The 2017-2018 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

What will the Coyotes do before the deadline?

• Total voters

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
But do you prefer a few months of Raanta to a late 1st? Of Raanta on a bad deal to a late first?

Am I the only one thinking Raanta may give a small "new-hometown-discount" to the first team who treated him as a starter? Cause that would, as we all know, be the Yotes. And he deserved to be a starter.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Am I the only one thinking Raanta may give a small "new-hometown-discount" to the first team who treated him as a starter? Cause that would, as we all know, be the Yotes. And he deserved to be a starter.

He might. Then again, he could do what Greiss and Dubnyk did and parlay his good play into a contract demand that we won't pay. But I have faith in Raantaplan.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I think Hjalmarsson is too important to trade. Otherwise they’d have done it yesterday.
I kind of figured that. Other than the mcd trade it was pretty quiet on the quality dmen front yesterday.

Humor me. I'm guessing a couple of near ready good prospects? What needs?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Humor me. I'm guessing a couple of near ready good prospects? What needs?

This is presupposing that we'd be in a position to draft Rasmus Dahlin. In that case, we would need a good-to-great center or right wing prospect and a legit draft asset, I would think.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I read a lot about players and hometown discounts but have a really hard time coming up with a list of guys who have actually done it??

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I read a lot about players and hometown discounts but have a really hard time coming up with a list of guys who have actually done it??

Fairly certain most people agree Zuccarello did this on his current contract with the Rangers.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
But do you prefer a few months of Raanta to a late 1st? Of Raanta on a bad deal to a late first?
We can't keep trading players that are playing well and have the potential Raanta does for late picks. Chayka Hedged with Kuemper and likely knows what it will take to sign Raanta. We will sign him at market value, I'm not worried about it, there won't be a bidding war.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Seriously though there is a severe difference between Doan taking less after 15 plus years to stay somewhere vs Raanta taking less after 5 months. If Raanta signs for less than expected it will probably more from a reality of good situation and low cost of living. But if someone goes stupid ala Carolina and Darling I'd say he's leaving. That is if it goes to July 1st.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We can't keep trading players that are playing well and have the potential Raanta does for late picks. Chayka Hedged with Kuemper and likely knows what it will take to sign Raanta. We will sign him at market value, I'm not worried about it, there won't be a bidding war.
Oh, I'd have preferred to resign him before the deadline instead of having us over a barrel in the land of sunshine and lollipops where getting closer to free agency opening somehow makes him more inclined to sign a favourable deal (for us). Extending Mueller is great on an island, but makes it even easier for Chayka to do something stupid in negotiating with Raanta's camp.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Curious to see what that extension looks like. I wonder if he'd go short term. Like 9 over 2. Or 12 over 3.

(I'm referring to Hammer, not Raanta)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
“At the end of the season we’ll sit down and take a hard look at what we need to add and improve upon, but right now we have maximum flexibility and we have significant assets in order to go out and make some significant moves. That’s my goal and I’m going to be aggressive with it.” -- Chayka

Sounds like it could very similar to last year's draft.

Reactions: RABBIT

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't like trading first round picks unless it's to make a cup run. Even if we have our usual luck in the lottery, I hope we don't do that again. Trading a top 10 pick when you're rebuilding doesn't make a lot of sense.

Reactions: Name Nameless

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Shatty, but that was his true hometown.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Shatty, but that was his true hometown.
An offensive D man who cracked 50 points once in his career and can't play 5v5 gets paid $6.65 million per year and that's suggested as taking a hometown discount??? He has the 13th highest Cap hit for D men, where would you suggest he ranks??

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Seriously though there is a severe difference between Doan taking less after 15 plus years to stay somewhere vs Raanta taking less after 5 months.
Definitely but he did answer your question. Sounds like what you really meant to ask is are their any examples of players who have only been with a team for a noticeably short period of time yet still took a hometown discount. In that case I can't think of any.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad