Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I know this is a shocking revelation to some, but there are a lot of Toronto fans who didn't want the Leafs to sign Stamkos.

Yes and they try to stay away, understandably so, but that just leaves the nutcases left to shine on these boards... no wonder an entire fan base gets thrown under the bus.

leafygoods

Defending Champs
Aug 12, 2009
Halifax
Red wings didn't even get a chance to meet with him. What a strange situation, sounds like he was always going to return to Tampa just tried to make Stevie sweat but the ice still runs through his veins.

As much as I would have loved him in TO its fine by me that he's not. Going to be a process the next few years getting to the top while Tampa has a window at the cup now. Can't blame him for staying, just an odd way to go about it.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Welp we all know Tampa made the most sense for several reasons so not surprised. Sucks for my Wings though thought they'd have a small chance to land him. Oh well I guess Nolan Patrick will have to do now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Red wings didn't even get a chance to meet with him. What a strange situation, sounds like he was always going to return to Tampa just tried to make Stevie sweat but the ice still runs through his veins.

As much as I would have loved him in TO its fine by me that he's not. Going to be a process the next few years getting to the top while Tampa has a window at the cup now. Can't blame him for staying, just an odd way to go about it.

Was reported Detroit had a very long conversation with him and his agent over the weekend. They made their pitch. Ultimately he decided to stay in Tampa, good for him.

He also did something that really helps Yzerman as their leader and captain. He took less, the guys in the room know he took less. Once you move out Bishop maybe all of them take a little less. Guess Hedman will be a big indicator if this statement by their Captain really made an impression in the room.

GollyG

Apr 4, 2015
In a Storm Cloud
the epidemic continues of hockey fans believing a guy is going to bolt his team to go home again in UFA and not realizing that a guy who just spent his entire adult life in a city probably thinks of that as much of a home as his childhood hometown....

I'm digging that pun. Intended or not. :handclap:

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Was reported Detroit had a very long conversation with him and his agent over the weekend. They made their pitch. Ultimately he decided to stay in Tampa, good for him.

He also did something that really helps Yzerman as their leader and captain. He took less, the guys in the room know he took less. Once you move out Bishop maybe all of them take a little less. Guess Hedman will be a big indicator if this statement by their Captain really made an impression in the room.
Hedman's currently making 4 million. So he could be going up to around 8M as well. He can get more on the market, obviously. Gut feeling says he takes 7M, which is still a 3M AAV increase to what he currently makes.

This is what the guys will buy in, especially if Stamkos is only making 1M more a year than on his old deal.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
So did he meet with any teams besides Toronto?

to be honest only one that said he meet with Leafs was Simmons who has 0 credibility...anyhow good for the Bolts, this is why franchise centers are only available if u draft them, they are never traded or they never make it to free agency...i would have hated the guy if we would have signed with sabres or ny or detroit instead of the leafs, but remaining in Tampa is a fair thing to do..

nostalrius

Le Hockey Armie
Nov 25, 2015
Berta's Couch
I'm shocked at this one. Why didn't he sign earlier in the year if this was the end result. A very respectable AAV at max term. Can anyone explain?

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Obviously disappointed as a Leafs fan. But Matthews was always the prize this off season, so we shall survive.

Reading some comments from other Leafs fans though... what's wrong with you guys? He didn't owe us anything. Sure, it would've been nice, but the Shannaplan will roll on.

For Non-Leafs fans, just try to remember the extremely salty fans aren't a representation of ALL Leafs fans.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Not all Leafs fans wanted him here, and to be fair, it wasn't an outlandish possibility by any means. There was a strong chance, so calling Leafs fans out for thinking there was a good shot of him coming to Toronto isn't really necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
As a Leaf Fan , Good for Stammer to sign with a team ready to win SC ,

Leafs need time to let young guns develop (I didnt want to hurry the re-build)

Great For Tampa , Great for their Fans , Stammer is a amazing player

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I wonder if it was a sign and trade where Yzerman just reneged on the trade part :laugh:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Damn that's a steal for Stamkos...they actually got him for 8.5

It's really not a steal. It's about what he's worth. If anything in his current form you could argue that's too much money.

Of course we all hope he returns to his old self and if he does then this will look like a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad