Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
the window to trade demko is long passed. he's just too damaged now to return enough value to outweigh the value he brings if he can stay healthy for a playoff run

if the canucks had a clear cut replacement for him it'd maybe be different but silovs has a long way to go to prove he's that
Demko is a UFA at the end of the 2025-26 season at which point he'd turn 30. I suspect they nurse him back to health, and then move him well before then. Goalies don't traditionally fetch much in the trade market.....and unfortunately the Canucks would selling 'low' on Demko.

But this is a team that can always use more draft picks; and better prospects in the pipeline. Frankly, the thought of relying on a 30-year goaltender like Demko, with his injury history, would be a worrisome prospect moving forward.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Demko is a UFA at the end of the 2025-26 season at which point he'd turn 30. I suspect they nurse him back to health, and then move him well before then. Goalies don't traditionally fetch much in the trade market.....and unfortunately the Canucks would selling 'low' on Demko.

But this is a team that can always use more draft picks; and better prospects in the pipeline. Frankly, the thought of relying on a 30-year goaltender like Demko, with his injury history, would be a worrisome prospect moving forward.

My prediction has always been that they wait until the end of the 25/26 season before making that decision, but the performance of Silovs in the playoffs combined with Demko's injury history might force the decision sooner than that.

OEL's buyout cost is one of the other factors that could influence the decision here.

***must resist urge to devolve this thread into a Benning bash***

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Maybe deal Hoglander for Askarov if Demko won't be ready to start the season, and let Askarov and Silovs duke it out, and deal one of the three goalies by the deadline.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
the window to trade demko is long passed. he's just too damaged now to return enough value to outweigh the value he brings if he can stay healthy for a playoff run

if the canucks had a clear cut replacement for him it'd maybe be different but silovs has a long way to go to prove he's that

In terms of trade value, Demko obviously needs to prove that he can stay healthy and perform at a high level. If he is able to do that his value would be there. The trade market for goalies is unpredictable and usually depressed but a good example is Markstrom who returned Bahl and a 1st from NJ. Ullmark returned a 1st +.

Since Schneider, I don't think there's anything close in value as far as goalie trades.

I love Demko and I think he wants to win here but at the end of the day it can be hard to re-sign a 30 year old goaltender if there is an heir apparent. When Markstrom was an UFA, most of us wanted him back for 1 more year before Demko takes over. Will we have an heir apparent? Silovs?

I'm definitely in favour of trading for Askarov

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I believe the injury is to the knee if reports are true. Not sure other injuries were to the knee. Thought it was the hip (maybe wrong) and the surgery was, I believe, for the hip. If it is a different injury than before then you can have a lot more hope. However, if it is a persistent injury to the same body part, then that spells big trouble ala Schneider.

Wonder if anyone has more knowledge about this.
I dont agree.

I think (just my professional opinion based on the limited knowledge that what we have about his injury history) his injury issues are very likely all related to his hip problems. I think its called injury spiraling in english.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I believe the injury is to the knee if reports are true. Not sure other injuries were to the knee. Thought it was the hip (maybe wrong) and the surgery was, I believe, for the hip. If it is a different injury than before then you can have a lot more hope. However, if it is a persistent injury to the same body part, then that spells big trouble ala Schneider.

Wonder if anyone has more knowledge about this.
Last year in the playoffs I posted the entire process with his right hip. But everyone was parroting knee injury.
Any idiot could see if they reviewed the game, when he left the game he never favoured a knee type injury.
The procedure has about an eight week recovery but Demko has has a few hip "procedures".
It is a cleaning out of the joint but not a repair.

After months of being called names now it comes out. Fine everyone has an opinion but there is pages of data on the web for anyone to look up. Personal experience can also help.

Ever wonder why a team will not say it is a hip injury? Because getting him moving across the crease alone is enough to aggravate a bad hip so they say knee.

I have been posting my concern about his hips for two years now, both years he had something done in the summer and missed a good portion of those seasons.

I did use Schiender as an example but there are many other goalies as well.

The Canucks are still likely to say it was a knee or try to get the media to form that opinion.
Especially now that the Canucks are censoring more media persons to cover games and access.

Reactions: David71

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Last year in the playoffs I posted the entire process with his right hip. But everyone was parroting knee injury.
Any idiot could see if they reviewed the game, when he left the game he never favoured a knee type injury.
The procedure has about an eight week recovery but Demko has has a few hip "procedures".

After months of being called names now it comes out. Fine everyone has an opinion but there is pages of data on the web for anyone to look up. Personal experience can also help.

Ever wonder why a team will not say it is a hip injury? Because getting him moving across the crease alone is enough to aggravate a bad hip so they say knee.

I have been posting my concern about his hips for two years now, both years he had something done in the summer and missed a good portion of those seasons.

The Canucks are still likely to say it was a knee or try to get the media to form that opinion.
Especially now that the Canucks are censoring more media persons to cover games and access.
We've got a hip expert over here.

Reactions: theguardianII

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

Maybe a 3 way trade would be in order. We ship Demko out and get the Nashville prospect in return.

Then we go with Silovs and the Russian kid.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Maybe a 3 way trade would be in order. We ship Demko out and get the Nashville prospect in return.

Then we go with Silovs and the Russian kid.
Where has it come out?
I suppose there's a possibility that Demko heals up and avoids the injury bug for the rest of this season; and has another strong year in 2025-26 when his contract expires. At time he'd be 30.

But frankly given his injury history, I'd say the chances of that scenario unfolding is pretty remote. They need to start the planning today for a 'post-Demko future' in the crease.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
We’re pretty much f***ed without Demko imo. Pretty poor hindsight considering we are making all in moves.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So it's official......still a month away from training camp, and it's confirmed by Canucks Army that Demko will miss all of training camp and the exhibition schedule. And who knows how long after that? Without the benefit of a training camp or any exhibition action, they're hardly going to throw him in there at the start of the regular season.

It's a dilemma for sure. Do you squander valuable cap space you really don't have, to bring in some veteran......or do you roll the dice with Silovs and maybe Tolopilo as a backup, and hope Demko can make an early return and stay healthy?

I guess that's why the guys in the front office get paid the big bucks. My feeling is you let it ride with the young goaltenders. Obviously it's going to result in a few more losses at the start of the regular season. But if Silovs hadn't been forced into action for most of last year's playoff run and performed pretty admirably, I'd be feeling a lot more queasy about the state of the Canuck goaltending.

Reactions: theguardianII

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
at this point, you pretend Demko doesnt exist. You run Silovs and maybe sign a Vet backup.
If Demko isnt healhty until November / December, then you take his return as a plus and move forward.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
We've got a hip expert over here.
yes you do, knee's as well and concussions

So it's official......still a month away from training camp, and it's confirmed by Canucks Army that Demko will miss all of training camp and the exhibition schedule. And who knows how long after that? Without the benefit of a training camp or any exhibition action, they're hardly going to throw him in there at the start of the regular season.

It's a dilemma for sure. Do you squander valuable cap space you really don't have, to bring in some veteran......or do you roll the dice with Silovs and maybe Tolopilo as a backup, and hope Demko can make an early return and stay healthy?

I guess that's why the guys in the front office get paid the big bucks. My feeling is you let it ride with the young goaltenders. Obviously it's going to result in a few more losses at the start of the regular season. But if Silovs hadn't been forced into action for most of last year's playoff run and performed pretty admirably, I'd be feeling a lot more queasy about the state of the Canuck goaltending.
The team will hide whatever to enhance trade value and fan interest, sell tickets.

As many have stated his skill level is elite but his body might not be able to play the way the mind thinks.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

The timeline tracks but then the reports of him trying to rehab and comeback for the WCF really doesn’t … unless he was gonna try and play through a ligament tear, even a partial, I doubt it.

ACL recovery is usually closer to 6-8 months I think, so depending on when/if he had the procedure he could be out until January or later.

If he has an ACL he should have had the procedure quickly in May or something so he could be back earlier if he hits the lower end of the recovery estimate but probably sometime in October at the earliest.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
The timeline tracks but then the reports of him trying to rehab and comeback for the WCF really doesn’t … unless he was gonna try and play through a ligament tear, even a partial, I doubt it.

ACL recovery is usually closer to 6-8 months I think, so depending on when/if he had the procedure he could be out until January or later.

If he has an ACL he should have had the procedure quickly in May or something so he could be back earlier if he hits the lower end of the recovery estimate but probably sometime in October at the earliest.
i highly doubt demko was ready to even play in the wcf on one knee. what if first game he makes a split save again and then what? his career is done. long road to recovery ahead. it was posturing by the coaching staff anyways

Jaroslav Halak is available bring him back
yahh why not.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If true... I want to see our entire sports medicine department replaced.

There has been enough idiocy to warrant it already, but this SHOULD be the last straw.

Trying to guess from how he left the game what part of the leg is bothering him is as stupid as the body language doctors we have here letting us consistently know Elias Pettersson doesnt care about winning.

Just dont bother.

Its a reasonable bet that his bad hips are causing issues with his knees tho.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
i highly doubt demko was ready to even play in the wcf on one knee. what if first game he makes a split save again and then what? his career is done. long road to recovery ahead. it was posturing by the coaching staff anyways
It can be done.

Its absolutley career threatening, but can be done.

Niklas Bäckström (the goalie, not the C) for the Oulun Kärpät played the playoffs with a completely torn CL. I cant confirm if it was MCL or ACL. They wont he championship, and he went on to have a pretty decent NHL career after.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This post is for those too lazy to look up the difference between an ACL injury/tear and a hip labral/impingement injury. And Demko's double hip surgery in 2015.

For the record I have had both.

"Can I bend my knee with a torn ACL?

If you're able to put pressure on your hurt leg, you may notice that it's harder than normal to walk. Some people find that the knee joint feels looser than it should. Less range of motion. After you damage your ACL, it's very likely that you won't be able to bend and flex your knee like you normally would."

I had both MCL and ACL injuries and surgeries, a Gen II knee brace, an unloader, helps a lot but is bulky. When the injury happens the pain is excruciating unless it is a total detachment and then big pain then it subsides but the surrounding ligaments stretch and hurt like hell. But bending or twisting the knee is damaging to all the ligaments in the knee. Walking without a limp or bending your knee with weight on it is almost impossible and very painful.

"Hip labral tear symptoms include:
  • Pain in the hip, groin or buttocks, especially as you walk or run, and sometimes at night when you sleep.
  • Hip stiffness or limited range of motion.
  • A clicking or locking sensation in the hip joint when you move.
Hip Pain: It often feels like pain in the hip or groin area and can be mistaken for an abdominal issue or a groin strain. Locking: A hip labrum tear can also show up as a clicking, locking or catching sensation of the hip."

"Can you still walk with a torn labrum in your hip?"

Hip Labral Tear: Symptoms & Treatment

"Many people can walk with a hip labral tear. Some people feel no pain. Others can walk and move, but will feel noticeably uncomfortable. Even if you can walk, move or exercise with a hip labral tear, it might not be safe to do intense physical activity."

" Your doctor may also recommend cortisone injections to alleviate the pain associated with a hip labral tear."

2015;
"He had double hip surgery. He had an impingement on both sides, bone on bone, and he had torn labrums," said Thatcher's mom, Danielle Demko, "So it was both hips, and normally the doctor doesn't do both hips at the same time because the body can't handle all that trauma. When they tested Thatcher, they told him he was in such great shape, you can endure this, and Thatcher wanted to get both done and accelerate and be done with it and get back to playing."

This is a good article to read;

Which is more likely a chronic knee injury that lasts 2 1/2 years that is not operated on or the common goalie injury? An injury that most goalies know will be dealt with at the end of their career with hip resurfacing/replacements?

A push off and butterfly is the most stressful goalie move that can be put on a hip joint.

If you look at Demko's last save he pushes off and does the butterfly. When he gets up it is to one leg with the other on the ice, calls the ref over and leaves the game under his own power and without favouring either leg. Not like a knee injury.

Whatever the issue he will not have played more than 2 full games since March 9th over 6 months ago. His starts after long layoffs for his knee injury have been degrading.

I hope he can get back to playing his best BUT then a trade might be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad