Olympics: Team USA 2022

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

My immediate gut response is, “NO!!” but it is morally the right thing to do. I feel like Canada would follow the States’ lead on this.

If this does occur, the IIHF and NHL should put together a replacement tournament (i.e. World Cup) for this summer.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
My immediate gut response is, “NO!!” but it is morally the right thing to do. I feel like Canada would follow the States’ lead on this.
Apparently it’s a diplomatic boycott, so athletes would still go, they just wouldn’t be accompanied by political figures

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I don't remember the Olympic hockey replacement player rules and if they'll be different this tournament due to Covid, but if you can replace an injured player up to a certain point, you name Eichel to the roster.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Unless the space jam aliens come and take all his talent, Slavin is pretty much guaranteed to be on the team.

Have to admit that Hurricanes is a team I follow the least and when you add that he has never cared about USA Hockey I guess my opinion about him was biased.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don't remember the Olympic hockey replacement player rules and if they'll be different this tournament due to Covid, but if you can replace an injured player up to a certain point, you name Eichel to the roster.

I'm reading things on this site that makes it questionable
he'll be ready. There is a poster on the Vegas page who
claims he got the same surgery as Eichel. If he is accurate I doubt Vegas clears him to play.

I would rather go with mid-season form
Matthews-Larkin-Miller-Nelson-Trocheck
than Eichel.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
claims he got the same surgery as Eichel. If he is accurate I doubt Vegas clears him to play.

than Eichel.

Eichel as an athlete and the surgery and recovery resources at his disposal don't even remotely compare to an HF poster. It has no relevance. Naming him to the team is a no brainer if they can replace Eichel if he ends up not being ready to participate.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Eichel as an athlete and the surgery and recovery resources at his disposal don't even remotely compare to an HF poster. It has no relevance. Naming him to the team is a no brainer if they can replace Eichel if he ends up not being ready to participate.

Lol, if this person is accurate I would take his opinion
over yours six days a week and twice on Sundays.
You have no idea what that person has for rehab.
Further I doubt Vegas will let him play.

There has been no indications from Eichel's camp
about China.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Lol, if this person is accurate I would take his opinion
over yours six days a week and twice on Sundays.
You have no idea what that person has for rehab.
Further I doubt Vegas will let him play.

There has been no indications from Eichel's camp
about China.

"if this person is accurate" lol

Impressive that you've missed the point two times in a row.

What we do know is Eichel is a world class athlete. Who had his surgery performed by a world class surgeon. Who will have access to unlimited, world class resources during his recovery. It is beyond unlikely that an HF poster was a world class athlete and had the same resource access. If true for them, great, but that's an unknown. But for Eichel, it's true. That doesn't mean Eichel will be ready by any means. But a random poster mentioning they've had the same surgery on its face doesn't mean anything. It's not how medical rehabilitation or basic statistics work.

Eichel has talked about China. He's said he'd love to be there but that he's keeping a short term mentality to surgery and recovery.

The point is if you can replace Eichel, there's no downside to naming him; if he's not healthy, he gets replaced. There is downside if you don't name him and he ends up ready to play.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

than Eichel.

I think Lebrun had said something like 4 months minimum, so unless something miraculous happens it will be difficult

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Eichel won’t have played hockey for a year, and you want to plug him in as your 2C? By all means…

No, but you'd want him to be one of the 5-6 centers you have at your disposal if he's able to play. It's very unlikely Eichel will be ready but we should leave the door open as long as possible just in case rather than removing the option before we even know his recovery progress or timeline to return.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Eichel won’t have played hockey for a year, and you want to plug him in as your 2C? By all means…

True. Same goes for Jack Hughes.

I would go with:

Connor - Matthews - Terry
DrBrincat - Guentzel - Kane
Johnny Hockey - Trochek - J.T Miller
Tkachuk - Larkin - Tkachuk
J.Robertson, Garland

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I would go with:

J.Robertson, Garland

What's the nickname for that second line-the Lollipop Guild?

Reactions: wej20

Herb Brooksie

Nov 20, 2021
Taking my stab at what our lineup would likely look like if the Olympics were to be played today. Please let me know what y'all think.

Connor - Matthews - Kane > Great blend of skill, speed, finesse and finishing ability
Kreider - Larkin - DCat > Tons of speed, snarl and skill. Will be very tough to play against
Gaudreau - JT Miller - Terry > Love this line if Terry stays hot otherwise Patches/Oshie slot in here
M. Tkachuk - Nelson - B. Tkachuk > Heavy line that would be a terror to play against
Extras: Trochek/Oshie > Both are extremely versatile
Bubble: Pavelski, Patches, Guentzel

Slavin - Fox > They will need them to be the best pairing in the tournament
McD - McAvoy > Big Mac line will be very hard to play against
Werenski - Jones > Familiarity is there - both are good skaters that can bring it offensively
Extras: Hughes/Pesce > Hughes brings offensive and Pesce can play with Slavin if needed
Bubble: Carlson/Petry

HBuck > Gotta give him the chance to star given his talents
Gibson > Tons of talent and can steal a tourney if needed
Campbell > Has been red hot to start the season
Bubble: Demko

Let me know what y'all think!

Go Team USA!

Cheers!

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

I would go with:

J.Robertson, Garland

Guentzel isn't a center so you're showing a significant lack of knowledge of the US Olympic caliber forwards.
I wouldn't have Guentzel, Robertson, Garland on the team.

Nelson and Kreider have played well and have inside tracks on positions. Guentzel's play w/o Crosby is a concern. If he makes the team it maybe as a RW.

W- DeBrincat, Kane, Gaudreau, M. Tkachuk, Kreider,
Connor, B. Tkachuk, Oshie, Guentzel

Reactions: HockeyWooot

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He doesn't play as one. He played a little at centre in his second season but only due to injury. I expect him to make the US team but it'll definitely be at LW.

He better pick it up. Team USA has several smaller high skill guys at W to pick from but you dont want 4 of them. Gaudreau, DeBrincat, Garland and Guentzel are small.
One of those guys IMO isn't making it and Garland has
the obvious thinnest resume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad