GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft, June 28 - 29, 2023

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Here it is: The 2023 NHL Draft GDT.

Our list of picks is for reference below. I will update the OP if we make any deals with some of these picks throughout the day.

Will also try to update the OP as picks are made, and link to each prospect's discussion thread.

RoundPick#OAConditionsPick Made/Disposition
1stDET9N/A9OA: Nate Danielson
1stNYI17From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka
2ndDET41
2ndSTL42From St. Louis (21 Mar 2022). Leddy Trade
2ndVan43From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.
3rdDET73
4thMIN117From Minnesota (3 Mar 2023). Sundqvist Trade.
5thDET137
6thDET169
7thDET201

Last edited:

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
7 guys left I Would be thrilled with;;
Brindley, Danny Nelson, Cristall, Gauthier, Haltunnen, Fisker Molgaard and Gibson.

And some other more notable names left;
Heidt, Dragecevic, Pekorich, Ziemmer, Dvorak, Sawchyn, Felix Nilsson, Akey, Hrabel and Wahlberg

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Danielson was my back up pick, so i should be happy but i am slightly disappointed since Dvorsky was still available. We still get a similar player, Danielson is better skater but Dvorsky more skilled. But Danielson is right handed and finally Wings have a RHC, very valuable thing to have.

Bedard already said that Danielson is hardest player that he has played against, that's a quite good endorsement. And i guess Hakan had something on Dvorsky, that made Yzerman pass on him.

@Realgud i guess we both take an L, since Dvorsky and Benson were available. :laugh:

Yzerman selected a defenseman under 6'0'' in the 1st round

- i repeat -

If i remember it right, this is a 3rd time that Yzerman picks d-man 6'0'' in a draft. So this must mean that ASP is more special than we see. D corps are starting to be set for the future.
----------------------------
Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 06-33-14 2023 Draft Prospect Polls Happy_Mad with Colby Barlow at #9.png

Told ya so ;)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We still came out with 2 good players and we could end up like 5 NHL players out of this draft, that is very good.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The more I watch video of Danielson and Dvorsky, the more I'm convinced he was the better pick. His combination of skating, faceoffs, and speed will make him a very good 3c. If he works on either his shooting or passing and is able to develop them he'll be a good 2c.

The Wings have been very good at building skills in their drafted players. I'd really like to see him go to Sweden.

Dvorsky has 1c potential but his skating is not really close to Danielson's and that might really hold him back at the NHL level. I feel like it's a lot harder to develop skating like Danielson's than it is to strengthen a shot.

Not a fan of trading Hronek for 17 and then drafting the same archetype, especially at a position where we are really strong. Would've rather seen that pick traded to address a weakness in the current roster.

I could see Danielson getting NHL experience in his D+2. One more year in the WHL, one year in the AHL.

Last edited:

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Mount Arrowsmith Brewing
He's going to gain 2 inches in height between the age of 18 and 22? Wow that's odd.

OK. And he's Cale Makar too. Yep.

I mean, I get it. I want to support the team too. And I will. I wish this wee tiny soft offensive defenseman who shoots from the same side as most of our defenseman prospects all the best. I really do.

And I hope Danielson ends up better than Dvorsky and Moore and all of these apparently much more promising prospects.

And I'll root for both of these two guys. Of course.

But right now, tonight: I am so disappointed in these two picks, in the waste of draft capital...I know a trade takes someone else willing to make one, but would Buffalo have traded 13 plus a later pick for 9? I'm thinking yes. Would Danielson have been available at 13? I'm thinking definitely yes.

Allow me to be disappointed, and to vent. ARRRAGGGGGAAApukeOHSHITTHATHURTIVOMITEDWHILEIWASSCREAMINGAARRRGGHHH
This is an absolutely ridiculous post, and calling him tiny is embarrassing. He’s bigger than Hughes, the same size as Makar, etc.

Do you actually watch hockey?

Reactions: Henkka

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
Neither pick was who I’d have taken. But, Yzerman, so far, has a pretty good track record as a GM. He has a whole staff who are well payed to watch these kids, interview these kids, and project their arc as players going forward. I see the logic in why they picked who they picked. We have a fast, skilled, RH center who plays well all over the ice. We have a defender who could make a pretty sweet compliment to the towering d core we have been building; he could boost our weak powerplay in a couple of years. I just hope they both work out.

Given who was available with the picks we had, id probably have taken Benson at 9 and gone with Moore or Barlow at 17. Time will tell how they all pan out…

I am excited at the potential of three consecutive picks tomorrow. That gives us chances to take some swings on homeruns, either the super-skilled type or the physical type that are hard to play against but can score in the tough areas. We need both…

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
He's going to gain 2 inches in height between the age of 18 and 22? Wow that's odd.
I generally understand you are upset with your post but ... This makes no sense. Players grow between the time they're selected and when they start getting NHL games (assuming it's a multi-year process) all the time. I'd think especially as a Wings fan you'd recognize that? Weren't Datsyuk and Zetterberg both drafted as "undersized"? I know they were never hulking beasts but they both grew a couple inches and filled out to be strong two way Cs at the NHL level. I'm not saying ASP is going to have Z/D level impact in his career I'm just pointing out, expecting a guy to grow a couple inches and put on like 15-20 pounds between draft day and his NHL debut is basically standard.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I generally understand you are upset with your post but ... This makes no sense. Players grow between the time they're selected and when they start getting NHL games (assuming it's a multi-year process) all the time. I'd think especially as a Wings fan you'd recognize that? Weren't Datsyuk and Zetterberg both drafted as "undersized"? I know they were never hulking beasts but they both grew a couple inches and filled out to be strong two way Cs at the NHL level. I'm not saying ASP is going to have Z/D level impact in his career I'm just pointing out, expecting a guy to grow a couple inches and put on like 15-20 pounds between draft day and his NHL debut is basically standard.
I generally agree with everything you said. Most people dont grow in height beyond 17-18. It does happen but it definitely isnt the norm. Doesnt really mean anything you said was inaccurate though.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I generally agree with everything you said. Most people dont grow in height beyond 17-18. It does happen but it definitely isnt the norm. Doesnt really mean anything you said was inaccurate though.
I think if you were to gather a huge sample of data for players who made it to the league and took their height from their draft day and their height when they made the NHL (again, assuming this is in that 18-22yo range that was pointed out), there will be an increase there. I understand that a guy like Michael Rasmussen might have gotten his growth spurt very young but there are plenty of people who gain an extra inch or two in their late teens or early twenties.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I think if you were to gather a huge sample of data for players who made it to the league and took their height from their draft day and their height when they made the NHL (again, assuming this is in that 18-22yo range that was pointed out), there will be an increase there. I understand that a guy like Michael Rasmussen might have gotten his growth spurt very young but there are plenty of people who gain an extra inch or two in their late teens or early twenties.
Well, I cannot dispute that . If just one player grows, there is an increase there (unless we have someone shrinking, haha). I pick up what you are laying down.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Well, I cannot dispute that . If just one player grows, there is an increase there (unless we have someone shrinking, haha). I pick up what you are laying down.
I realized that as I was hitting post lol. I guess I should say, without having any data in front of me, I'd expect that number to land somewhere between 1-2 inches rather than 0-1 inch, for example.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
At this rate f trading away the 2nds and pick 3 straight and get your guys. Stevie said were still In a rebuild f debrincat

If theres someone he really loves move the 3rd and move up but I say we further stockpile the prospect pool with 3 high end 2nds with the prospects still there

Wahlberg strbak akey whiteclaw nilsson lind molgaard Nelson halttunen heidt brindley cristall perron allen bertucci rehkopf sawchyn

I'm sure yzerman would pick none of those guys lol but you can cross 8 of those out and still walk out with 3 really good 2nds

Reactions: deca guard

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The more I watch video of Danielson and Dvorsky, the more I'm convinced he was the better pick. His combination of skating, faceoffs, and speed will make him a very good 3c. If he works on either his shooting or passing and is able to develop them he'll be a good 2c.

The Wings have been very good at building skills in their drafted players. I'd really like to see him go to Sweden.

Dvorsky has 1c potential but his skating is not really close to Danielson's and that might really hold him back at the NHL level. I feel like it's a lot harder to develop skating like Danielson's than it is to strengthen a shot.

Not a fan of trading Hronek for 17 and then drafting the same archetype, especially at a position where we are really strong. Would've rather seen that pick traded to address a weakness in the current roster.

I could see Danielson getting NHL experience in his D+2. One more year in the WHL, one year in the AHL.

If he only becomes a 3rd line center, how is that good with a top 10 pick? He has to become at least a 2nd line player, otherwise it is a loss from a top 10 pick standpoint.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If he only becomes a 3rd line center, how is that good with a top 10 pick? He has to become at least a 2nd line player, otherwise it is a loss from a top 10 pick standpoint.
Zadina lowered our standards.

Aliens snatched his body, apparently.

Small D and tall forward is the exact opposite of his MO in the first round.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad