The “Wow He’s Still in the League?” Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Jakub Zboril ultimately actually made somewhat of a name for himself. Playing in the A this year because of depth I presume.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
it was Michael Del Zotto for me until he retired a couple years ago. I thought he was out of the league in like 2016

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
I'll take this a different direction, looking at guys who are still playing outside of the NHL that will catch you by surprise.

AHL/ECHL
  • Peter Holland on the Avs ahl team. Hasn't played an nhl game since 2018.
  • Steven Kampfer has a contract with the Coyotes, and is playing in Tucson.
  • Ian White former Leafs, Red Wings and Flames Dman. Actually a documentary about his addiction. Cool to see him playing again even if it's the Echl.
Europe
  • Nikolai Kulemin is still playing in the K. He left the N with concussion issues six years ago, and is still around.
  • Ryan Spooner has been playing in the K for time now, and has been pretty good.
  • Lauri Korpikoski still has a contract in the SM Liiga for TPS. Hasn't been in the bigs for 7 years.
  • Linus Omark is still playing in the SHL has 18 points in 25 games. Wonder if he's still got his shootout prowess.
  • Valtteri Filppula is still playing, now in Switzerland. Thought he'd be about 50.
  • Daniel Winnik is still playing out in Switzerland as well. I still remember the leafs flipping him multiple times.
  • Damien Brunner a devils legend. Hasn't been in the league for 9 years.
  • Tomas Plekanec still playing out in the Czech league, looks to be pretty much done though now.
  • Martin Hanzal he's playing in the 4th-tier of professional czech hockey. He's got 32 points in 9 games.
  • Nikolai Zherdev playing in the 2nd-tier of Italy. Weird place to see him.
  • Sergei Kostitsyn is still playing in Belarus's professional hockey league.
Zherdev is still playing? that dude was the original Filatov.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Don't know if he's been mentioned but for any non-Avs fans out there, Andrew Cogliano is still in the league and has over 1200 games played and don't forget Jack MF Johnson.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Marc Staal I had to do a double take when I was listening to the pens/flyers game thought it was a different Staal.

And Riley Nash I remember so many times growing up seeing R.Nash And thinking it was Rick Nash.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
David Perron, if i am being honest. I was shocked to hear he was the guy who was suspended. I just assumed it was a younger player with the same last name.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'll take this a different direction, looking at guys who are still playing outside of the NHL that will catch you by surprise.

AHL/ECHL
  • Peter Holland on the Avs ahl team. Hasn't played an nhl game since 2018.
  • Steven Kampfer has a contract with the Coyotes, and is playing in Tucson.
  • Ian White former Leafs, Red Wings and Flames Dman. Actually a documentary about his addiction. Cool to see him playing again even if it's the Echl.
Europe
  • Nikolai Kulemin is still playing in the K. He left the N with concussion issues six years ago, and is still around.
  • Ryan Spooner has been playing in the K for time now, and has been pretty good.
  • Lauri Korpikoski still has a contract in the SM Liiga for TPS. Hasn't been in the bigs for 7 years.
  • Linus Omark is still playing in the SHL has 18 points in 25 games. Wonder if he's still got his shootout prowess.
  • Valtteri Filppula is still playing, now in Switzerland. Thought he'd be about 50.
  • Daniel Winnik is still playing out in Switzerland as well. I still remember the leafs flipping him multiple times.
  • Damien Brunner a devils legend. Hasn't been in the league for 9 years.
  • Tomas Plekanec still playing out in the Czech league, looks to be pretty much done though now.
  • Martin Hanzal he's playing in the 4th-tier of professional czech hockey. He's got 32 points in 9 games.
  • Nikolai Zherdev playing in the 2nd-tier of Italy. Weird place to see him.
  • Sergei Kostitsyn is still playing in Belarus's professional hockey league.

I will forever say that at a certain age if you haven't made the NHL, head to Europe, more $$ and just less punishment on the body over there for the most part.

On the other side of the coin, these other guys get to play the game a bit longer at a level they're more capable of.

I was a massive Kulemin fan when he was on the Leafs, glad he's still doing alright.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
cal clutterbuck, was mind blown to see him STILL playing for the isles after what seems like 39 years. no disrespect to him or anything, he's just a physical kinda guy who doesnt really offer a whole lot so Im actually impressed hes still in the league...just very surprised lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad