Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I am a huge Demko fan, but the organization needs to start planning a permanent replacement for him right now. Silovs is an option but he isnt Demko caliber.

Massive blow to the org.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I honestly don't think we have a goalie to replace Demko at the moment, so these talks of trading him while Canucks are in the window to push for a cup is unlikely. Trading him would basically be giving up on the cup.

Trying to ride an inexperienced goalie and hope for a hotstreak is not likely the scenario for success.
I would also mention that Silovs probably took a couple teams by surprise... they'll have a better read on him next time, especially when he's a starter. Some of you guys are on Silovs "honeymoon" right now.
I mostly agree, but the flipside of that is will they bet on Demco being healthy for the playoffs?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The coaching staff needs to sit down with Demko, and convince him about the value of 'workload management'. And that doesn't just mean the regular season games that he plays.

From all reports, Demko works harder in practice than he does in the games. He's a workaholic on the ice, spending hours working on technique and facing practice shots. All this extra ice-time takes its toll on the body as well--and might be one of the reasons he even wore out his goaltending coach--Ian Clark.

Once the season hits, they need to get him off of the practice rink. I know it might kill him to take a couple of days off or stay off the ice between games, particularly on the road. But the convincing argument should be that 'you're no good to us in the playoffs, if your body breaks down'. Demko is smart guy from an Ivy League School. Hopefully he'll figure it out.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
I mostly agree, but the flipside of that is will they bet on Demco being healthy for the playoffs?

I think they have no choice but to.
They're not going to find a replacement of his caliber. When he's healthy, he's one of the top goalies in the league. If they want to risk it, at best they trade off key assets to gamble with another elite goalie that might play as well.

At this point, they ride with Demko or pray Silovs can surpass him, but unlikely, especially right now.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think they have no choice but to.
They're not going to find a replacement of his caliber. When he's healthy, he's one of the top goalies in the league. If they want to risk it, at best they trade off key assets to gamble with another elite goalie that might play as well.

At this point, they ride with Demko or pray Silovs can surpass him, but unlikely, especially right now.
With where the Canucks currently are the definitely shouldn’t trade Demco, but I would strongly look at bringing it another guy just in case.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I am a huge Demko fan, but the organization needs to start planning a permanent replacement for him right now. Silovs is an option but he isnt Demko caliber.

Massive blow to the org.
Alright, what exact steps should management take to plan a permanent replacement for a Vezna caliber goalie? Like literally, what's step 1 that a GM has to take to do that?
there's probably 20-22 GM's out there that would value this golden idea you have...

in reality, you either blow high picks on goalie prospects which will then be 4 years away MINIMUM or you blow a top prospect for a guy like Askarov...but there are no more top goalie prospects on the market sooo this is not an option.

...the reality here, is that Management has a young goalie who stepped into playoff hockey and did adequate. That's as good as you're going to get.

Last edited:

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
IF there is a run. If they are 8 points out by January the odds are not in their favour.

And now Silovs has a knee issue.

Two, One, Zero - Who is in net? Topolio? I think he could be very good but without Clark? Two unsigned GA goalies? We know Clark's resume for having goalies make marked and very quick improvement but the new guy?

No vet goalies? No pressure eh?
Keep us in the loop.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The coaching staff needs to sit down with Demko, and convince him about the value of 'workload management'. And that doesn't just mean the regular season games that he plays.

From all reports, Demko works harder in practice than he does in the games. He's a workaholic on the ice, spending hours working on technique and facing practice shots. All this extra ice-time takes its toll on the body as well--and might be one of the reasons he even wore out his goaltending coach--Ian Clark.

Once the season hits, they need to get him off of the practice rink. I know it might kill him to take a couple of days off or stay off the ice between games, particularly on the road. But the convincing argument should be that 'you're no good to us in the playoffs, if your body breaks down'. Demko is smart guy from an Ivy League School. Hopefully he'll figure it out.
They need to use something like Catapult to track the number of butterfly & post integration reps during each training session.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
it may not even be a longterm play .... By the halfway mark, lets say Silovs is at the helm sporting a 918 save percentage and we're like 3rd in the West .... and Demko comes back and rattles off a 920 save percentage over his next 12 games.. i could easily see a team like NJ make a wild pitch for him assuming they're having issues with Markstrom. Demko rebounding partway through this season after coming off a Vezina nominated season the year prior is enough for a GM to take a swing for a playoff run. Nemec and a pick please!
Silovs managed to not lose them the series but he’s a very long way from being an NHL goalie.

His inability to work through screens lead to a bunch of weak point shot goals. Bouchard obviously, but Ceci.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty hard to judge a goalie like Silovs in the playoffs, when you're going up against tough teams like Nashville and Edmonton. every night. I mean there's a reason why the Oilers went all the way to game #7 of the Cup Finals.

Agreed that Silovs has at times had trouble tracking pucks that beat him from distance. But in a lot of cases goalies just make 'positional saves', on long-range bombs that they can't really see. It's something I'm sure he will work on relentless with his goaltending instructor.

Fortunately during the regular season, you aren't playing teams like the Preds and Oilers night after night. You look around the league, and teams like the Leafs, Oilers, the Avalanche and even the 'Canes, are winning a lot of regular season games with some pretty 'ordinary' goaltending.

Silovs is still no 'Demko'.....but he's good enough imo for the Canucks to win a lot of regular season games.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Pretty hard to judge a goalie like Silovs in the playoffs, when you're going up against tough teams like Nashville and Edmonton. every night. I mean there's a reason why the Oilers went all the way to game #7 of the Cup Finals.

Agreed that Silovs has at times had trouble tracking pucks that beat him from distance. But in a lot of cases goalies just make 'positional saves', on long-range bombs that they can't really see. It's something I'm sure he will work on relentless with his goaltending instructor.

Fortunately during the regular season, you aren't playing teams like the Preds and Oilers night after night. You look around the league, and teams like the Leafs, Oilers, the Avalanche and even the 'Canes, are winning a lot of regular season games with some pretty 'ordinary' goaltending.

Silovs is still no 'Demko'.....but he's good enough imo for the Canucks to win a lot of regular season games.
The reason the oilers made it that far is because of luck.

Not facing demo or a healthy stars team

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Silovs managed to not lose them the series but he’s a very long way from being an NHL goalie.

His inability to work through screens lead to a bunch of weak point shot goals. Bouchard obviously, but Ceci.
oh i agree. Silovs isnt really anything yet...he is no lock to be an NHL starter..but that wasnt my point.
My point is that there aint no other option right now or in the forseeable future to have this legit starter in place for if Demko's gets hurt again... he's as good a bet as you're goign to get...and a better bet than half the teams in the league have

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Alright, what exact steps should management take to plan a permanent replacement for a Vezna caliber goalie? Like literally, what's step 1 that a GM has to take to do that?
there's probably 20-22 GM's out there that would value this golden idea you have...

in reality, you either blow high picks on goalie prospects which will then be 4 years away MINIMUM or you blow a top prospect for a guy like Askarov...but there are no more top goalie prospects on the market sooo this is not an option.

...the reality here, is that Management has a young goalie who stepped into playoff hockey and did adequate. That's as good as you're going to get.
You are responding to a troll that wants essentially the whole team traded.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
After all the hand-wringing, Demko is apparently back on the ice skating and will actually be ready for training camp. Oh well.....another Canuck controversy looks ready to bite the dust.
Just make sure that there are no tic tacs or banana peels on the ice..
Are we at a point now where we need to bubble wrap this guy .

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Massive blow to the org.
The media as usual blew smoke up the ass of van fans.
GM said he would be ready for game 1 and they obviously know best.

I think your worrying needlessly in regards to Demko and the plan of succession. Demko has had a rough couple of years but t I think it's just bad luck, there's no evidence saying they related injuries or reason to think they will continue.

As for the succession, Ian is very very high on Tolipilo and thinks he's the most talented and physically gifted, prospect he's ever worked with and I get why and I think he breaks out massively this year. Both are further along than Demko was at that age IMHO, but my money is on Tolipilo becoming our next #1 with Silovs too good to be a career backup, moved down the road.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
After all the hand-wringing, Demko is apparently back on the ice skating and will actually be ready for training camp. Oh well.....another Canuck controversy looks ready to bite the dust.
Just skates? Like walking? Where?
The media as usual blew smoke up the ass of van fans.
GM said he would be ready for game 1 and they obviously know best.

I think your worrying needlessly in regards to Demko and the plan of succession. Demko has had a rough couple of years but t I think it's just bad luck, there's no evidence saying they related injuries or reason to think they will continue.

As for the succession, Ian is very very high on Tolipilo and thinks he's the most talented and physically gifted, prospect he's ever worked with and I get why and I think he breaks out massively this year. Both are further along than Demko was at that age IMHO, but my money is on Tolipilo becoming our next #1 with Silovs too good to be a career backup, moved down the road.
Demko is fairly old as far as star goalies go believe it or not. Some really good ones have been good since they were 23 yrs old. Demko will be 29 this season. Hellybuck will be 31.
Dhaliawal is a scumbag. It would be nice if he was taken to task once in a while.
He used to be a real honest source until they got an audience then the Canucks pressured him to become more a marketing arm of the team. At first being independent from Rogers he was believable but now it's like a ventriloquist talking.
He doesn't research what he is told from the Canucks.

Sure miss Botchford, just told it like it was. What was evident to thee majority of fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad