Olympics: Team USA 2022

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Missed the first half of the year and started slow, but Jason Robertson is back up at a point per game and he doesn't seem to be on the radar for many.

Gonna be some hard decisions at winger.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I am not going complaining if Hartsy is going to be there as a fourth liner. Goligoski, no chance.

It wouldn't be bad having a piss ant like Hartman on the opposite wing of Brady Tkachuk causing havoc. I don't know if a hot 21 games is enough for Hartman but certainly doesn't hurt that the current AGM of Team USA knows him well.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Starting to look more and more likely again that we will not see NHL players at the Olympics.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Really? Why?

Omicron!

OIP.34w4iLNHfD-U8UF8NgAO8gHaE9

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I know USA is deep at defense, but Justin Faulk deserves consideration. He is really damn good. Has been the Blues best defenseman the last couple seasons.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I wonder if Pavelski/Robertson get a look?

I feel like Pavelski has a good shot, especially given Eichel's situation. He can play center and wing, he's good on face-offs and the PP, can slot in anywhere in the lineup, and he'd bring a veteran presence that USAH always chases.

I'm not sure on Robertson. His production speaks for itself but do they see him as a contributor at his young age if he's not in the top 9 and PP?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I feel like Pavelski has a good shot, especially given Eichel's situation. He can play center and wing, he's good on face-offs and the PP, can slot in anywhere in the lineup, and he'd bring a veteran presence that USAH always chases.

I'm not sure on Robertson. His production speaks for itself but do they see him as a contributor at his young age if he's not in the top 9 and PP?

Agreed. I think there's a good case to be made for Pavelski. Probably a bit soon for Robertson but if he keeps up this production he might be considered as well.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Been awhile since I updated my last projected roster, so here goes:

Forwards (x14):

Alex DeBrincat - Auston Matthews - Patrick Kane
Kyle Connor - Dylan Larkin - Jake Guentzel
Johnny Gaudreau - J.T. Miller - Max Pacioretty
Brady Tkachuk - Ryan Hartman - Matthew Tkachuk
Troy Terry
Extra: Jack Eichel

Defense (x8):

Jaccob Slavin - Adam Fox
Zach Werenski - Charlie McAvoy
Ryan McDonagh - John Carlson
Brett Pesce
Extra: Seth Jones

Goalies (x3):

Connor Hellebuyck
John Gibson
Jack Campbell​

Notes:
  • I imagine teams will be allowed more than 2 extras given COVID and games being in China but kept it minimal to make the decisions tougher.
  • Other players in my high consideration list as of now:
    • Forward: Chris Kreider, Joe Pavelski, Jason Robertson, Andrew Copp, Conor Garland, Vincent Trocheck, Brock Nelson, T.J. Oshie, Bryan Rust.
    • Defenseman: Quinn Hughes, Cam Fowler, Ryan Suter, Justin Faulk, Jaco Trouba, John Marino.
    • Goalies: Alex Nedeljkovic, Thatcher Demko, Jonathan Quick
  • While Hartman and Terry don't have the sustained pedigree to justify their selections per se, and I don't necessarily expect both even if they keep up their paces, a big part of being successful in short tournaments is capitalizing on players who are peaking with confidence.
  • That 4th line would be a ton of fun to watch, and a pain in the ass for the opposition, in a tournament not reffed by IIHF officials.
  • I'd be comfortable with any number of our goalies as the #1 guy. I imagine Gibson and Helle would each get games and whomever stood out first would be the guy, but don't count out Campbell.
  • Sad that one of our first 3 selections wouldn't even make my gameday lineup. Stan Bowman is the worst. Still surprised he didn't choose DeBrincat over Matthews as an initial selection as well.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Am I crazy for thinking that it’s weird that Jason Robertson isn’t in much public discussion for a Beijing spot?

He’s damn near PPG over his entire career and him and Pavelski are 2/3rds of one of the best lines in hockey.

Give him and Pavelski a speedy American Hintz clone like Larkin or JT Miller and that could be a lethal line.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Been awhile since I updated my last projected roster, so here goes:

Forwards (x14):

Alex DeBrincat - Auston Matthews - Patrick Kane
Kyle Connor - Dylan Larkin - Jake Guentzel
Johnny Gaudreau - J.T. Miller - Max Pacioretty
Brady Tkachuk - Ryan Hartman - Matthew Tkachuk
Troy Terry
Extra: Jack Eichel

Defense (x8):

Jaccob Slavin - Adam Fox
Zach Werenski - Charlie McAvoy
Ryan McDonagh - John Carlson
Brett Pesce
Extra: Seth Jones

Goalies (x3):

Connor Hellebuyck
John Gibson
Jack Campbell​

Notes:
  • I imagine teams will be allowed more than 2 extras given COVID and games being in China but kept it minimal to make the decisions tougher.
  • Other players in my high consideration list as of now:
    • Forward: Chris Kreider, Joe Pavelski, Jason Robertson, Andrew Copp, Conor Garland, Vincent Trocheck, Brock Nelson, T.J. Oshie, Bryan Rust.
    • Defenseman: Quinn Hughes, Cam Fowler, Ryan Suter, Justin Faulk, Jaco Trouba, John Marino.
    • Goalies: Alex Nedeljkovic, Thatcher Demko, Jonathan Quick
  • While Hartman and Terry don't have the sustained pedigree to justify their selections per se, and I don't necessarily expect both even if they keep up their paces, a big part of being successful in short tournaments is capitalizing on players who are peaking with confidence.
  • That 4th line would be a ton of fun to watch, and a pain in the ass for the opposition, in a tournament not reffed by IIHF officials.
  • I'd be comfortable with any number of our goalies as the #1 guy. I imagine Gibson and Helle would each get games and whomever stood out first would be the guy, but don't count out Campbell.
  • Sad that one of our first 3 selections wouldn't even make my gameday lineup. Stan Bowman is the worst. Still surprised he didn't choose DeBrincat over Matthews as an initial selection as well.
Jack Hughes not even in consideration?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Jack Hughes not even in consideration?

He's 20 years old, still physically maturing, returning from injury, and finding his game at the professional level. He's extremely talented and I'm confident he'll be a star but he's not there yet. If he goes off over the next month plus he'll rightfully be in consideration but I don't see him as a legitimate contender at this point even with Eichel's situation.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A few notes:

* We are getting a tremendous amount of scoring from our likely defense. This bodes well for the transition game and PP

* I would be perfectly fine with Matthews, Miller, Larkin, and Pavelski at center. All are playing well. A guy like Zegras is also trending up so it's possible he could be in play

* Campbell might be our best option in goal this year which isn't a slight to Gibson or Hellebucyk

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
They will almost certainly use Gaudreau and Tkachuk together the way they are destroying the league so far. Honestly I can’t see how you don’t put them with either Matthews or Eichel if he’s healthy.

Also, y’all are sleeping on Hanifin. He’s got a chance to play, especially on the big ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad