Olympics: Team USA 2022

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I like this. A few things I disagree with. I think Carlson is going to be there in some capacity. Given Jones is already there, hopefully it’s as 3RHD, and Jones can be the 7D. That probably means Pesce is 8D, so either he completely misses out or we are allowed 8 and maybe Jones is 8D with Carlson 7. I think Carlson would at least be a great PP1QB.

I like Guentzel for the bottom six, and I’d have deBrincat there, as well. I don’t mind having one pure goal-scoring winger. That can always help the PP. I would also think Pacioretty makes it.

Gaudreau-Matthews-Matthew
Cat-Eichel-Kane
Connor-Larkin-Pacioretty
Guentzel-Pavelski-Brady
Norris

That’s probably where I’m at for the 13 forwards right now. Could easily switch the wingers for the first two lines, as you had them, but I thought Matthews would do a little better with the Calgary guys as he’s played extensively with Matthew at the NTDP.

We could also do without deBrincat. I may be unnecessarily shoehorning him in, but I think he could star at a tournament like this, and the familiarity with Kane doesn’t hurt. It’s tough playing for the Hawks right now. PP1 with Kane and Eichel/Matthews as linemates, and he’s the type of player I wouldn’t be shocked to see lead the tournament in goals.
Who all PK's on this team at F?

I'm not opposed to the idea of "we'll figure that out later," but just wondering if that's where you're at with it as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I'm not opposed to the idea of "we'll figure that out later," but just wondering if that's where you're at with it as well.

Pavelski, Larkin, Guentzel, Norris. Need two more then. Can Brady Tkachuk and Eichel/Connor/Matthews/Pacioretty types not play third pair PK? That probably amounts to like one PK shift for 30 seconds per game deployed correctly for that pair. I don’t see the point bringing some big PK guy for the sake of it. I don’t even know who that player would be. I think a lot of teams will have this problem though. Assess Russia’s roster. They probably have 2-3 guys expected to make it that play regular PK time.

Herb Brooksie

Nov 20, 2021

Worked on that today LOL. JT Miller would be top PKer. Other than that the guys are all on the bubble that kill
He played wing in his first stint in the NHL, also believe he was on wing for World Juniors. He definitely prefers Center though.
kills penalties

Herb Brooksie

Nov 20, 2021
Pavelski, Larkin, Guentzel, Norris. Need two more then. Can Brady Tkachuk and Eichel/Connor/Matthews/Pacioretty types not play third pair PK? That probably amounts to like one PK shift for 30 seconds per game deployed correctly. I don’t see the point bringing some big PK guy for the sake of it. I don’t even know who that player would be. I think a lot of teams will have this problem though. Assess Russia’s roster. They probably have 2-3 guys expected to make it that play regular PK time.
I can’t believe I took poor Guentzel out and didn’t put him back in LOL that means he will bring us GOLD

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Herb Brooksie

Nov 20, 2021
Norris - Brady
Larkin - Cat

On Buch’s roster

I think they have same roster rules as WJC. 25 players - Dress 20 skaters + 2 goalies. So wonder if you put an extra D out on the PK if you run a diamond LOL

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Pavelski, Larkin, Guentzel, Norris. Need two more then. Can Brady Tkachuk and Eichel/Connor/Matthews/Pacioretty types not play third pair PK? That probably amounts to like one PK shift for 30 seconds per game deployed correctly for that pair. I don’t see the point bringing some big PK guy for the sake of it. I don’t even know who that player would be. I think a lot of teams will have this problem though. Assess Russia’s roster. They probably have 2-3 guys expected to make it that play regular PK time.
I think the same way, but I worry that USAH won't.

Herb Brooksie

Nov 20, 2021
I went and looked at player PK stats for the last three years LOL PK is pretty simple tho just gotta be fast and have an active stick and be willing to block shots. Brady would be a good PKer with his reach.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Zegras should be considered, but he goes into the winger pool. We can’t be getting 42% on face offs.

Why not? He can play center without being asked to take a ton of faceoffs. Put him on a line with Brady Tkachuk and let him take faceoffs (he's 61% on the year and 51.5% in the last 2 years). Miller is another option.

Connor - Matthews - Kane
Gaudreau - Zegras - B Tkachuk
Guentzel - Larkin - Garland
Kreider - Trochek - Hartman
Miller

Regardless, it's not like he'd have to take that many faceoffs, and it's only like 3 more faceoff losses every 40 faceoffs vs the average.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why not? He can play center without being asked to take a ton of faceoffs. Put him on a line with Brady Tkachuk and let him take faceoffs (he's 61% on the year and 51.5% in the last 2 years). Miller is another option.

Connor - Matthews - Kane
Gaudreau - Zegras - B Tkachuk
Guentzel - Larkin - Garland
Kreider - Trochek - Hartman
Miller

Regardless, it's not like he'd have to take that many faceoffs, and it's only like 3 more faceoff losses every 40 faceoffs vs the average.

Doesn’t matter if you are a lock for the team. On the margins, these little things matter. We are not going to out-talent Canada. Give me the guys that do all the little things. Those are the guys it’ll be harder to play against for better players in a short tournament.

That’s why I say he’s a wing option. If he’s a pure skill option as a winger, it matters less. You have to have a few guys like that on the team, but you cannot just pick your 13 most offensively skilled players, that we know will be less skilled than Canada’s best 13, and expect to win.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Doesn’t matter if you are a lock for the team. On the margins, these little things matter. We are not going to out-talent Canada. Give me the guys that do all the little things. Those are the guys it’ll be harder to play against. That’s why I say he’s a wing option. If he’s a pure skill option as a winger, it matters less. You have to have a few guys like that on the team, but you cannot just puck your 13 most offensively skilled players, that we know will be less skilled than Canada’s best 13, and expect to win.
Especially if we leave our most talented players at home.

In a winner take all game, give me the guy with the skill and history of clutch play. Dude is money in big games.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

In a winner takes all game, give me the guy with the skill and history of clutch play. Dude is money in big games.

I agree with this. It sounds like Team Canada maybe overthinking the selection process and bring guys like Hyman. Let's not make the same mistake.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That’s why I say he’s a wing option. If he’s a pure skill option as a winger, it matters less. You have to have a few guys like that on the team, but you cannot just pick your 13 most offensively skilled players, that we know will be less skilled than Canada’s best 13, and expect to win.

He's objectively our 2nd best center option. Give him a winger who can win faceoffs if it bothers you so much, but don't act like by putting him at center we are "taking the 13 most offensively skilled players".

danj7

Dec 17, 2017
Doesn’t matter if you are a lock for the team. On the margins, these little things matter. We are not going to out-talent Canada. Give me the guys that do all the little things. Those are the guys it’ll be harder to play against for better players in a short tournament.

Could not agree more. Our top 13 scorers < Canada's and Russia's. You def take the top 8 or 9 skilled players ... but then find the right balance, grit & role players - then add in our D and Goalies .... we can win gold. Plus you have to consider TOI. All star players are used to playing 18+ minutes a night, with 4 lines, thats not possible and I want the TOP players out there for 20+, the Matthews, Kane's, Gaudreau's and Tkachuk's. So you need that last line to be Skilled, but able to do the little things, accept their roles, skate, hit, play Defense, protect leads, kill penalties. The 2010 Olympic team was NOT the most talented by far, but they were skilled yet balanced, had roles and had the gold medal game in OT. Then in 2016 World Cup- we went WAY TOO FAR on grit, not enough skill.

.... and I think Zegras is one of those top 8 or 9 skilled players - he goes !

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

In a winner take all game, give me the guy with the skill and history of clutch play. Dude is money in big games.

There is no need for especially. Canada will be more talented.

If you want to go down that route, bring Spencer Knight. He had a shutout, after all. Obviously though, Knight doesn't deserve a spot on this team. Being clutch for one game at the Junior level doesn't matter with picking this team. Sorry, I want to win. I like to watch Zegras. Doesn't mean he's one of our 13 best players. He should be considered though.

He's objectively our 2nd best center option. Give him a winger who can win faceoffs if it bothers you so much, but don't act like by putting him at center we are "taking the 13 most offensively skilled players".

Zegras is objectively better than Eichel, Larkin, Pavelski, Trochek, Miller, Norris?

First of all, calling him better than Eichel is insane. I hope you were leaving him off due to injury.

Second of all, Larkin and Miller both have a higher PPG, so I'm not sure what grounds Zegras is objectively better. Wouldn't it seem like if more well-rounded players score better that they are objectively better?

This is not the top prospects team. We are not trying to field the most entertaining team. I want to win. Same reason why guys like Quinn Hughes and Robertson are also on the bubble. It might seem absurd to pick guys like Pesce and McDonagh over Quinn Hughes, but this is the best team to win, not the most entertaining. Jason Robertson was second for the Calder last year, and is now even better and over 1PPG. Probably won't make this team. No reason we need to feed into any type of award hype. We are trying to build a team. If you are a young player that isn't the most well rounded, you better be a lock. Otherwise, you are probably going to miss out. There aren't many spots available.

Your roster building philosophy is a sure way to lose. We will not be the most talented, no matter who you pick. We need guys that can do the little things. That leaves no room for a rookie center to play center that is our fourth highest scoring center this season (fifth if we are going to include the injured Eichel). If he makes it, it's as a third-line winger over the other bubble forwards like deBrincat, Pacioretty, Garland, Robertson types. I don't see any other way.

You don't give him a winger who can win faceoffs. Thats backwards philosophy. You build out the roster and if he makes it, it's probably in one of the last available spots. As I said, your roster building philosophy is exactly how we lose. You want to gift players spots based on how entertaining you find them, and not want to see the best team out on the ice to win us Gold. I don't care how entertaining these players are. We have to watch them for only two weeks.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
There is no need for especially. Canada will be more talented.

If you want to go down that route, bring Spencer Knight. He had a shutout, after all. Obviously though, Knight doesn't deserve a spot on this team. Being clutch for one game at the Junior level doesn't matter with picking this team. Sorry, I want to win. I like to watch Zegras. Doesn't mean he's one of our 13 best players. He should be considered though.

Zegras is objectively better than Eichel, Larkin, Pavelski, Trochek, Miller, Norris?

First of all, calling him better than Eichel is insane. I hope you were leaving him off due to injury.

Second of all, Larkin and Miller both have a higher PPG, so I'm not sure what grounds Zegras is objectively better. Wouldn't it seem like if more well-rounded players score better that they are objectively better?

This is not the top prospects team. We are not trying to field the most entertaining team. I want to win. Same reason why guys like Quinn Hughes and Robertson are also on the bubble. It might seem absurd to pick guys like Pesce and McDonagh over Quinn Hughes, but this is the best team to win, not the most entertaining. Jason Robertson was second for the Calder last year, and is now even better and over 1PPG. Probably won't make this team. No reason we need to feed into any type of award hype.

We are trying to build a team. If you are a young player that isn't the most well rounded, you better be a lock. Otherwise, you are probably going to miss out. There aren't many spots available.

Your roster building philosophy is a sure way to lose. We will not be the most talented, no matter who you pick. We need guys that can do the little things. That leaves no room for a rookie center to play center that is our fourth highest scoring center this season (fifth if we are going to include the injured Eichel). If he makes it, it's as a winger.

You don't give him a winger who can win faceoffs. Thats backwards philosophy. You build out the roster and if he makes it, it's probably in one of the last available spots. As I said, your roster building philosophy is exactly how we lose. You want to gift players spots based on how entertaining you find them, and not want to see the best team out on the ice to win us Gold. I don't care how entertaining these players are. We have to watch them for only two weeks.

What is my roster building philosophy?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What is my roster building philosophy?

The players you find most entertaining.

You have crusaded that Gaudreau must be on the team for months. You've told me that at least once, maybe a few times. Who doesn't love watching Johnny Hockey play? But its a team. I don't see how a small perimeter winger who has had a few weaker seasons recently was a lock coming into this year. He likely makes it, but I don't think he was ever the lock you suggested.

You also have Garland, another very fun type of player to watch. He has a chance to make it, but I think his stock is going down. I'm not sure why you'd include him now on our third line over better offensive players. Maybe as a grinding guy on the fourth line.

I didn't see your defense, but given what you've said before, I suspect Quinn Hughes will be there. If I'm wrong correct me, but thats another pick of a guy that is more entertaining, but probably not more effective than some others.

danj7

Dec 17, 2017
I think there could be some clear battles - after the locks:
Pacioretty or Robertson as the big scoring LW
Pavelski or Trocheck as 4th line veteran role playing C
Guentzel or Connor ... or do you take both smallish goal-scoring LW's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad