Prospect Info: The 2024 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Which player are you most looking forward to?

• Cole Hutson, LD [USNTDP, USHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zayne Parekh, RD [Saginaw Spirit, OHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Athletes of the past would be crucified in this landscape. Must kinda suck that previously if you had money and fame you still were able to do stuff without backlash, famous people today don´t get that luxury.
I mean... Is that not a good thing? People with money and fame not being able to be trash and commit crimes anymore seems like it should be a win for society, no?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
First step is to stay out of social media. Every platform is full of weirdos voicing their madness.

Athletes of the past would be crucified in this landscape. Must kinda suck that previously if you had money and fame you still were able to do stuff without backlash, famous people today don´t get that luxury.
Well that’s an awful take.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The book in Surin is mixed. He has as good of highlight package as most, but those don’t show his lows. He’s a good, but short of great skater. Has a nasty edge to his game. Then when he’s properly motivated, he’s a buzz saw all over the ice. Huge compete when that is happening. Which is most of the time… but 2 or 3/10 games or so, you’ll get efforts that make Rants look like a worker. He’s got a pretty solid shot too. Not a 30g shot, but it’ll have some pop. A lot of people like him as a center and think he has the skill set for it… he hasn’t played it a ton

The downsides are that he shows a lot of low IQ tendencies. The amount of forced plays he makes is going to deuce coaches crazy. Lots of hero ball in his game. Which additionally, he completely ignores systems and teammates where he tries to pull off moves that would require skill he just doesn’t have. His skill isn’t super high, he’s not unskilled… but he’s a middle 6er at best. Probably more of a 3rd line guy. He’s also super undisciplined. Takes stupid penalties with frequency and will take runs at guys. He goes over the line a bit too much.

How much you like Surin likely depends on how much you think you can tame him down, keep the game to game effect consistency up, and get him to play within the system. If you buy into that, you are targeting a buzz saw middle 6 guy who has some positional versatility. If you don’t buy into this, you have a guy who has significant bust potential without high end upside. Thats why he’s got a pretty wide range.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
42070.jpg

Definitely looks like a Yegor

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
The book in Surin is mixed. He has as good of highlight package as most, but those don’t show his lows. He’s a good, but short of great skater. Has a nasty edge to his game. Then when he’s properly motivated, he’s a buzz saw all over the ice. Huge compete when that is happening. Which is most of the time… but 2 or 3/10 games or so, you’ll get efforts that make Rants look like a worker. He’s got a pretty solid shot too. Not a 30g shot, but it’ll have some pop. A lot of people like him as a center and think he has the skill set for it… he hasn’t played it a ton

The downsides are that he shows a lot of low IQ tendencies. The amount of forced plays he makes is going to deuce coaches crazy. Lots of hero ball in his game. Which additionally, he completely ignores systems and teammates where he tries to pull off moves that would require skill he just doesn’t have. His skill isn’t super high, he’s not unskilled… but he’s a middle 6er at best. Probably more of a 3rd line guy. He’s also super undisciplined. Takes stupid penalties with frequency and will take runs at guys. He goes over the line a bit too much.

How much you like Surin likely depends on how much you think you can tame him down, keep the game to game effect consistency up, and get him to play within the system. If you buy into that, you are targeting a buzz saw middle 6 guy who has some positional versatility. If you don’t buy into this, you have a guy who has significant bust potential without high end upside. Thats why he’s got a pretty wide range.

To me a skilled guy, who had a pretty good motor and an edge to him would be a solid choice at 24. Based on your description and the highlights, he sounds a lot like Kadri. His edge work in parts of that highlight reel suggests that he might even have slightly better skating than Kadri.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

In a weak draft at 24, you simply won't find a kid without flaws. I think I'd rather take a shot on a low IQ, undisciplined flaw rather than skating or physical flaws.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
To me a skilled guy, who had a pretty good motor and an edge to him would be a solid choice at 24. Based on your description and the highlights, he sounds a lot like Kadri. His edge work in parts of that highlight reel suggests that he might even have slightly better skating than Kadri.
This draft in the late first is going to be about preferences and what scouts are really pushing for guys. Or the random faller. So I expect some significant variability as we get further.

I don’t think Surin approaches the realm of Kadri. There are similarities in style, but Kadri is legit 1st line talented and if he has it all together can play that role. Where Surin looks like maybe mid level 2nd line talent with similar flaws.

I don’t think the skating is as good as Kadri either. The level and big ice hides it a lot IMO. He’ll be an average to slightly above average skater in the NHL. Given his reliance on that skating, I worry about that translation.

In a weak draft at 24, you simply won't find a kid without flaws. I think I'd rather take a shot on a low IQ, undisciplined flaw rather than skating or physical flaws.
Preference will play a lot into it here and people will simply see that differently. IMO if I’m taking a shot, I’d rather bet on a higher skill player. He’s boom/bust without the high ceiling reward.

Reactions: Perratrooper

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
This draft in the late first is going to be about preferences and what scouts are really pushing for guys. Or the random faller. So I expect some significant variability as we get further.

I don’t think Surin approaches the realm of Kadri. There are similarities in style, but Kadri is legit 1st line talented and if he has it all together can play that role. Where Surin looks like maybe mid level 2nd line talent with similar flaws.

I don’t think the skating is as good as Kadri either. The level and big ice hides it a lot IMO. He’ll be an average to slightly above average skater in the NHL. Given his reliance on that skating, I worry about that translation.

Preference will play a lot into it here and people will simply see that differently. IMO if I’m taking a shot, I’d rather bet on a higher skill player. He’s boom/bust without the high ceiling reward.
That's a fair strategy. I'm a bit concerned that I can't think of a good comparible in the NHL for Surin.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's a fair strategy. I'm a bit concerned that I can't think of a good comparible in the NHL for Surin.
At his best, reminds me of Barbashev… and that’s who his supporters will point to. Most of the time he reminds me of Nick Cousins.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
The more I think about this draft from an Avs perspective, I'd want Connelly or Hage. Those are your two best reasonable bets at walking away with a top 6 forward. Both are 6.0/6.1, plus skaters who can make plays at Avs pace. Put either on the wing next to Mittelstadt and there's a fit. I think it's possible one, if not both of them, will be there. Put them on the Makar dev track, 2 years NCAA and step in after that. I don't want a defenseman where even if you hit, you're looking at realistically 4-5 years away from an impactful player. I don't want a middle 6 upside type no matter how good you feel about it.

Having Ritchie and Connelly/Hage stepping into the top 9 on elc's is the best hope to building this back into a winner.

If both are off the board, trade the pick for the best cap value player you can get. Whether that's for a top 9 forward, a defenseman who can carry the 3rd pair, or an upgrade in net.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The more I think about this draft from an Avs perspective, I'd want Connelly or Hage. Those are your two best reasonable bets at walking away with a top 6 forward. Both are 6.0/6.1, plus skaters who can make plays at Avs pace. Put either on the wing next to Mittelstadt and there's a fit. I think it's possible one, if not both of them, will be there. Put them on the Makar dev track, 2 years NCAA and step in after that. I don't want a defenseman where even if you hit, you're looking at realistically 4-5 years away from an impactful player. I don't want a middle 6 upside type no matter how good you feel about it.

Having Ritchie and Connelly/Hage stepping into the top 9 on elc's is the best hope to building this back into a winner.

If both are off the board, trade the pick for the best cap value player you can get. Whether that's for a top 9 forward, a defenseman who can carry the 3rd pair, or an upgrade in net.
Hage is a guy that I don’t think gets nearly enough love. He may not make it at center due to some of his faults (could have they round out), but he’s got legit talent.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I'm just starting out reading up on the draft, and haven't really seen much footage yet, but one guy I'm really interested in is Sasha Boisvert.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Hage is a guy that I don’t think gets nearly enough love. He may not make it at center due to some of his faults (could have they round out), but he’s got legit talent.
I like Hage too. I think he's a wing in the NHL, but I'd be comfortable saying there's 70 point upside. I've seen his hockey sense knocked, but I don't mind it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Just pick Connelly if available.

The fact that he has a letter on his jersey leads me to believe that he's no longer a troublemaker or a bad teammate.

If a top 5 talent in the draft drops at #24 you take him.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm just starting out reading up on the draft, and haven't really seen much footage yet, but one guy I'm really interested in is Sasha Boisvert.
Upside is the ultimate question there. He’s got size, bite and a shot. His vision and effort can use work, but he should be at least a 3rd line NHLer, with a good chance of being a 2. Skating has improved, but wont ever be a strength in the NHL. People knock it but he has the size to make it not a big deal IMO.
So outside of Connelly or Jirichek falling, who do you think the best and most reasonable target is?
Hage and Girdin have the offensive upside in the USHL. Boisvert is a solid all around sort of pick. Parascack has the most raw skill and offensive upside, but skating needs work (I don’t mind that risk since he’s a wing). Mews is going to be a player, just not an all around #1 sort… his offense will have good pop in the NHL. Pettersson is risky at his size, but I really like his game.

Those are the names I really like. They are all fairly flawed, but hit things I tend to like in prospects.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

Surin’s skating and vision looks elite. Can anyone give some background to this kid?

He appears to be ranked from about 29-63. Just seeing how smooth he is out there, I would definitely want to take a flyer on him.

Surin is definitely a projection. He’s got skill and some nasty to his game. Probably waiting a while for him but I think that’s the case with everyone at 24. He’s not my top choice there but I like him more than Chernyshov now.

I’ve heard nothing but bad things about Connelly off the ice, especially his parents. Want nothing to do with him. A letter in Juniors doesn’t mean much. Bleackley was a Captain when drafted. Hardly a leader.

Deadsy

May 8, 2021
Just pick Connelly if available.

The fact that he has a letter on his jersey leads me to believe that he's no longer a troublemaker or a bad teammate.

If a top 5 talent in the draft drops at #24 you take him.

He cost US the U18 gold medal less than two months ago. 10 minutes remaining, US in a 3-2 lead, Connolly delivers a stupid hit to head and gets ejected. Canada scores 3 times on the 5 minute PP. Game ends 6-4 for Canada. Guy is an idiot.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Other than Hage, are there any guys who were projected to go higher but had injury problems pushing them down?

Jiricek is another player that falls into that category. 6’2” right handed defenseman who had a season ending knee injury. He’s supposed to be pretty good, but I’m far from the right person to provide a good break down or a prospect.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Jiricek is another player that falls into that category. 6’2” right handed defenseman who had a season ending knee injury. He’s supposed to be pretty good, but I’m far from the right person to provide a good break down or a prospect.
He’s the one… top 7 talent if the injury recovers fine. With how the latter half of the 1st is, I expect he won’t fall to 24.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad