Olympics: Team USA 2022

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think there could be some clear battles - after the locks:
Pacioretty or Robertson as the big scoring LW
Pavelski or Trocheck as 4th line veteran role playing C
Guentzel or Connor ... or do you take both smallish goal-scoring LW's

I'm not the biggest Connor fan but he's a lock imo.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The players you find most entertaining.

Lol okay, is that why I have guys like B Tkachuk and Ryan Hartman instead of Jack Hughes or Alex Debrincat?

You have crusaded that Gaudreau must be on the team for months. You've told me that at least once, maybe a few times. Who doesn't love watching Johnny Hockey play? But its a team. I don't see how a small perimeter winger who has had a few weaker seasons recently was a lock coming into this year. He likely makes it, but I don't think he was ever the lock you suggested.

Was I wrong about that? He was a lock if you were paying attention. Gaudreau leads all Americans in scoring, and as I predicted, he broke out once being released from the boat anchor that is Sean Monahan. You think its about flash, but its about him just being an elite player.

You also have Garland, another very fun type of player to watch. He has a chance to make it, but I think his stock is going down. I'm not sure why you'd include him now on our third line over better offensive players. Maybe as a grinding guy on the fourth line.
I chose Garland because of his motor and speed, has nothing to do with how fancy he looks. He is a very good offensive player which helps as well.

I didn't see your defense, but given what you've said before, I suspect Quinn Hughes will be there. If I'm wrong correct me, but thats another pick of a guy that is more entertaining, but probably not more effective than some others.
I've never once advocated for Q Hughes to make this team lol. You literally are just making **** up.

Slavin - Fox
McDonagh - McAvoy
Werenski - Jones
Pesce

Would be my D group.

Reactions: Herb Brooksie

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol okay, is that why I have guys like B Tkachuk and Ryan Hartman instead of Jack Hughes or Alex Debrincat?

I'm not sure there are any grounds to include Hughes. He had to prove himself this season to make the team, and he's been injured. Maybe if he can go on a big run, but right now I wouldn't even think he's among the next five forwards left off, so there's really not much grounds to be including him.

deBrincat actually should probably be picked! I don't know why you aren't including him. I'd be interested to hear why. You may have a convincing reason why he shouldn't be picked, so lets hear it, if you don't mind sharing.

Was I wrong about that? He was a lock if you were paying attention. Gaudreau leads all Americans in scoring, and as I predicted, he broke out once being released from the boat anchor that is Sean Monahan. You think its about flash, but its about him just being an elite player.

You weren't wrong in that he'd eventually be on the team. I think its pretty likely he'll be there.

Was he a lock, like you suggested? I don't think so. I think it was a lot more up in the air, dependent on how he performed.

It's a moot point now though of it he'd be there anyway with another season like the last few. That exact situation hasn't materialized.

I chose Garland because of his motor and speed, has nothing to do with how fancy he looks. He is a very good offensive player which helps as well.

Fair enough, but I'm also not sure you are actually including the best offensive players. You are leaving out guys like Pacioretty, deBrincat, Tkachuk, proven big-time NHL scorers and including a bunch of young guys that've never really proven that for prolonged samples. Even if its not about being the most exciting, it seems quite risky to just go on a whim, without even a clear sample of these young guys producing demonstrably better currently, as opposed to some dedicated philosophy.

I've never once advocated for Q Hughes to make this team lol. You literally are just making **** up.

Slavin - Fox
McDonagh - McAvoy
Werenski - Jones
Pesce

Would be my D group.

My mistake then. My defense would be very similar.

danj7

Dec 17, 2017
Guentzel - Matthews - Kane
Gaudreau - Larkin - M.Tkachuk (Larkin is this line's Lindholm)
Pacioretty - Zegras - Eichel (move Eichel to wing, ease back in, can still take Faceoffs and allows Zegras to play C)
B.Tkachuk - Pavelski - Kreider
Miller (can play anywhere, in any role)
14th forward = Debrincat (can insert him in if Zegras struggles)

I agree with your D:
Slavin - Fox
McDonagh - McAvoy
Werenski - Jones
Pesce

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Campbell

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Team USA desperately needs some right-handed forwards. They have lefties for days.

Lefties:
Kane
Matthews
Guentzel
Connor
Larkin
B. Tkachuk
M. Tkachuk
Johnny Hockey
JT Miller
Pacioretty
Hughes
Zegras

Righties:
Eichel (injured)
DeBrincat
Troy Terry
Boeser (barely deserves a spot atm)
Pavelski (old)
Kessel (old, but best forward at Sochi)
Oshie (old, Olympic hero)

I’m likely missing some players, but the RH pool is pretty damn shallow.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm not sure there are any grounds to include Hughes. He had to prove himself this season to make the team, and he's been injured. Maybe if he can go on a big run, but right now I wouldn't even think he's among the next five forwards left off, so there's really not much grounds to be including him.

deBrincat actually should probably be picked! I don't know why you aren't including him. I'd be interested to hear why. You may have a convincing reason why he shouldn't be picked, so lets hear it, if you don't mind sharing.

I just feel like there are players that can provide what he can and then some.

Fair enough, but I'm also not sure you are actually including the best offensive players. You are leaving out guys like Pacioretty, deBrincat, Tkachuk, proven big-time NHL scorers and including a bunch of young guys that've never really proven that for prolonged samples. Even if its not about being the most exciting, it seems quite risky to just go on a whim, without even a clear sample of these young guys producing demonstrably better currently, as opposed to some dedicated philosophy.

It's not a whim though. Zegras has been an elite prospect for a long time and he's proving that he's entering the category of elite offensive player. We don't have the luxury of leaving off elite offensive centers on a team like this.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Not taking Zegras would be stupid if he keeps it up. He controls the entire tempo of a game when he gets the puck.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
In response to the idea of Kreider, which I've seen a few people mention, I don't want him on the team. I say that as a fan of the team he plays for.

I don't think he's a good fit for the construction of this team. If he's there, its in a bottom six role to begin with. What Kreider's best at is being a net front presence on the PP. He's probably the best at that in the game. But Pavelski isn't far behind at that, and he's pretty close to a lock for this team to begin with. Also, if Matt Tkachuk is on the team, he probably is in a top 9 role and on the PP. And if not, someone like Pacioretty is also another big forward that can play net front. We might not even have two traditional net-front guys for our PP set-up.

If Kreider isn't on the PP, what is he useful for? He's very fast. That'll be true for any situation he plays in, but he's not some ultra gritty forward. His defense is pretty lazy. He takes a lot of bad offensive zone penalties. He has barely played any PK in his career, only 3rd pair PK the last two years. He's driven hard with speed to the net a lot less after Markov tripped him, and he was accused of injuring Price. I think the reaction to that play, which wasn't even his fault, effected how he plays with hard drives with speed to the net. He's a very good forechecker, has great size and speed, and would be a great locker-room guy, but his actual usefulness to our bottom six doesn't seem clear to me.

The thing he's best at we already have covered, he's not a big PK'er, he's not a good defensive forward, and I'd be worried that playing 10 minutes per game on the fourth line he'd take a bad OZ penalty that loses us a game. He's also another left-shot LW that hasn't played much on the right side in his career.

Reactions: Herb Brooksie

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
As hard as it would be to leave off a guy who has scored as many goals as he has, I think I want Robertson on the team over Connor.

Robertson has been the straw that stirs the drink in Dallas this year and he’s part of an elite two-way line, while Connor, good as he is, has always given up almost as much as he produces.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
As hard as it would be to leave off a guy who has scored as many goals as he has, I think I want Robertson on the team over Connor.

Robertson has been the straw that stirs the drink in Dallas this year and he’s part of an elite two-way line, while Connor, good as he is, has always given up almost as much as he produces.

I agree with this sentiment. I've always found Connor (and Scheifele/Wheeler) a little overrated because they've put up such bad defensive metrics over multiple seasons. He'd be a bubble guy if I were making my optimal lineup. But I just don't see the decision makers leaving him at home when he's scored 15 more goals than any other American* over the past three seasons.

*Not including Matthews who has 26 more than Connor because he's a machine

danj7

Dec 17, 2017
I agree with this sentiment. I've always found Connor (and Scheifele/Wheeler) a little overrated because they've put up such bad defensive metrics over multiple seasons. He'd be a bubble guy if I were making my optimal lineup. But I just don't see the decision makers leaving him at home when he's scored 15 more goals than any other American* over the past three seasons.

*Not including Matthews who has 26 more than Connor because he's a machine

I still see Connor VS Guentzel, too similar, same role ... and personally I choose Guentzel all day every day. Connor is very talented ... just tough decisions needed - finally !!!!

danj7

Dec 17, 2017
How about Robertson VS Pacioretty - who you taking ? I know both could go but again kind of the same role.

Robertson - Eichel - Pavelski ... is very intriguing with Eichel (if healthy) perfectly filling the Hintz role on that electric line.

Herb Brooksie

Nov 20, 2021
These are the 45 guys my inside source has seen tested by the OC. I’m guessing there are a few more goalies to get to 50.

Gaudreau

Matthews

Matthew

Debrincat

Eichel

Kane

Guentzel

Larkin

Terry

Brady

JT Miller

Hartman

Kreider

Norris

Pavelski

Zegras

Trochek

Wheeler

Patches

Nelson

Boeser

Robertson

Hughes LW

Oshie
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Slavin

Fox

McD

McAvoy

Werenski

Pesce

Hughes

Jones

Hanifin

Carlson I

Suter/Fowler

Trouba
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

HBuck

Gibson

Campbell

Demko
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
These are the 45 guys my inside source has seen tested by the OC. I’m guessing there are a few more goalies to get to 50.

GaudreauMatthewsMatthew
DebrincatEichelKane
GuentzelLarkinTerry
BradyJT MillerHartman
KreiderNorrisPavelski
ZegrasTrochekWheeler
PatchesNelsonBoeser
RobertsonHughes LWOshie
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
SlavinFox
McDMcAvoy
WerenskiPesce
HughesJones
HanifinCarlson I
Suter/FowlerTrouba
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
HBuck
Gibson
Campbell
Demko
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

You have 41 names listed here. That leaves nine remaining. I would think a guy like Kyle Connor makes the list....

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
In response to the idea of Kreider, which I've seen a few people mention, I don't want him on the team. I say that as a fan of the team he plays for.

I don't think he's a good fit for the construction of this team. If he's there, its in a bottom six role to begin with. What Kreider's best at is being a net front presence on the PP. He's probably the best at that in the game. But Pavelski isn't far behind at that, and he's pretty close to a lock for this team to begin with. Also, if Matt Tkachuk is on the team, he probably is in a top 9 role and on the PP. And if not, someone like Pacioretty is also another big forward that can play net front. We might not even have two traditional net-front guys for our PP set-up.

If Kreider isn't on the PP, what is he useful for? He's very fast. That'll be true for any situation he plays in, but he's not some ultra gritty forward. His defense is pretty lazy. He takes a lot of bad offensive zone penalties. He has barely played any PK in his career, only 3rd pair PK the last two years. He's driven hard with speed to the net a lot less after Markov tripped him, and he was accused of injuring Price. I think the reaction to that play, which wasn't even his fault, effected how he plays with hard drives with speed to the net. He's a very good forechecker, has great size and speed, and would be a great locker-room guy, but his actual usefulness to our bottom six doesn't seem clear to me.

The thing he's best at we already have covered, he's not a big PK'er, he's not a good defensive forward, and I'd be worried that playing 10 minutes per game on the fourth line he'd take a bad OZ penalty that loses us a game. He's also another left-shot LW that hasn't played much on the right side in his career.

Good thing you aren't selecting the US Team.
Your Kreider hate knows no bounds.

Kreider is the only true fast top goal scoring PF the US has. He is exactly what you want facing Dought, AP,
Letang and Ekblad. He plays net front with Fox who guarantee is one of the 2 QB for the PP and Kreider
does PK, so that is absolutely in his favor. His speed
may make a point man a little more hesitant.
Also your OZ penalty stuff is over blown. Think Canada
will leave Marchand off because he will take a penalty?

I see you started your Max Pac campaign. He sucked in 2014 and he sucked in 2016.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
How about Robertson VS Pacioretty - who you taking ? I know both could go but again kind of the same role.

Robertson - Eichel - Pavelski ... is very intriguing with Eichel (if healthy) perfectly filling the Hintz role on that electric line.

Give me Robertson over Max Pac any day. Max sucked in 2014 and 2016.

Herb Brooksie

Nov 20, 2021
ConnorMatthewKane
GaudreauLarkinMatthew (Off)
KreiderJT MillerWheeler (C/RW)
GuentzelNorrisBrady (Off)
Trochek (C/RW)Hartman (C/RW)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
SlavinFox
McDMcAvoy
WerenskiPesce
HughesJones
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
HBuck
Gibson
Campbell
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This is just the kind of team build I would go with minus Eichel. Here is Team 2 with more than a handful of guys that will likely make it. There are over 50 guys total. The US will carry 25 players and dress 20 skaters and 2 goalies. Same as WJC.

Debrincat (LW/RW)Eichel *Inj*???Terry
PatchesNelsonRust
RobertsonHughes (C/LW)Pavelski (C/RW)
Zegras (C/LW)Coyle (C/RW)Oshie
Copp (C/LW)DvorakBoeser
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
HanifinCarlson
SuterTrouba
FowlerPetry
Krug/Martinez Pionk/Faulk
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Demko
Quick
Knight/Nedeljkovic
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I am excited so to see all of your thoughts! Sorry I have been doing this all on my phone so sorry for any typos LOL

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Zegras or Robertson?

I agree with those that think Zegras is probably the better option than Terry.

I think Zegras and Robertson could end up competing for a spot.
I'm gonna give Zegras a bit of an edge cause of his play on the big stage and he' s a playmaker.

This is a tough one. I like Robertson as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad