Olympics: Team USA 2022

danj7

Dec 17, 2017
In what world is Connor scratched while Zegras, Kreider, Garland, Colemen, and Trochek on the team? And you also don't even put Debrincat on the team?

I do not disagree ... and said Connor and Debrincat would be on any team ... but there is a part of me that feels this team needs SKILLED balance to win gold. That's just me. You can throw out the 12 best offensive scorers and be very good - but not sure they win gold. I am not saying to put the 2016 World Cup older, all physical team out there BUT they need skilled size, skilled PK'ers. At least that's my belief. I also keep seeing "load up and roll 4 lines" .... and the US has the talent to do that but again I personally do not think you will win gold doing that. If you "roll 4 loaded lines" - who kills penalties ? And rolling 4 lines means you are not able to play Matthews, Kane, Eichel, Larkin and Tkachuk out there for the 20+ minutes a night that I am surely playing them that and more. Matthhews, Eichel and Larkin (your top 3 Centers) ALL play 20+ a night .... so there is a part of me that thinks a 4th line, that hits, can accept their role, can change momentum, kill penalties and handle playing 8 minutes a night ... while still having SKILL - is not a terrible idea. Brady Tkachuk is a big timer power forward, Trocheck can skate, hit, win faceoffs, score and kill penalties ... and Coleman can skate, hit, scores clutch goals, has played a huge part (as a role player) in winning 2 recent Stanley Cups.

Again - to each to their own .... that's just how I would consider building my team. I think the 2010 team as as close as any to winning GOLD ... and they had that balance.

Add in a stable of solid 2 way defenseman and 2 or 3 goalies capable of stealing any game and I think that's my recipe.

... and I stated ZEGRAS was a long shot and that Connor would most likely get the 1st line LW spot, I just have a gut feel Zegras is special & was throwing it out there.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Happy to see Kreider is getting some recognition here as an option for this team. He's added in penalty killing to his game in the last few years, so he can play in a 3rd or 4th line role.

His biggest area of expertise would be that net front on the PP. Him and Fox already know where each other will be, so that is an added bonus. Fox would 100% be on PP1 as the QB. Matthews on one side, Kane on the other. Just would need a bumper on that unit. Oshie does fantastic in that role for the Washington PP, so if he is on the team, could fill that role. Someone like Kyle Connor or Matthew Tkachuk have good hands and shots to be there too.

Lines would be:

M Tkachuk-Matthews-Kane
Connor-Eichel-Oshie
Gaudreau-Larkin-Terry
Kreider-Miller-Garland

Batherson, Boeser, Trocheck, Geuntzel, Debrincat, Brock Nelson, Atkinson, B Tkachuk considered at this point. If Eichel is a no go, move everyone up a slot and Trocheck gets into the lineup. Terry has to be considered. It's too hard to ignore his start to the season.

Werenski-Fox
Hughes-McAvoy
Slavin-Jones
Carlson, Fowler, Suter, Pionk, Pesce are options to fill out the rest of the lineup.

Gibson, Hellebuyck, Demko. Those are my three goalies. I don't see anyone else challenging them either.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

danj7

Dec 17, 2017
As a Ducks fan, I don’t think Zegras is quite there yet. He will be on the 2026 team.

Troy Terry should be on this team though.

Plenty fair - I trust ya. Its just after his WJC performance last year and then those 2 goals plus that assist last night - leaves ya drooling at the thoughts !

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Plenty fair - I trust ya. Its just after his WJC performance last year and then those 2 goals plus that assist last night - leaves ya drooling at the thoughts !

He's in the position many younger players are in when the Olympics roll around: If he was breaking out so far this season, putting him on the roster for a tournament that lasts a few weeks is great, but since he's not there is no reason to have him on the roster. It's not like the NHL where you want to give the kids playing time to grow and learn, he's got to already be productive. He can play at the World Championships, he won't have plans in May.

Love the kid but I don't think he sees Beijing.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Happy to see Kreider is getting some recognition here as an option for this team. He's added in penalty killing to his game in the last few years, so he can play in a 3rd or 4th line role.

His biggest area of expertise would be that net front on the PP. Him and Fox already know where each other will be, so that is an added bonus. Fox would 100% be on PP1 as the QB. Matthews on one side, Kane on the other. Just would need a bumper on that unit. Oshie does fantastic in that role for the Washington PP, so if he is on the team, could fill that role. Someone like Kyle Connor or Matthew Tkachuk have good hands and shots to be there too.

M Tkachuk has a total muffin of a shot with a pretty slow release to boot. Connor would definitely be a better pick for that bumper role. I wouldn't put M Tkachuk on my team, but if I did he'd probably be a net front presence on one of the PP units and then limited at ES.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If it were up to me, I would try to overload PP1, with the goal to play PP1 for 75-80% of all PP time:

PP1
--------------------------Gaudreau--
------------- Matthews--------------
Debrincat ---------------------Kane
---------------------Fox---------------

- Fox / Kane QB the PP.
- Matthews is the trigger man - he slides from net front when the puck is high, to mid slot when its on the halfwall, to low slot when it drops to Gaudreau.
- Gaudreau is the garbage man - he swings to either side of the net looking for loose pucks / back door plays that he can either shoot from or one touch pass to Matthews/Debrincat.
- Debrincat is one time threat to create space for 34, and can also set up one timers for any of the 3 left hand shot forwards.

This unit would have the added benefit that all 5 of these guys can be used to in a zone entry strategy. It's essentially our 3 best offensive forwards + best right shot goal scorer + best offensive defenseman.

2nd unit would probably look something like:

PP2
------------B Tkachuk--------------
Garland ------ Larkin--------------
------------------------------Connor
------------------Jones--------------

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t want Kreider on the team. Zegras isn’t making it either. Terry could make it, but let’s see if he’s still one of the league’s leading scorers a month from now.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don’t want Kreider on the team. Zegras isn’t making it either. Terry could make it, but let’s see if he’s still one of the league’s leading scorers a month from now.

Well prepare to be disappointed regarding Kreider.
USA Hockey likes him a lot and he and Larkin had good chemistry together. They also beat Canada twice with McDavid playing and looked effective together doing it.

Kreider also was a teammate with JT Miller and works the current Ranger PP with Fox. Kreider has the ability
to impact a game 5 on 5 more than some of the guys who
you would be slotting in for the #7 or #8 wing slot.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Another Shutout for Campbell. Best Sv%, GAA and now tied for most shutouts in the league, mix that with how much people love him in the locker room and on the ice and I'm just not sure how people still have Demko over him.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Connor - Matthews - M Tkachuk
Pacioretty - Eichel - Kane
Gaudreau - Larkin - Miller
Kreider - Trochek - Oshie
Guentzel

Slavin - Fox
Werenski - McAvoy
McDonagh - Carlson
Jones

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Demko

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Zegras back to back 2 goal games. He’s heating up just in time. The dude’s attitude is infectious and there’s something really special about this kid. USA should take a close look at making a spot for him.

At this point it would be a snub too not bring Terry onto the team.

Fowler has also quietly been very very good this season and wouldn’t be surprised if they pick him for the team.

Gibby of course should be on the team.

Last edited:

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast

Lines would be:

M Tkachuk-Matthews-Kane
Connor-Eichel-Oshie
Gaudreau-Larkin-Terry
Kreider-Miller-Garland

Batherson, Boeser, Trocheck, Geuntzel, Debrincat, Brock Nelson, Atkinson, B Tkachuk considered at this point. If Eichel is a no go, move everyone up a slot and Trocheck gets into the lineup. Terry has to be considered. It's too hard to ignore his start to the season.

Werenski-Fox
Hughes-McAvoy
Slavin-Jones
Carlson, Fowler, Suter, Pionk, Pesce are options to fill out the rest of the lineup.

Gibson, Hellebuyck, Demko. Those are my three goalies. I don't see anyone else challenging them either.

what???

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Gibson
Campbell
Hellebyuck/Demko

Werenski-Fox
Fowler-McAvoy
Hughes-Jones
McDonagh-Carlson

Gaudreau-Matthews-M.Tkachuk
DeBrincat-Eichel*-Kane
Connor-Larkin-Terry
Kreider-Miller-Oshie

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Gibson
Campbell
Hellebyuck/Demko

Werenski-Fox
Fowler-McAvoy
Hughes-Jones
McDonagh-Carlson

Gaudreau-Matthews-M.Tkachuk
DeBrincat-Eichel*-Kane
Connor-Larkin-Terry
Kreider-Miller-Oshie

How is Slavin not on your D?

That F group is close to what I have and I would add Gaudreau as a W and Nelson for Eichel because I don't see him being anywhere in form.

If Zegras breaks out he will get considered with Terry
there.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
How is Slavin not on your D?

That F group is close to what I have and I would add Gaudreau as a W and Nelson for Eichel because I don't see him being anywhere in form.

If Zegras breaks out he will get considered with Terry
there.

Yeah, maybe Slavin over McDonagh. There is going to be some tough decisions with D group and some top guys are going to stay home.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Yeah, maybe Slavin over McDonagh. There is going to be some tough decisions with D group and some top guys are going to stay home.

Demko has absolutely played his way out of a top 3 slot and the top 4 are now Gibson, Helle, Campbell and Quick.

Anyone ignoring Quick is simply denying reality.
Absolutely one of the top 4 performing US goalies.
In fact he and Campbell are a significant cut
above any US goalies in play this year.

That being said, Gibson and Helle will get 2 slots
and Campbell and Quick will battle it out for #3.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Demko has absolutely played his way out of a top 3 slot and the top 4 are now Gibson, Helle, Campbell and Quick.

Anyone ignoring Quick is simply denying reality.
Absolutely one of the top 4 performing US goalies.
In fact he and Campbell are a significant cut
above any US goalies in play this year.

That being said, Gibson and Helle will get 2 slots
and Campbell and Quick will battle it out for #3.

Quick certainly has a shot but I think many people are pushing Campbell for #3 spot way too quickly. He has been amazing this year and when you think about his close history with USA Hockey there is a good chance he is going to be even a starter if he keeps his current form. We have all been frustrated at times that those NTDP ties are deciding some positions but I would not be that shocked if Hellebyuck is the one who is left home instead of Quick or Demko. That said, I think that Hellebyuck is going to be there with Gibson and Campbell because he has improved enough from his early season slump. Who plays, I do not know.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
At this point what are Eichel chances at making it back in time?

Last edited by a moderator:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Yeah its possible to see a few different corp of D.

I do think Fox, McAvoy, Jones and Carlson will be
on the RD and Slavin and Werenski on the LD.

Two of McDonagh, Fowler, Suter and Hughes
will round out the LD. I would go with
Fowler and McDonagh myself.

Any injuries on RD and Petry and Pesce come into play.
In my limited viewings of Petry and Carlson this year I
have liked Petry better than Carlson but I keep reading
Petry hasn't played well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad