The 2017-2018 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What will the Coyotes do before the deadline?

• Total voters

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Imagine if the Coyotes are drafting 3rd (again) and this trade is on the table :popcorn:

Probably depends on the status of OEL negotiations. If they don't think they can resign OEL, could see Chayka moving the 3rd for Hamilton.
If Az drafting 5th it becomes a possibility IF OEL elects to not re-sign.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
My shopping list really only consists of a guy who can play effectively at 3C. I'd like to get Domi back to LW ASAP.

Stepan-Dvorak-NewGuy-Richardson looks pretty okay to me. Up to Strome next camp to force Chayka to make a move. If he can't force Chayka's hand, then it should be Strome himself getting traded in the Fall.

Zack Smith and JP Pageau have both been rumored to be on the move. So has Vladimir Sobotka. I like all three.

EDIT: Having said all that, the MIN 2nd has the least value today and the most value when it’s on the clock on the draft floor. When it represents a real prospect with a real place on a team’a draft list. That’s the smarter time to trade the pick for a player. Then again, if you can get the guy you want for the pick today, why wait?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigJCaRoach

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
So far, I'd say it's a good day to be a buyer. I feel like the Brassard and Stastny prices were pretty cheap and the Nash price was fair. Even Hartman was had for a reasonable price, I think. I feel like these are win-wins. Sellers are getting the asset types (if not asset volumes) they want for assets they don't need. Buyers are getting assets they want without selling the whole damn farm. This has been a level-headed affair so far, IMO.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We were more active than I expected with the Rieder deal. This was a good day to not have sold low.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
So far, I'd say it's a good day to be a buyer. I feel like the Brassard and Stastny prices were pretty cheap and the Nash price was fair. Even Hartman was had for a reasonable price, I think. I feel like these are win-wins. Sellers are getting the asset types (if not asset volumes) they want for assets they don't need. Buyers are getting assets they want without selling the whole damn farm. This has been a level-headed affair so far, IMO.
Appeared, maybe not surprisingly, buyers started winning as the day went on. Stevie Y leveraged the Rangers formally documented desire to sell off players to his advantage. SJ with a prudent deal for Kane. Vegas may have overpaid for Tatar.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I think the Tatar deal was the only drastic overpay. Vegas just missed on Karlsson and scrambled to get something done quickly with Detroit. That was a mistake.

Buyers did well on Brassard, Nash, Stastny, Kane, Maroon, and McDonagh. I also think the sellers on those particular guys really didn't get ripped off. The Blues maybe should've either got more for Stastny or sold more. Moving that one single piece was a bit of a head scratcher. Largely, a level-headed day for trades. I actually think the Rangers did fine. Miller is inconsistent and Namestnikov (even with bloated numbers) is much more steady. Howden, Hajek, 1st and 1st/2nd for McDonagh with no retention of any kind is fine for the Rangers, I think.

With what the Rangers did last year at the draft (Andersson and Chytil) and in picking up Namestnikov and Spooner this deadline, I really could see them being open on Zibanejad. Maybe for Dylan Strome at the draft.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
For now, anyway... feeling a little iffy about the draft with Chayka's allusions to "getting better players." We'll see.
Well yeah. We're an entire 1st line short of being a playoff team. Haha. He's also said Domi and OEL are good players and we need more good players not fewer good players. I take this to mean that like last summer, picks and prospects aren't safe.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The Coyotes are 9-7-5 in 2018 with a dead even goal differential. This isn't really that good. Until you consider that they were 9-26-5 this season prior to January 1st, with a -50 goal differential.

Why do I mention this? Well, we have a lot of young guys already on the roster. We need to them to develop in a positive environment. If we trade all of our veteran players for mid-round picks and start losing 2 of every 3 games again, how are our valuable young NHLers supposed to develop?

Eventually they need to be exposed to a competitive NHL environment where they have a chance to win most nights and have a reason to fight and grow.

Getting measly picks for likes of Hjalmarsson, Richardson, etc. isn't worth dropping Keller, Chychrun, Perlini, Dvorak, Fischer, etc. into the bog of eternal stench and ensuring we can never wash the stink of losing off of them at any point ever.

The AHL team is crushing it with Crouse, Strome, Merkley, Capobianco, Wood, etc. The NHL team is just starting to look like an NHL team most nights. Today was the day for the GM to just sit on his hands and not pull the rug out from his young assets. He picked up some veteran AHL help, and left the veteran players on the NHL roster right where they are. That was the correct course of action.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'd be the most unhappy if I'm Boston. Loading up for the playoffs only to be outdone by Pitt and Tampa, at least on paper.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Today was the day for the GM to just sit on his hands and not pull the rug out from his young assets.

I think it's less about the environment and more about everything revolving around a potential OEL deal. You wouldn't trade Hjalmarsson if you hope to keep OEL. You wouldn't trade Domi unless you were already several trades deep in a reconfiguration of the team. Likewise for Richardson. Nobody probably wants Schenn. The one asset with value but no real utility to the team got traded.

Reactions: hbk and rt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad