Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Friedman on a Sunday:

25. The thing that surprised most about Ian Clark stepping away from day-to-day Vancouver goalie duties was the timing. Usually those decisions are made earlier in the summer. The Rangers announced Benoit Allaire’s replacement this week, but they knew it was a foregone conclusion during the season. This one unfolded pretty recently and pretty quickly.

What to watch for will be how (or if) Thatcher Demko’s workload both on and off the ice changes under new supervision. No one is really sure about his timeline. The Canucks wanted Demko — who was recovering from injury — to play (preferably twice) before last year’s playoffs, so they knew if they could count on him. He made those two appearances and won Game 1 versus Nashville, then broke down and did not return in the playoffs. It wasn’t an unreasonable request, but did Demko, like any athlete would, push himself too hard to hit that target? And what does that mean for the future?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This post is for those too lazy to look up the difference between an ACL injury/tear and a hip labral/impingement injury. And Demko's double hip surgery in 2015.

For the record I have had both.

"Can I bend my knee with a torn ACL?

If you're able to put pressure on your hurt leg, you may notice that it's harder than normal to walk. Some people find that the knee joint feels looser than it should. Less range of motion. After you damage your ACL, it's very likely that you won't be able to bend and flex your knee like you normally would."

I had both MCL and ACL injuries and surgeries, a Gen II knee brace, an unloader, helps a lot but is bulky. When the injury happens the pain is excruciating unless it is a total detachment and then big pain then it subsides but the surrounding ligaments stretch and hurt like hell. But bending or twisting the knee is damaging to all the ligaments in the knee. Walking without a limp or bending your knee with weight on it is almost impossible and very painful.

"Hip labral tear symptoms include:
  • Pain in the hip, groin or buttocks, especially as you walk or run, and sometimes at night when you sleep.
  • Hip stiffness or limited range of motion.
  • A clicking or locking sensation in the hip joint when you move.
Hip Pain: It often feels like pain in the hip or groin area and can be mistaken for an abdominal issue or a groin strain. Locking: A hip labrum tear can also show up as a clicking, locking or catching sensation of the hip."

"Can you still walk with a torn labrum in your hip?"

Hip Labral Tear: Symptoms & Treatment

"Many people can walk with a hip labral tear. Some people feel no pain. Others can walk and move, but will feel noticeably uncomfortable. Even if you can walk, move or exercise with a hip labral tear, it might not be safe to do intense physical activity."

" Your doctor may also recommend cortisone injections to alleviate the pain associated with a hip labral tear."

2015;
"He had double hip surgery. He had an impingement on both sides, bone on bone, and he had torn labrums," said Thatcher's mom, Danielle Demko, "So it was both hips, and normally the doctor doesn't do both hips at the same time because the body can't handle all that trauma. When they tested Thatcher, they told him he was in such great shape, you can endure this, and Thatcher wanted to get both done and accelerate and be done with it and get back to playing."

This is a good article to read;

Which is more likely a chronic knee injury that lasts 2 1/2 years that is not operated on or the common goalie injury? An injury that most goalies know will be dealt with at the end of their career with hip resurfacing/replacements?

A push off and butterfly is the most stressful goalie move that can be put on a hip joint.

If you look at Demko's last save he pushes off and does the butterfly. When he gets up it is to one leg with the other on the ice, calls the ref over and leaves the game under his own power and without favouring either leg. Not like a knee injury.

Whatever the issue he will not have played more than 2 full games since March 9th over 6 months ago. His starts after long layoffs for his knee injury have been degrading.

I hope he can get back to playing his best BUT then a trade might be best.
No.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Friedman on a Sunday:

25. The thing that surprised most about Ian Clark stepping away from day-to-day Vancouver goalie duties was the timing. Usually those decisions are made earlier in the summer. The Rangers announced Benoit Allaire’s replacement this week, but they knew it was a foregone conclusion during the season. This one unfolded pretty recently and pretty quickly.

For what it's worth, Chibisov's firing and Gradin stepping away were noticed before it was announced (or not officially announced). The recent scouting hires, training staff changes, and Kate Pettersson were all announced a little more than a week ago. Other than that, it would seem more appropriate to announce Torenius and Yogi's promotions at the same time.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Clark's approach was kind of double-edged because it was so demanding. If he pushes Demko and himself (Woodley referred to another goalie coach who had to have double shoulder surgery because of the volume of practice shots they were firing) to the limit in practice, and it's clear he wants the goalie to be the hardest worker on the team....Well it's not surprising that because of that attitude and Demko's inherent competitiveness that he was going out and doing even more reps of a technique that is unnatural to the body on his own practice time.

So probably a good thing that Clark is no longer the day-to-day contact. Torenius has already learned the system and as a flexible and younger perspective is a good way to reset and probably get Thatcher to cool off a bit. Like I said before, his load has to be reduced in all aspects, on-ice and off-ice. I would argue that Torenius can bring parts of the Clark system forward that still make sense and eliminate some of the wasted effort. He has a lot of credibility as he learned from coaching Shesterkin who is all about eliminating excess movement.

Unfortunately if Demko is not ready for the season it also means this is the third off-season that he won't be conditioning the Functional Movement aspects of his off-ice training because he's just trying to return from the latest injury. So, not a great start.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is a huge season for Demko, who is a UFA at the end of the 2025-26 season. If he can't stay healthy this year, it would be a surprise if the Canucks decide to retain him once he hits 30.

And at that time he'd be due a big raise on his current $5m salary.....with the Canucks unlikely to want to match what he'd get on the open market.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
This is a huge season for Demko, who is a UFA at the end of the 2025-26 season. If he can't stay healthy this year, it would be a surprise if the Canucks decide to retain him once he hits 30.

And at that time he'd be due a big raise on his current $5m salary.....with the Canucks unlikely to want to match what he'd get on the open market.
Would you trade him now ? Just wondering

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Would you trade him now ? Just wondering
Unfortunately until he proves he can stay healthy for an entire season, his trade value would be diminished. Canucks will ride it out with him for at least this season. But heading into next season as he approaches UFA status, all bets are off.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Would you trade him now ?

i’ve lived through two SCF game sevens, at age 12 and 29. so now solidly in my 40s i kind of can’t help thinking about the odds of everything falling into place and how rare that is.

so with that frame of mind, acknowledging that we have two truly special players and two 100 pt forwards on top of that, i would rather roll the dice on demko holding up physically than rolling the dice that we either could be good enough to win without a game/series/season-changing goalie or find another one within this core’s window.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
i’ve lived through two SCF game sevens, at age 12 and 29. so now solidly in my 40s i kind of can’t help thinking about the odds of everything falling into place and how rare that is.

so with that frame of mind, acknowledging that we have two truly special players and two 100 pt forwards on top of that, i would rather roll the dice on demko holding up physically than rolling the dice that we either could be good enough to win without a game/series/season-changing goalie or find another one within this core’s window.
Beautiful post.

The Canucks will pull it off, you know they will!

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Unfortunately until he proves he can stay healthy for an entire season, his trade value would be diminished. Canucks will ride it out with him for at least this season. But heading into next season as he approaches UFA status, all bets are off.
If he can come back before January and perform to his standards it might be time for a trade at the TDL. There would be several teams that would offer up a decent return at that time. Maybe more than waiting until the end of the season.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
If he can come back before January and perform to his standards it might be time for a trade at the TDL. There would be several teams that would offer up a decent return at that time. Maybe more than waiting until the end of the season.
Zero percent chance we trade him this year. They’ll roll the dice he stays healthy for this year’s run. Next year is his final year on contract and I could see the conversations starting in the offseason all the way to the deadline. An aging-ish but not bad team desperate for goaltending like LA, close to home for Demko, might roll the dice on him for a trade.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

J.T. special too, my 1982 bro.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
you betcho @SS that management is going to be eyeballing Silovs pretty darn hard this year to see if he's the better bet going forward since it would be big cap savings as Demko is due for a MEGA raise. There is a small chance, but greater than 0 chance that a certain set of outcomes during the first half of the season would lead to Demko being traded to the East and Silovs crowned as a No.1 with a Vet backup brought in. The Pred's guy for example... not likely.but possible

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
you betcho @SS that management is going to be eyeballing Silovs pretty darn hard this year to see if he's the better bet going forward since it would be big cap savings as Demko is due for a MEGA raise. There is a small chance, but greater than 0 chance that a certain set of outcomes during the first half of the season would lead to Demko being traded to the East and Silovs crowned as a No.1 with a Vet backup brought in. The Pred's guy for example... not likely.but possible
I question how many teams would be lining up with Brinks trucks to pay Demko.

He could come back and play the last 3 quarters of the season at vezina level and I’d still think teams will be hesitant given the injuries.

Including us.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I question how many teams would be lining up with Brinks trucks to pay Demko.

He could come back and play the last 3 quarters of the season at vezina level and I’d still think teams will be hesitant given the injuries.

Including us.
it may not even be a longterm play .... By the halfway mark, lets say Silovs is at the helm sporting a 918 save percentage and we're like 3rd in the West .... and Demko comes back and rattles off a 920 save percentage over his next 12 games.. i could easily see a team like NJ make a wild pitch for him assuming they're having issues with Markstrom. Demko rebounding partway through this season after coming off a Vezina nominated season the year prior is enough for a GM to take a swing for a playoff run. Nemec and a pick please!

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Chances of Silovs taking on this extra load successfully in Demko's absence IMO is about 60%.

It's one thing to do pretty well in short tournament type situations but he hasn't shown any signs of being able to excel in a starter's role. Even in Abby so far.

I said at the end of the playoffs that ideally he would get a 30/20 AHL/NHL split. If Demko was healthy, it would probably limit his ceiling because he wouldn't get enough starts. Now that Demko is hurt, the unexpected workload probably limits his ceiling. In some cases this has ruined a goalie's career.

All our guys like Schneider, Marky, and Demko were studs with big workload in the AHL. And they all still had to adjust to NHL backup life before becoming NHL starters. I would argue Demko knows how to be the number one, BUT is still learning how to start and also be good in the playoffs. Every single one of those guys is more talented than Silovs.

Silovs is a guy with good athletic base, good physical tools, who is a bit sloppy technically due to a relatively late start under Clark. He reads the play about average. But most importantly, he isn't a great puck tracker. You can see he can struggle in open shots and fighting through screens which is also puck tracking. That would be a lot easier to work on in the AHL and in a lot of ways is combatted with reps and looks at shots in game situations.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's hard not to be pretty concerned about what the future holds for Demko and the Canucks. He was hurt in early March last year and missed the last 15 games of the season......then he comes back for basically one playoff game, and is hurt again. Supposedly it was a different knee injury that sidelined him the second time, but nobody is saying very much.

Now we learn he'll miss training camp and the exhibition schedule--which basically means he's been out for the most part of six months, and still may not be ready. It that isn't a huge 'red flag' I don't know what is.

I guess the Canucks will wait to see if any goalies are exposed on the waiver wire. But it has to be a big concern heading into the regular season.

Last edited:

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
It's hard not to be pretty concerned about what the future holds for Demko and the Canucks. He was hurt in early March last year and missed the last 15 games of the season......then he comes back for basically one playoff game, and is hurt again. Supposedly it was a different knee injury that sidelined him the second time, but nobody is saying very much.

How we learn he'll miss training camp and the exhibition schedule--which basically means he's been out for the most part of six months, and still may not be ready. It that isn't a huge 'red flag' I don't know what is.

I guess the Canucks will wait to see if any goalies are exposed on the waiver wire. But it has to be a big concern heading into the regular season.
You need to utilize your creativity and writing and make a youtube channel, or else I'm going to do it

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
J.T. special too, my 1982 bro.

jtm and petey are special the way my mom thinks i’m special or the way every fanbase always thinks it’s prospects are special

demko and hughes are a whole other level of special imo

also, 1981 late birthday, young man ;)

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
jtm and petey are special the way my mom thinks i’m special or the way every fanbase always thinks it’s prospects are special

demko and hughes are a whole other level of special imo

also, 1981 late birthday, young man ;)

I f***ing knew you were gonna pull this one on me 🤣

I just won a bet with myself so ya owe me a buck 👩‍⚖️

And I didn't mention Petey.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Zero percent chance we trade him this year. They’ll roll the dice he stays healthy for this year’s run. Next year is his final year on contract and I could see the conversations starting in the offseason all the way to the deadline. An aging-ish but not bad team desperate for goaltending like LA, close to home for Demko, might roll the dice on him for a trade.
IF there is a run. If they are 8 points out by January the odds are not in their favour.

And now Silovs has a knee issue.

Two, One, Zero - Who is in net? Topolio? I think he could be very good but without Clark? Two unsigned GA goalies? We know Clark's resume for having goalies make marked and very quick improvement but the new guy?

No vet goalies? No pressure eh?

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
I honestly don't think we have a goalie to replace Demko at the moment, so these talks of trading him while Canucks are in the window to push for a cup is unlikely. Trading him would basically be giving up on the cup.

Trying to ride an inexperienced goalie and hope for a hotstreak is not likely the scenario for success.
I would also mention that Silovs probably took a couple teams by surprise... they'll have a better read on him next time, especially when he's a starter. Some of you guys are on Silovs "honeymoon" right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad