The 2017-2018 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What will the Coyotes do before the deadline?

• Total voters

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
So it seems Ian Cole has less trade value than Holden? How? Holden has term but he’s overpaid and not very good. Cole is a quality 3rd pair D, especially in the playoffs. What does this mean for Schenn? If I were a playoff team, I wouldn’t want either of Holden or Schenn but if I had to have one, it’d be Schenn. The most confusing, and therefore most likely scenario, would be Schenn for a 2019 3rd. Then there’d be just no way to make sense of any of it. LOL.

Surprised the Cole return was a 2020 pick. So the Senators aren’t seeing that player for 6 years.

A little annoyed we got stuck with both KConn and Schenn, but the market seemed to dry up. Weren’t many moves. Also glad we kept Domi, Raanta, Hammer.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I also like how Chayka says he’s laid the groundwork for some possible summer moves.

I think we need a 2c (basically a Stepan clone), a 2/3 RW, and a RD.

Depending on what happens in the draft lottery will guide the above.

If we win Dahlin, there’s the RD. Or even put him on the left and keep Goose on the right where he has played recently.

If we’re picking 2-4, you can select one of Svechnikov, Tkachuk, or Zadina to fill the winger role. Tkachuk plays LW but you can move some things around.

Not sure how you answer the C question just yet. Maybe rt is on to something with Strome for Zibanejad. Maybe we sign Bozak as a UFA. Maybe Stastny is an option. I thought he would re-sign in STL but obviously that is no longer the case. Is he too old for what we’re trying to do? Maybe, but the same was said about Eric Staal and he’s having a helluva resurgence in Minny.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I have no issue with not trading at the TDL. I just don't see where we can deal from a position of strength this time around. We are not well supplied in talented wings, defenders or goalies. Who do we have that we can cut loose that will not weaken us as much as the return will strengthen us?

Reactions: Jakey53

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
rt is Don Maloney so I'm not quite sure the Strome for Zibby will come true.

Unless rt is Stan Wilson and has been around forever and is in on every meeting.

Either way, I'd trade Strome for Zibby this offseason. We might lose that trade in a few years, but I almost feel like I'd rather see him succeed elsewhere than bust here. hahaha

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The success or failure of this TDL comes down to whether we sign Raanta or not. Huge fail if not since we gave up #7 to get him and Stepan. Losing our starting goalie for nothing makes that deal very underwhelming.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Would you rather have Zib or RNH?
Tough call. Zibanejad is cheaper for now but not locked up as long. He also plays a more powerful, assertive game that we are missing up the middle, but he’s more injury prone as a result. RNH is more brain and Zibanejad more brawn. RNH is more productive but Z is a RHS. Tough call.

Anyway, I can’t see the Oilers moving the very speedy RNH for the slow footed Strome. Even if he brother and his BFF are both on the team. Chia just held a bizarre press conference in which he announced his belief that the oilers suck because they are fast enough. Then he traded the slow footed but effective and very popular Maroon for a 2020 3rd and a prospect who is certainly going to bust but has amazing wheels.

The Rangers seem to be in a good position to gamble. They’ve just added Namestnikov and Spponer. They have Andersson and Chytil in the AHL. They have Howden on the way. They don’t need to swing for the fences but they can afford to do so.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
One benefit of RNH for Strome is the Oil save $5M in cap space.

One concern with both RNH and Zib (and Stepan) is none of them are particularly strong at face offs. We waste so much time trying to get the puck back after losing the draw. Richie is our only good face off guy. Stastny would be great in this area. He'd also be the cheapest to acquire (just sign him as a UFA). He's also the worst and oldest compared vs. Zib and RNH.

Perlini - Stepan - Keller
Domi - Stastny - Svechnikov
Crouse - Dvorak - Fischer
Nook - Richie - Cousins

Is this a playoff caliber team?

I'm also starting to wonder if it's almost better if we pick 2nd... Does Svech fill a bigger need for this franchise than Dahlin (assuming OEL re-signs)?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Would you rather have Zib or RNH?
RNH for me, I think he grew a lot as a player last season and was about to show that when he broke his ribs this year. He's a very smart player so I think he will continue to learn the game.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Hi guys, Leaf fan here. What would you guys realistically be looking for for Hjalmersson in the offseason? I think that he'd be a perfect fit for the Leafs as a huge Polak improvement and a stopgap for Liljegren. Is he too important to OEL to trade?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
Stansy is really interesting and someone I had my eye on but didn't think we could pry from St. Louis. Could try the same approach we were talking about taking with Thorton. Come in, help the kids for a year or two and we will trade you at the deadline to a playoff bound team. Then you can come back and retire here and golf with Doan, Whitney and Sullivan for the rest of your life.

Sign for a nice chunk of change, retain 50% once traded.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Hi guys, Leaf fan here. What would you guys realistically be looking for for Hjalmersson in the offseason? I think that he'd be a perfect fit for the Leafs as a huge Polak improvement and a stopgap for Liljegren. Is he too important to OEL to trade?
I think Hjalmarsson is too important to trade. Otherwise they’d have done it yesterday.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
RNH for me, I think he grew a lot as a player last season and was about to show that when he broke his ribs this year. He's a very smart player so I think he will continue to learn the game.
I agree, but I don't want either until we see what we have in Strome.We have to call up Strome this year to see if his game is progressing, same as a few other players. We have to have an idea where these players stand before the end of the season, and if we don't call up any players it could really bit us in the a-- in the future.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I agree, but I don't want either until we see what we have in Strome.We have to call up Strome this year to see if his game is progressing, same as a few other players. We have to have an idea where these players stand before the end of the season, and if we don't call up any players it could really bit us in the a-- in the future.
I would take RNH either way, you can't have too many higher end centers. If Strome is better he will get the minutes, if he isn't he will be the 3rd line center. 60 minutes in a game, it would be very nice to have 3 good centers to play most of them.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would take RNH either way, you can't have too many higher end centers. If Strome is better he will get the minutes, if he isn't he will be the 3rd line center. 60 minutes in a game, it would be very nice to have 3 good centers to play most of them.
Of course, but what are you going to give up to get RNH? RNH won't come cheap.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Of course, but what are you going to give up to get RNH? RNH won't come cheap.
I've read here that he is severely overpaid and not worth anything in trade so I think RNH plus a 2nd round pick for a 3rd round pick should do!!!:sarcasm: Honestly I think he has value and I'm making no suggestion as to what should be given, just that I like him and he would be a good addition. I don't really see how we have anything we'd be willing to give up that Edmonton wants???

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I prefer Raanta to a late 1st round pick. Same with Hjalmarsson. And Domi.
But do you prefer a few months of Raanta to a late 1st? Of Raanta on a bad deal to a late first?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad