Prospect Info: The 2024 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Which player are you most looking forward to?

• Cole Hutson, LD [USNTDP, USHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zayne Parekh, RD [Saginaw Spirit, OHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Just one more opinion from me. Whoever drafts him should probably not fast track him into NHL.
If the Avs draft him, he's going to get the Nuke treatment where he's going to be smuggled into Area 51 from the media and brought out during only certain occasions like a Christmas tree or for controlled publicity events as FDR was.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Connelly is far from the only ahole in the draft I'm sure but the Avs don’t need another excuse to write a kid off. I’m also not convinced he has elite talent even though they need to start drafting for talent.
Let's see it this way:

If Connelly falls to 24 what are the chances that a more talented player is out there?

And if this more talented player exists what are the chances that the Avs draft him at 24?

Yea, that's close to zero.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Connelly is far from the only ahole in the draft I'm sure but the Avs don’t need another excuse to write a kid off. I’m also not convinced he has elite talent even though they need to start drafting for talent.

This is 100% certain. There is a kid who will very likely go top 10 (at very minimum 12) who also has some very significant off ice concerns, they just aren't as public. If they got out, he'd slide... but if they stay out of the public realm, he could go very high.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
One of the best interviews I've seen since Ho-Sang, I want this lad to go 1st overall now.

His hairline might be on Duncan Siemens level though, damn.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I honestly feel the exact opposite with character issue players. If you have a good leadership group, you should bring them into the fold ASAP. Ryan Getzlaf is a very prime example of just that. Big character red flags caused him to drop. They got him up right after the lockout around some of the best leaders in the game and he matured very quickly. Keeping these kids away from real structure, leadership, and teachings on what it means to be a pro does them a larger disservice. If you have a good leadership group, you bring players like this in early. The sooner they are around good pros, the better.
I agree with this philosophy.

I also don't think the Avs have had the leadership group the last two season to have done well. Without Landy, we have players who take care of themselves to the best of their abilities, but I do not believe they've done a good job watching over and taking care of each other since Landy got hurt.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Just got two post seasons blown up by a character issue and everyone wants to go back to that well....:facepalm:

Non zero chance this becomes another Mitch Miller and the team taking him gets burned so bad in the media they have to walk away from the pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
meh. Nuke was arguably our Smythe winner or at least runner up in 2022 as well. How did we get him? Buying low. Gotta take chances or we can just settle in for a slow and painful regression to mediocrity then the basement of the league.
I agree the Avs have to take chances but there are just some red flags worth avoiding. And to be clear, there was no indication even with all the red flags he already came with that this was coming.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Comparing this kid to a dude addicted to drugs and partying with hookers?

That's a bit of a reach. I won't claim to know about his character issues but if he isn't doing that, he's nothing remotely close to Nichushkin.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Comparing this kid to a dude addicted to drugs and partying with hookers?

That's a bit of a reach. I won't claim to know about his character issues but if he isn't doing that, he's nothing remotely close to Nichushkin.

I dunno I think I'd rather deal with the coke-and-hookers guy rather than the shit-in-his-teammate's-hockey-bag-and-likes-Nazism guy.

Really, I don't want either of them, but if I had to choose...

• Haha
Reactions: jabubenice

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I dunno I think I'd rather deal with the coke-and-hookers guy rather than the shit-in-his-teammate's-hockey-bag-and-likes-Nazism guy.

Really, I don't want either of them, but if I had to choose...
One of those things is done by a kid aged 14-16, the other done by a grown married man.

I'm not advocating for Connelly, but IMO there's a greater chance of "fixing" him than Nichushkin.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
One of those things is done by a kid aged 14-16, the other done by a grown married man.

I'm not advocating for Connelly, but IMO there's a greater chance of "fixing" him than Nichushkin.
Yep, introduce the kid to the shitter in the bathroom... Can't help with the nazi shit though

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Try to trade down for 2 2nds and hope O'Reilly and Beaudoin are there...or just draft one of those guys, they've both got pretty good motors and developing skill sets. Could be good 3rd liners with outside chance of being a Lehky type complimentary

I'd also be perfectly happy with Solberg, hard hitter, defensively has some really good tools

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

That's fair. I'd still steer clear of this kid though. 14 or not 14, he's giving some very serious Tony DeAngelo vibes and literally every team that took that guy on has lived to regret it.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Is our leadership group any good? Our captain who everybody worships is a glorified mascot, our best player is a Nice Guy, our other best player is either a despotic psychopath or a petulant child depending on whether or not we're winning, and the guy who pads his stats because of them chain smokes and seems to score points in spite of himself nowadays. Our other leader is apparently Andrew Cogliano who is done.

Which one of them is going to keep the nazi bag pisser in line?
I haven't been paying attention and must be missing something, Mikko is a chain smoker?

Reactions: Chiarelli

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think this is another perfect time to practice gratitude that I didn't grow up in era of smartphones and social media.

Childhood is naturally supposed to be full of f***ups. That's how we learn to become adults. Unfortunately, some kids have better environments to learn in while others get some real shit role models. I have no idea where this kids' heart is. But I'm getting a bit burned out by everyone being called nazis these days. It desensitized the severity of what we are actually talking about. But then again, the nuance between bigotry and racism can be an extremely fine line as well. IF he truly is a supporter of white supremacy than he is obviously more gifted as an athlete than as a scholar or even a sane and critically thinking human being.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Fine. The next Tony DeAngelo. Even without Geo we wouldn't want him anywhere near this team.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I think this is another perfect time to practice gratitude that I didn't grow up in era of smartphones and social media.

Childhood is naturally supposed to be full of f***ups. That's how we learn to become adults. Unfortunately, some kids have better environments to learn in while others get some real shit role models. I have no idea where this kids' heart is. But I'm getting a bit burned out by everyone being called nazis these days. It desensitized the severity of what we are actually talking about. But then again, the nuance between bigotry and racism can be an extremely fine line as well. IF he truly is a supporter of white supremacy than he is obviously more gifted as an athlete than as a scholar or even a sane and critically thinking human being.
First step is to stay out of social media. Every platform is full of weirdos voicing their madness.

Athletes of the past would be crucified in this landscape. Must kinda suck that previously if you had money and fame you still were able to do stuff without backlash, famous people today don´t get that luxury.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
First step is to stay out of social media. Every platform is full of weirdos voicing their madness.

Athletes of the past would be crucified in this landscape. Must kinda suck that previously if you had money and fame you still were able to do stuff without backlash, famous people today don´t get that luxury.
Nobodies get burnt by it too. If you are looking for a job scrub your social, any employer will make a check.

Reactions: TruePowerSlave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad