Olympics: Team USA 2022

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Still odd that USAH hasn't named a GM yet. If there's still a concern about Guerin given the investigation, just move on and name a replacement. If not, promote him. Of course USAH is choosing the worst option, which is to do nothing as if there's endless time to prepare.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Still odd that USAH hasn't named a GM yet. If there's still a concern about Guerin given hthe investigation, just move on and name a replacement. If not, promote him. Of course USAH is choosing the worst option, which is to do nothing as if there’s endless time to prepare.

I was thinking this, as well. How can there not be a GM two months before the tournament when a GM is tasked with assessing players to make the team and then picking the team? Who will be selecting the players?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Zegras really pushing to be on this team. He's such a unique player - not just in the USAH player pool, either - that's it's hard not to want him there when he's performing likes this. Only Kane and Gaudreau bring similar elements.
They will have a big decision to make with that guy. I couldn't take my eyes off him in last world juniors and I've watched a couple of ducks games of late and he is really playing well, there is a lot of freedom in his game, highly skilled and so very clever with the puck. The question is will the U.S brass shy off of him because of the "inexperience" factor and lord knows hockey execs being the old warhorse guys that they tend to be they likely will. Still, with a guy like Eichel likely being a no go I would have to think they have to really give him some serious thought, talent is talent and my thinking is you don't leave a player like that off simply because he's a first year pro and especially now that there is an opening for him possibly, an opening that needs to be filled with that type of player.

I think they need to grade him on his game not his age.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zegras should be considered, but he goes into the winger pool. We can’t be getting 42% on face offs.

It’s a tough team to make. I think there are very few spots actually available. I’d like to see Robertson, but where’s the spot for him?

I can’t imagine Terry and Zegras both make it. Neither might be more likely. Which of the two Ducks would we rather have on the team?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Zegras should be considered, but he goes into the winger pool. We can’t be getting 42% on face offs.

It’s a tough team to make. I think there are very few spots actually available. I’d like to see Robertson, but where’s the spot for him?

I can’t imagine Terry and Zegras both make it. Neither might be more likely. Which of the two Ducks would we rather have on the team?

I'd rather have Zegras. He's more talented but he's also so confident that I wouldn't be surprised to see him excel even as a 20 year old. The moment rarely seems too big for him. Robertson is pushing hard, too. I just hope USAH is willing to embrace players who are excelling at a young age (Zegras, Robertson) or breaking out (Hartman, Terry) versus forcing someone undeserving (i.e. J Hughes) like they did with Jones.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Shayne Gostisbehere reignites his career with the Coyotes in all silence. Not enough to be in this team but nice to see. Seth Jones is getting a lot of stick here but in my opinion he clearly belongs to this team. McAvoy, Werenski, Jones, Carlson, Slavin and Fox are all locks. In addition, there are guys like McDonagh, Trouba, Hughes, Fowler etc. I still like to see Fowler in this team.

Forward group start to be pretty difficult to predict because there are quite many guys who really try to push veterans out of this team.

Last edited:

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I think Zegras is either going to make it as a C or not at all. I don't know that he's ever played on the right and it's hard to see him pushing out guys like Gaudreau, Guentzel, Kreider, Debrincat, Connor, Robertson, and Brady (or both) Tkachuks, depending on where Matthew plays.

If he's on the team I think you just have him in a bottom 6 role and deploy him fairly strategically.

Last edited:

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
How do we feel about Larkin on the PK for this team?

I feel like whether he does or doesn't will be a big part of how the C depth ends up. As of right now JT miller is really the only projected C on most projected rosters who plays on the PK regularly.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
What are the odds Zegras - or Terry for that matter - were even on the Long List? Seems like guys who will have their time to shine in 2026, unless the US brass were betting heavily on potential with their choices.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I think Zegras is either going to make it as a C or not at all. I don't know that he's ever played on the right and it's hard to see him pushing out guys like Gaudreau, Guentzel, Kreider, Debrincat, Connor, Robertson, and Brady (or both) Tkachuks, depending on where Matthew plays.

If he's on the team I think you just have him in a bottom 6 role and deploy him fairly strategically.

He played wing in his first stint in the NHL, also believe he was on wing for World Juniors. He definitely prefers Center though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zegras or Robertson?

I agree with those that think Zegras is probably the better option than Terry.

I think Zegras and Robertson could end up competing for a spot.

Reactions: mphmiles

Herb Brooksie

Nov 20, 2021
Our biggest weakness right now looks like a lack of pure right wingers? Who can also play that side? I wish that was where Zegras played…

Right now we have Kane, M. Tkachuk (playing RW), Terry, Pavelski, Boeser, Oshie, Hartman, Wheeler. Check out the below in some order…

Connor - Matthews - Kane
Gaudreau - Eichel - Matthew
Kreider - Larkin - Terry
Brady - JT Miller - Hartman

Patches - Zegras - Oshie
Cat - Norris - Pavelski
Robertson - Nelson - Wheeler
Hughes - Trochek - Boeser

Slavin - Fox
McD - McAvoy
Werenski - Pesce

Hughes - Jones
Hanifin - Carlson
Suter/Fowler - Trouba

HBuck
Gibson

Campbell
Demko

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Herb Brooksie

Nov 20, 2021
Zegras or Robertson?

I agree with those that think Zegras is probably the better option than Terry.

I think Zegras and Robertson could end up competing for a spot.

Robertson has been awesome and enjoying great chemistry with Pavelski on the other wing if that means anything to our GMTBD. On the bright side our coach has been meeting with players as he plays them on the road which is a good sign

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Herb Brooksie

Nov 20, 2021
Terry could get the bump because he is a natural right winger but I agree that Zegras is a much more explosive player

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Our biggest weakness right now looks like a lack of pure right wingers? Who can also play that side? I wish that was where Zegras played…

Right now we have Kane, M. Tkachuk (playing RW), Terry, Pavelski, Boeser, Oshie, Hartman, Wheeler. Check out the below in some order…

Connor - Matthews - Kane
Gaudreau - Eichel - Matthew
Kreider - Larkin - Terry
Brady - JT Miller - Hartman

Patches - Zegras - Oshie
Cat - Norris - Pavelski
Robertson - Nelson - Wheeler
Hughes - Trochek - Boeser

Slavin - Fox
McD - McAvoy
Werenski - Pesce

Hughes - Jones
Hanifin - Carlson
Suter/Fowler - Trouba

HBuck
Gibson

Campbell
Demko

I like this. A few things I disagree with. I think Carlson is going to be there in some capacity. Given Jones is already there, hopefully it’s as 3RHD, and Jones can be the 7D. That probably means Pesce is 8D, so either he completely misses out or we are allowed 8 and maybe Jones is 8D with Carlson 7. I think Carlson would at least be a great PP1QB.

I like Guentzel for the bottom six, and I’d have deBrincat there, as well. I don’t mind having one pure goal-scoring winger. That can always help the PP. I would also think Pacioretty makes it.

Gaudreau-Matthews-Matthew
Cat-Eichel-Kane
Connor-Larkin-Pacioretty
Guentzel-Pavelski-Brady
Norris

That’s probably where I’m at for the 13 forwards right now. Could easily switch the wingers for the first two lines, as you had them, but I thought Matthews would do a little better with the Calgary guys as he’s played extensively with Matthew at the NTDP.

We could also do without deBrincat. I may be unnecessarily shoehorning him in, but I think he could star at a tournament like this, and the familiarity with Kane doesn’t hurt. It’s tough playing for the Hawks right now. PP1 with Kane and Eichel/Matthews as linemates, and he’s the type of player I wouldn’t be shocked to see lead the tournament in goals.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
He played wing in his first stint in the NHL, also believe he was on wing for World Juniors. He definitely prefers Center though.
It's not that I don't think he can play wing, I just don't know how effectively he could play right wing.

Left wing is the most loaded position on the US roster. There's going to be some borderline or potentially straight up all-stars left off the roster on the left.

Reactions: Herb Brooksie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad