Prospect Info: The 2024 NHL Entry Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which player are you most looking forward to?

• Cole Hutson, LD [USNTDP, USHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zayne Parekh, RD [Saginaw Spirit, OHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Uh, no. I've been in youth hockey locker rooms and yes, some egregious shit goes on in them, Lord knows I said some gawdawful things trying to impress my teammates that I wish I had never said. BUT, no way in hell would anybody in those locker rooms defecate in someone's bag.

This kid sounds like baaaaaaad news. Avoid avoid avoid.
This has never been confirmed (at least to my knowledge), and everyone I know denies it and says it is made up. He absolutely did piss in a teammates bag and there is context behind that... but nobody really cares to hear it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Uh, no. I've been in youth hockey locker rooms and yes, some egregious shit goes on in them, Lord knows I said some gawdawful things trying to impress my teammates that I wish I had never said. BUT, no way in hell would anybody in those locker rooms defecate in someone's bag.

This kid sounds like baaaaaaad news. Avoid avoid avoid.
You don't want our own Amber Heard? Life is too boring, we need somebody to sparken up our day. Picture the lockerroom with Trevor, MacKinnon, Mikko, Nuke, and Georgiev! All we need is to get Byram back and sign DeAngelo.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You don't want our own Amber Heard? Life is too boring, we need somebody to sparken up our day. Picture the lockerroom with Trevor, MacKinnon, Mikko, Nuke, and Georgiev! All we need is to get Byram back and sign DeAngelo.
Nuke has generated more than enough drama on his own. I'm fine with the Avs going with some more dullards.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
@henchman21 Connelly said that Ty Hanson was the best defenceman in the USHL. Worth a selection as an overager? Seems like exploded this year as a potential late bloomer...
He's a really tough sell to teams. He's a 5'9" 165lbs defensive defensemen with a physical edge. The offense is a bit of a mirage. He can skate absolute circles around the USHL and he can be so aggressive with that in the offensive zone, he just finally utilized it this year (read this does not make him an elite skater on an overall level, but at the USHL level). But his hands, shot, vision really isn't on that level at this point. I kinda doubt that will ever come around. Maybe he's a 25-30 point guy if everything clicks, but really he's a 5'9" zone entry denier. Which is a skill that not many his size have been successful with in the NHL. He's likely to be a dominant college player in a couple years.

If I was a team with a ton of 5th-7th rounders, I'd probably take a flier. At the moment the Avs have a few, so wouldn't be the worst pick depending how the board falls.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He's a really tough sell to teams. He's a 5'9" 165lbs defensive defensemen with a physical edge. The offense is a bit of a mirage. He can skate absolute circles around the USHL and he can be so aggressive with that in the offensive zone, he just finally utilized it this year (read this does not make him an elite skater on an overall level, but at the USHL level). But his hands, shot, vision really isn't on that level at this point. I kinda doubt that will ever come around. Maybe he's a 25-30 point guy if everything clicks, but really he's a 5'9" zone entry denier. Which is a skill that not many his size have been successful with in the NHL. He's likely to be a dominant college player in a couple years.

If I was a team with a ton of 5th-7th rounders, I'd probably take a flier. At the moment the Avs have a few, so wouldn't be the worst pick depending how the board falls.
So no chance he can get to 5'11" and gain like 20 lbs for a Radko Gudas clone? Not arguing since people have different genetics, but Crosby is 5'11" and 200 lbs, so Hanson can potentially get to 5'10.5" and 183 lbs no?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So no chance he can get to 5'11" and gain like 20 lbs for a Radko Gudas clone? Not arguing since people have different genetics, but Crosby is 5'11" and 200 lbs, so Hanson can potentially get to 5'10.5" and 183 lbs no?
I really don't think so. His frame is more Spurgeon than Gudas.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I wouldn't be mad with the Avs picking Connelly. I think what he did was much less alarming than Mitchell Miller's conduct (the personal nature of the cruelty Miller showed is what's really egregious to me). He's also saying the right things in public, and while obviously there's no way to know if he's sincere, it's a lot better than Miller's "apology" where he seemed to still see himself as a victim.

The Avs have a lot more resources than I do to learn about his character. If they sign off on him, I'll trust their judgement.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If the Avs are doing a lot of homework on Connelly I'll trust them with their decision. Kids often need to grow up so maybe he did. You would think Landy would be a very good influence on him as captain.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Meh, the Avs dgaf about Val Nichushkin doing cocaine and basically ruining his life until it bit them in the ass.

I don't trust this organization to judge people well. They'll draft who they think can help them win, and those draft picks will never play NHL games because our amateur scouts are about as useful as a ripped condom.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Meh, the Avs dgaf about Val Nichushkin doing cocaine and basically ruining his life until it bit them in the ass.

I don't trust this organization to judge people well. They'll draft who they think can help them win, and those draft picks will never play NHL games because our amateur scouts are about as useful as a ripped condom.
Here's the thing, as you stated the Avs simply don't know how to draft.

If at #24 they have the chance to draft a top 5 talent who may or may not be a shithead then they should take that chance 10 times out of 10.

Reactions: Alienblood

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

This is why a good GM regularly practices abstinence and trades his draft picks for actual useful players. It just gets freaking expensive.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Here's the thing, as you stated the Avs simply don't know how to draft.

If at #24 they have the chance to draft a top 5 talent who may or may not be a shithead then they should take that chance 10 times out of 10.
At this point, I no longer have delusions of the Avs running a clean organization. They will cover up anything they can get away with. So sure, if the league isn't going to step in and nullify the pick, if he's still on the board you roll the dice.

Last edited:
Reactions: henchman21

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
At this point, I have delusions of the Avs running a clean organization. They will cover up anything they can get away with. So sure, if the league isn't going to step in and nullify the pick, if he's still on the board you roll the dice.
In the end it won't matter, this team will use whatever draft picks they have on guys that end up in the ECHL, Europe, or quitting hockey altogether after 3 years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
At this point, I no longer have delusions of the Avs running a clean organization. They will cover up anything they can get away with. So sure, if the league isn't going to step in and nullify the pick, if he's still on the board you roll the dice.

Yup. It should be well known. They’ve drafted and acquired plenty of players with character issues. They care about winning. That said, they are not above trumpeting the character PR when they get a clear chance.

FTR I do think there are still on and off ice concerns with Connelly. There are worse players on the ice that I’d take ahead of him due to risk. At a certain point, the risk/reward balance is too far tilted to ignore.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Oh that's the nazi prospect. I don't think the Avs would go for it. Big difference between cocaine and nazism. One's a vice and the other is hate.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Oh that's the nazi prospect. I don't think the Avs would go for it. Big difference between cocaine and nazism. One's a vice and the other is hate.
To be fair, it sounds like the kid has legitimately tried to make amends for it - a very different approach than Mitchell Miller who made a public display of "changing" but when you dug further than the surface level, realized he was only sorry for getting caught. That being said, I don't think the Avs will go for it regardless.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
well we had a prospect before at that weight and he never grew. Do you think it's a possibility with Connelly ? I mean that's seriously skinny
He'll be fine. Comparing him to players with a smaller frame is where this is odd. Weiss was 5'10" Hanson is 5'9"... Connelly is 6'1". He's going to end in the same realm as Kyle Connor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad