The “Wow He’s Still in the League?” Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Honestly totally forgot Perron existed until recently.

Matt Irwin is another but he’s in the AHL this season.

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
Curtis Lazar, Stefan Noesen, Chris Tierney, Nick Bonino
Tierney is so bad lol.

Gagner is a good one. Giordano I still remember watching in 2007 and I was a little shocked he is only 6 foot tall. I could have swore he was much taller. I guess that's just from watching him as a kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: robsenz

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Ryan Suter

Gagner's career is crazy.

He was waived by Philly in the 15-16 season which was his 9th season in the NHL, 9 seasons ago.

At that point, it looked like his career was close to over, seemed like the stage where lots of guys of his ilk head to Switzerland or the KHL.

Then he signed with Columbus and scored 30 points in his first 33 games there and has parlayed that into another 8 seasons in the NHL, almost entirely as a space-filler on terrible/tanking teams.

He's basically been veteran tank-aid longer than he was actually considered a player with value.
8 points never forget

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Pierre Edouard Bellemare is the 5th oldest active player

And then on the younger sude Nick Bonino had his moments with the Pens but I thought he kinda retired after.

And I remember Scandella being flipped by Bergevin for value being extrenely surprising in 2019-20. Hes still playing.

Michael McCarron, Jarred Tinordi, Noah Juulsen (eye injury) are former Habs picks I'm surprised are still playing games.

Based on his development with Mtl Im also surprised that Charlie Lindgren is seeing any type of success in the NHL - happy for him

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
This makes me feel old.

Mostly because I'm older than every one of these guys...and they were all in their 20s and in their prime not that long ago.

Pierre Edouard Bellemare is the 5th oldest active player

Except for this guy I guess 🙌

• Love
Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Except for this guy I guess 🙌

And on hockeydb his picture... Bellemare looks like a grandpa.

Looks like a crazy story though. Undrafted, from France (not a usual country), staryed in the NHL in 2014-15 pretty "old" for a first season, and never looked back or even played AHL.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Ditto Trevor Lewis.

I was also surprised to see Alex Goligoski in Minnesota's lineup when they played Vancouver a few days ago ... I kind of just assumed his career ended after last season.

Goligoski is the most surprising one to me in this thread.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Brendan Gallagher is still under contract for 3 more years 😭

It's weird, they gave Gallagher that enormous contract, after he had already steeply declined due to injury.

And that at the same time they didn't commit to Danault.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I'll take this a different direction, looking at guys who are still playing outside of the NHL that will catch you by surprise.

AHL/ECHL
  • Peter Holland on the Avs ahl team. Hasn't played an nhl game since 2018.
  • Steven Kampfer has a contract with the Coyotes, and is playing in Tucson.
  • Ian White former Leafs, Red Wings and Flames Dman. Actually a documentary about his addiction. Cool to see him playing again even if it's the Echl.
Europe
  • Nikolai Kulemin is still playing in the K. He left the N with concussion issues six years ago, and is still around.
  • Ryan Spooner has been playing in the K for time now, and has been pretty good.
  • Lauri Korpikoski still has a contract in the SM Liiga for TPS. Hasn't been in the bigs for 7 years.
  • Linus Omark is still playing in the SHL has 18 points in 25 games. Wonder if he's still got his shootout prowess.
  • Valtteri Filppula is still playing, now in Switzerland. Thought he'd be about 50.
  • Daniel Winnik is still playing out in Switzerland as well. I still remember the leafs flipping him multiple times.
  • Damien Brunner a devils legend. Hasn't been in the league for 9 years.
  • Tomas Plekanec still playing out in the Czech league, looks to be pretty much done though now.
  • Martin Hanzal he's playing in the 4th-tier of professional czech hockey. He's got 32 points in 9 games.
  • Nikolai Zherdev playing in the 2nd-tier of Italy. Weird place to see him.
  • Sergei Kostitsyn is still playing in Belarus's professional hockey league.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
1702345273072.png

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I'll take this a different direction, looking at guys who are still playing outside of the NHL that will catch you by surprise.

AHL/ECHL
  • Peter Holland on the Avs ahl team. Hasn't played an nhl game since 2018.
  • Steven Kampfer has a contract with the Coyotes, and is playing in Tucson.
  • Ian White former Leafs, Red Wings and Flames Dman. Actually a documentary about his addiction. Cool to see him playing again even if it's the Echl.
Europe
  • Nikolai Kulemin is still playing in the K. He left the N with concussion issues six years ago, and is still around.
  • Ryan Spooner has been playing in the K for time now, and has been pretty good.
  • Lauri Korpikoski still has a contract in the SM Liiga for TPS. Hasn't been in the bigs for 7 years.
  • Linus Omark is still playing in the SHL has 18 points in 25 games. Wonder if he's still got his shootout prowess.
  • Valtteri Filppula is still playing, now in Switzerland. Thought he'd be about 50.
  • Daniel Winnik is still playing out in Switzerland as well. I still remember the leafs flipping him multiple times.
  • Damien Brunner a devils legend. Hasn't been in the league for 9 years.
  • Tomas Plekanec still playing out in the Czech league, looks to be pretty much done though now.
  • Martin Hanzal he's playing in the 4th-tier of professional czech hockey. He's got 32 points in 9 games.
  • Nikolai Zherdev playing in the 2nd-tier of Italy. Weird place to see him.
  • Sergei Kostitsyn is still playing in Belarus's professional hockey league.
I saw Holland in a charity game last year, he was defintely the one guy who could still play potentially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad