward to another forward, you're entirely missing the point.
you lose all credibility for handing out infractions for losing an argument bro. Horrible form.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
you lose all credibility for handing out infractions for losing an argument bro. Horrible form.

To make things clear.

I gave you the f***ing infraction for flaming another poster. Me. @Bear of Bad News. Not @cptjeff, who isn't even a mod in this subforum.

And you're getting one for this comment as well. Again, for flaming another poster. And again, from me (not from @cptjeff).

You may disagree with @cptjeff, but the reason that we trust him as a staff member here is that he understands the goddamn rules.

Smarten up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad