Olympics: Team USA 2022

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
IMO DeBrincat is a lock due to his talent alone, never mind he plays on the same line with Kane.

Matt Tkachuk playing on the RW now with Gaudreau
makes him a lock.
Gaudreau can find chemistry with anyone, M Tkachuk really isn't that good.

Debrincat is talented but he's pretty inconsistent, and a lot of his production is due to playing with Kane.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
What are non Canuck fans thoughts on these individuals in making the team?

Miller
Hughes
Garland
Demko

Miller continues to be Jekyl and Hyde for Canucks. 1 minute he will have you pulling your hair out with some decisions he makes with the puck, then the next minute he changes the games and completely dominates on every aspect. Takes faceoffs, kills penalties, top pp, top line etc.
Leads the Canucks with 14 pts in 12 games.

132 pts in his last 134 games for Canucks

18 pts in 17 games in playoffs for Canucks

Q Hughes- MVP for the Canucks so far this season and it hasnt even been close. Just an absolute machine in possession and breakouts. Probably the most most talented Dman offensively in the NHL.
Hughes has improved as well on the defensive end despite being paired with Tucker Poolman.
10 pts in 11 games and rating of +6. Id imagine Team USA would want an elite skater like him on the team especially when it comes to the bigger Olympic size ice.

Garland- Probably a longshot to make team USA? but has been absolutely the best forward for the Canucks by a wide margin imo. Marchand lite as i mentioned before. He has done it all for the Canucks so far whether its game winning goals or game winning assists. Puck hound that oozes skill when he does have the puck on his stick. Undersized but makes up for it with his skating and elusiveness. 11pts in 12 games so far with Canucks despite having very little powerplay time.

He is 100% a playdriver, and carries his own line. He is with Dickenson and rookie Podkolzin.

Demko- Will be in the running for many Vezinas in his career. He is so ridiculous with how good and stable he has been. Has played for Team USA at every level. Can very much steal 2-3 games for Team USA when needed in the medal rounds. Bubble Demko is real.

Miller is a lock to make Team USA and I would say Hughes is better than 50/50.

Demko, Hellebuyck, Gibson were originally thought
to be a clear top 3 but Quick has played real well so far.
If Quick maintains his play one of the other 3 may end up in a game of musical chairs.

Garland is the longest shot, especially with Tkachuk
now playing RW with Gaudreau. Kane, Tkachuk
Oshie are slotted above him IMO.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Gaudreau can find chemistry with anyone, M Tkachuk really isn't that good.

Debrincat is talented but he's pretty inconsistent, and a lot of his production is due to playing with Kane.

You're making the same mistake NHL GM's made
when he fell to the second round. He's a product of McDavid, just like you said with Kane.

DeBrincat is a dynamic offensive player who is important
to Team USA because of the lack of high end center skill.

Kane/DeBrincat have the ability to make Brock Nelson
look high end.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You're making the same mistake NHL GM's made
when he fell to the second round. He's a product of McDavid, just like you said with Kane.

DeBrincat is a dynamic offensive player who is important
to Team USA because of the lack of high end center skill.

Kane/DeBrincat have the ability to make Brock Nelson
look high end.

Debrincat is a very good player.

I'm just not convinced that there aren't other players who could win a spot over him down the stretch. Garland is an example of a guy who I think who could jump over him.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Debrincat is a very good player.

I'm just not convinced that there aren't other players who could win a spot over him down the stretch. Garland is an example of a guy who I think who could jump over him.

Barring injury or illness, there is about a 5% chance
Garland is on the US Team and DeBrincat isn't.
Probably a 60% chance DeBrincat is and Garland isn't.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Easy to forget it'd be his second Olympic team, too, since PyeongChang was such a low quality tournament.
He was one of the better players for USA too…. If he continues to play good I think he’s got a pretty solid shot.

came up in usndt, played for USA on olympics, world juniors (18 and 20), and was generally one of the stars of the team in each of those tournaments.

All the wingers listed hes one of the better 2 way players

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'm always Team Quick (also a Kings fan) but he'd need more than a great 7 game start to be in contention after 3 seasons far below his standards.

I don't disagree but people are yammering about Campbell and he outplayed him significantly Monday night. Now Quick has to do this until pretty close to when the team is picked. If he does, I think his resume will
carry weight.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Outplaying a goalie in one regular season game has no bearing.

Campbell has a relatively sparse resume consisting of a few games last year and this year. So Quick's play Monday night looked like a message of don't forget about me. Like I said he keeps his play up and he'll more than likely move past Campbell.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Isn't there a better then average chance that Quick isn't even on the 5 goalie shortlist and how he performed on Monday meant absolutely nothing? You know that Gibson and Helly are on the list. After the last couple seasons would Quick have been on the list over a Demko,Knight or Campbell before the season started? I am not sure.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Isn't there a better then average chance that Quick isn't even on the 5 goalie shortlist and how he performed on Monday meant absolutely nothing? You know that Gibson and Helly are on the list. After the last couple seasons would Quick have been on the list over a Demko,Knight or Campbell before the season started? I am not sure.

I agree. Gibson, Hellebuyck and Demko were probably locks for the big list. Then two of Campbell, Knight, and Petersen. Knight has been weak to start this season. I don’t think he’s going to make it. Probably the first three, and an outside chance for Campbell if you want to be bold and don’t pick Hellebuyck. Campbell might’ve not even been on the big list. If not, I find it hard to believe the first three don’t make it.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
To be fair to him I’ve been a critic of his throughout last year as porous defensively but it seems as if the presence of Poolman has stabilized his play

I have read similar. Hasn’t looked bad from what I’ve seen this season. Half of one season isn’t enough though. We have plenty of very good two way 1D’s. I don’t want any offensive defensemen on this team that we’d have to cover for. The closest to that I wouldn’t mind is Carlson, who is a veteran and much more proven defensively, even though it’s not the best part of his game.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Absolutely over Knight and I rate him higher than
Campbell right now. By Xmas it will be sorted out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad