Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus74

Mar 5, 2006
Ontario
Congratz Bolts fans.. I thought he would be the Ontario boy who came home, but if he is happy in Tampa, good for him.

Just seemed odd that it went to the 11th hour. He could have signed that contract months ago...?

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
I don't get this. Wasn't 8.5 mil AAV the offer from Tampa that was leaked way earlier in the season, and everyone thought it was super low and was like "well Stamkos isn't staying in Tampa then."

Then he goes and takes the offer two days before free agency starts... It doesn't make much sense to me.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Congrats Tampa, for signing him to a deal equivalent to his value. Thankfully we don't have to read this craziness from fellow Leafs fans for a bit... though it is probable that many will now irrationally obsess about Tavares for the next two years.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
Isn't this the deal Yzerman started out with? Just stuck it out and got the player and the deal he expected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
No matter what people say, the Leafs didn't lose anything in this. They lost no assets. So anyone laughing at us is an idiot. Fans were excited at the chance, but most people we're okay with not getting him. We did just draft Matthews after all.

Now we don't need to worry about cap space at all. So there's also benefits.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Kinda makes you wonder how much yzerman must have been lowballing him for him to sign at this relatively low amount.

More likely the offers from other teams never got over the $10 million average. $8.5 seemed to be the offer always on the table.

Buttery

Feb 21, 2015
UK
Undecided on this. It's what I thought he'd do.
Head v heart but we would have had a bigger AAV to match, right? Not the end of the world.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I don't get this. Wasn't 8.5 mil AAV the offer from Tampa that was leaked way earlier in the season, and everyone thought it was super low and was like "well Stamkos isn't staying in Tampa then."

Then he goes and takes the offer two days before free agency starts... It doesn't make much sense to me.

The original offer was 5 years.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

He shopped around... couldn't find a deal that was worth leaving a team that was one game away from the SCF this year. Whatever the marginal increase in pay to leave... didn't make up for the devil he knew.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Wrong. Bishop is now trade bait. 5.9M as soon as he moves. Put Filppula (5M) in the deal to clear cap and get a few decent pieces back (Dallas I am looking at you once again). That's 10.9M saved. And then, obviously, buy out Carle. 5.5M saved.

So... we have potentially 16M that we can shed pretty easily. But, sure, we have no money.

I do agree with you still that NJ would have been better.

That's all "hopefully"
As it stands, you're tight on money.

Getting someone to take on Bishop and Filps is a lot of money.
And putting a lot of faith in Vasilevsky (I think he can, but I also think a tandem is safer)

Buyout deadline is pretty much over.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
13557875_10209385723624224_1513435040094370692_n.jpg

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
8.5 is great for Tampa. I'm sure he left some money on the table to stay there. Competitive team, great weather, not a lot of media.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Wrong. Bishop is now trade bait. 5.9M as soon as he moves. Put Filppula (5M) in the deal to clear cap and get a few decent pieces back (Dallas I am looking at you once again). That's 10.9M saved. And then, obviously, buy out Carle. 5.5M saved.

So... we have potentially 16M that we can shed pretty easily. But, sure, we have no money.

I do agree with you still that NJ would have been better.

There is no market for goalies right now...

If there was a market Corey Crawford would have been gone.

I'm sure a team would take a guy like Bishop or Crawford but they would send junk back that equals the cap hit so.....

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

It's like he valued contendership over the money,"coming home", and being the next messiah that they could build a statue for WHEN they win the championship...

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
That's all "hopefully"
As it stands, you're tight on money.

Getting someone to take on Bishop and Filps is a lot of money.
And putting a lot of faith in Vasilevsky (I think he can, but I also think a tandem is safer)

Buyout deadline is pretty much over.

"Take on Bishop".... He is a legit #1 goalie. Keep fear-mongering away. Typical.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Right choice for Stamkos

1. Good team
2. Good weather
3. Competitive salary (thx to no income tax)
4. No ******** media
5. Extra year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad