The “Wow He’s Still in the League?” Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I'll take this a different direction, looking at guys who are still playing outside of the NHL that will catch you by surprise.

AHL/ECHL
  • Peter Holland on the Avs ahl team. Hasn't played an nhl game since 2018.
  • Steven Kampfer has a contract with the Coyotes, and is playing in Tucson.
  • Ian White former Leafs, Red Wings and Flames Dman. Actually a documentary about his addiction. Cool to see him playing again even if it's the Echl.
Europe
  • Nikolai Kulemin is still playing in the K. He left the N with concussion issues six years ago, and is still around.
  • Ryan Spooner has been playing in the K for time now, and has been pretty good.
  • Lauri Korpikoski still has a contract in the SM Liiga for TPS. Hasn't been in the bigs for 7 years.
  • Linus Omark is still playing in the SHL has 18 points in 25 games. Wonder if he's still got his shootout prowess.
  • Valtteri Filppula is still playing, now in Switzerland. Thought he'd be about 50.
  • Daniel Winnik is still playing out in Switzerland as well. I still remember the leafs flipping him multiple times.
  • Damien Brunner a devils legend. Hasn't been in the league for 9 years.
  • Tomas Plekanec still playing out in the Czech league, looks to be pretty much done though now.
  • Martin Hanzal he's playing in the 4th-tier of professional czech hockey. He's got 32 points in 9 games.
  • Nikolai Zherdev playing in the 2nd-tier of Italy. Weird place to see him.
  • Sergei Kostitsyn is still playing in Belarus's professional hockey league.
I noticed the Czech guys play forever...for example, Jan Hlavac only retired this past season Jan Hlavac at eliteprospects.com

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Pavelski 2003 draftee

Alex Edler

alexander-edler-2023-40.jpg

Reactions: missionAvs

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Jakub Silfverberg is very surprising imo.

Not a scrub but a very milquetoast player, playing his 11th year in Anaheim and has stuck through their rebuild.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Everyone in here is answering Trevor Lewis. I’m gonna be really honest man- idk who the f*** that even is.

Anyways, Marco Scamdella is a good shout. Anyone forget Eric Johnson to some degree? Guess he was visible with Avs.
He won two Stanley Cups...odd that you're a big enough NHL fan to be here and don't know who he is.

He wasn't a "black ace" or a passenger for those cups, either. He was a key contributor.

Granted that was 10 and 12 years ago...

Reactions: HighLifeManIsHigh

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Zherdev is still playing? that dude was the original Filatov.
I guess the guy simply still loves playing hockey. He likely doesn't need the money, lives in a BEAUTIFUL Italian city, salary pays for the Brunello Wine and fine dining. Also stays young with a dressing room full of kids. Good for him, hell I PAY to play hockey a couple of times a week, and I certainly am not living in Italy.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Nick Bonino for my son and I last night. Probably because he's been out west for so long but surprised me to see him on the Rangers last night. It wasn't until the third period, I believe that we noticed him playing.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Not sure if it’s mentioned (probably because he doesn’t technically qualify for this given he is indeed now retired).

But it blew my mind that Nate Thompson of all players was in the NHL as many years as he was.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'll take this a different direction, looking at guys who are still playing outside of the NHL that will catch you by surprise.

AHL/ECHL
  • Peter Holland on the Avs ahl team. Hasn't played an nhl game since 2018.
  • Steven Kampfer has a contract with the Coyotes, and is playing in Tucson.
  • Ian White former Leafs, Red Wings and Flames Dman. Actually a documentary about his addiction. Cool to see him playing again even if it's the Echl.
Europe
  • Nikolai Kulemin is still playing in the K. He left the N with concussion issues six years ago, and is still around.
  • Ryan Spooner has been playing in the K for time now, and has been pretty good.
  • Lauri Korpikoski still has a contract in the SM Liiga for TPS. Hasn't been in the bigs for 7 years.
  • Linus Omark is still playing in the SHL has 18 points in 25 games. Wonder if he's still got his shootout prowess.
  • Valtteri Filppula is still playing, now in Switzerland. Thought he'd be about 50.
  • Daniel Winnik is still playing out in Switzerland as well. I still remember the leafs flipping him multiple times.
  • Damien Brunner a devils legend. Hasn't been in the league for 9 years.
  • Tomas Plekanec still playing out in the Czech league, looks to be pretty much done though now.
  • Martin Hanzal he's playing in the 4th-tier of professional czech hockey. He's got 32 points in 9 games.
  • Nikolai Zherdev playing in the 2nd-tier of Italy. Weird place to see him.
  • Sergei Kostitsyn is still playing in Belarus's professional hockey league.

I'm shocked Zherdev isn't in the KHL. Surely, even one of the garbage teams could use him? Unless he REALLY wants to live in Italy :laugh:

it was Michael Del Zotto for me until he retired a couple years ago. I thought he was out of the league in like 2016

He even got his name on the cup with the Blues in 2019

(Only played 7 games with them; zero in the playoffs)

Ditto Cam Fowler. Kinda crazy to think he's only 32.

I feel like I was watching him in the WJC + Memorial Cup like yesterday.

Reactions: HanSolo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad