Prospect Info: The 2024 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Which player are you most looking forward to?

• Cole Hutson, LD [USNTDP, USHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zayne Parekh, RD [Saginaw Spirit, OHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Pronman posted each team's biggest need at the draft.

The Avs' biggest need is a dman:

soHnqUJ.png

Reactions: LTCPain75

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Reactions: Alienblood

Tomen

Jun 21, 2024
Hoping that someone like Igor Chernyshov drops a few spots due to the russian factor and we can snag them or maybe trade down a few spots if possible and grab someone like Stiga. We need to shoot for someone that can make an impact offensively in like 3 years due to all the UFAs we have then.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hoping that someone like Igor Chernyshov drops a few spots due to the russian factor and we can snag them or maybe trade down a few spots if possible and grab someone like Stiga. We need to shoot for someone that can make an impact offensively in like 3 years due to all the UFAs we have then.
If that's the criteria, the two guys you target are Connelly and Parascak... nobody else in the mid 20s offers their pure offensive upside. That doesn't mean they'll hit it as both have significant risks, but they are the most offensively gifted in the latter half of the first.. by a pretty large margin.

Tomen

Jun 21, 2024
If that's the criteria, the two guys you target are Connelly and Parascak... nobody else in the mid 20s offers their pure offensive upside. That doesn't mean they'll hit it as both have significant risks, but they are the most offensively gifted in the latter half of the first.. by a pretty large margin.
Correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that they are mostly one dimensional pure offense guys. Ideally we could get someone that can provide offense without being a liability on the other end. Just some quality midlle 6 forward is what I would hope for.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that they are mostly one dimensional pure offense guys. Ideally we could get someone that can provide offense without being a liability on the other end. Just some quality midlle 6 forward is what I would hope for.
Neither are pure offensive guys. I wouldn’t say either are guys who will add at the defensive end, but they shouldn’t hurt either. Connelly has quite a bit of grit too. Parascak doesn’t have that, but he loves dirty areas.

I’m simply saying if you’re valuing offensive impact first and foremost, those two names are the guys who can give you the most. Both possess 1st line potential.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm actually thinking he's our pick as well.
There are a handful of teams who have been high on him (including the Avs) at the end of the first. If rumors are to be believed (at this time there's more steam than smoke), Montreal is very hot after him and testing the waters on the cost to trade up with the target being 21-23... 2+2=5.

I'm not sure he'd be my pick, but I do get why people like him a lot. He's a very projectable and likable player.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Parascak is a big no from me. Guy looks like a total passenger. Convinced no one ever taught him how to skate either.
I don’t agree. Dude knows exactly where to be on the ice. Supremely intelligent in the offensive end. Finds space, battles, takes punishment, crashes the net. He’s not going to be a flashy driver, but he’s the guy who you can pair with any talented player and he finds success. He’s also a supreme playmaker and feeds his teammates high danger chances at a very high rate (for WHL rookies the numbers are batty).

He’s not nearly as bad of skater as people paint him. It’s wonky and ugly more than bad. Similar to JRob in junior. Needs refinement, but should improve with time. He also creates a ton of rush chances off breakups and reads… skating past some guys people consider good skaters. It needs work, but I think he’ll be good enough at the NHL level.

He reminds me a lot of Toffoli and JRob in junior. I don’t think he has the shot of JRob, but has more talent than Toffoli with that same IQ and drive.

IMO people are sleeping on him because he doesn’t look pretty or flashy. He won’t go top 20, but I think he’s going to be looked back at as a clear top 20 player from this draft.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm actually thinking he's our pick as well. Again, I think it's dumb to go for wingers.
I get what you are saying and actually believe in taking the BPA regardless of position, but by the late 1st there is a wide array of views on who the BPA is. That being said, I'm also sick and tired of the Avs drafting centers like Newhook and Jost too. Just completely vanilla wastes of high picks because this team managed to whittle a group of centers that included MacKinnon, O'Reilly, Stastny and Duchene down to just Nate.

I think what bums me out the most about this draft is this crop of goalies aren't worthy of a 1st rounder. Would probably be the proper place and time to grab one if there was.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I get what you are saying and actually believe in taking the BPA regardless of position, but by the late 1st there is a wide array of views on who the BPA is. That being said, I'm also sick and tired of the Avs drafting centers like Newhook and Jost too. Just completely vanilla wastes of high picks because this team managed to whittle a group of centers that included MacKinnon, O'Reilly, Stastny and Duchene down to just Nate.

I think what bums me out the most about this draft is this crop of goalies aren't worthy of a 1st rounder. Would probably be the proper place and time to grab one if there was.
I see it as if you're drafting a winger, then he's going to stay a winger his entire career. However, if you draft a centre, a good chance he can remain as a centre or be moved to the wing.

The problem with Newhook and Jost is they were never strong draft prospects during their year. I quite liked Jost at the time, but looking back in hindsight, he was super vanilla (as you mentioned). While I was never a fan of Newhook, I saw a player who needed the powerplay to get a ridiculously high point total showing a limit in his 5v5 play. I would prefer Avs to pass on players like Beaudoin as well since he's in the vanilla pile for me.

I keep harping on centre or defence since Avs can become extremely weak in these positions. Avs have only one quality centre in Ritchie throughout the entire system and Mittelstadt's contract today shows that he's probably gone in those three years...meaning we need another high calibre centre in our system. We cannot solely allow Ritchie to be the only one, so I want to draft the BPA centre, especially considering that the draft is going to be mega wildcard heavy. There is a good chance somebody falls to the Avs pick who should've been taken at 15th overall. Now, if Avs draft him is another story entirely lol. Defenceman is another position you can never have too much of and if you stockpile, then trade them away for high picks or for young similar talented forwards that fill a hole. Agreed on the goaltending, this crop is what I consider below average personally, but there is always one or two that are worth a shot. Nonetheless, last year's draft was the one to draft one quite high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad