Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
No matter what people say, the Leafs didn't lose anything in this. They lost no assets. So anyone laughing at us is an idiot. Fans were excited at the chance, but most people we're okay with not getting him. We did just draft Matthews after all.

Now we don't need to worry about cap space at all. So there's also benefits.
Yeah, I'd be totally okay with this if I was a Toronto fan. I've watched Auston play - and he is legit. I honestly think he can be better than Stammer.

As for Stammer, if you're Tampa, you can't let that man go. You just have to hope he stays healthy. Good AAV.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Congrats Lightning, 8.5 mil is less than everyone would have expected. Excellent signing and I feel you're well poised to Win a Cup.

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Thought he was going to the Leafs? This forum lies.

That's a great term for a great player. As a Hawks fan I love what the Lightning are doing.

Now, trade us Hedman!!!

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Id say a solid 30% of Leaf fans on this site are happy with this development. I'm disappointed. especially because he just took the deal that was on the table for months. **** tease lol

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
What an awesome 30 minutes

Poor leafs fans :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I would've loved Stamkos for 8.5mill, but the rumoured 11mill+ that it would take to get him in FA was not worth it. I thought the Leafs were #2 in the Stamkos sweepstakes (behind TBL) and I'm happy for Stammer. He made a good choice to stay with a contending team and signed a "(current) hometown" discount.

Still would've been cool for him to play for the Leafs, but he made the right choice and I think he has a good shot at winning the cup sometime in those 8 years.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The deal was on the table since forever on Tampas side and he takes it until the second last day he could. **** Stamkos. I wouldn't have minded if he had signed a big deal with Tampa or another team but to take the deal that has been on the table for months is a joke. Can't wait to hear him in 15 years lamenting about how he should have signed with the home town team.

Good luck to Tampa to re signing Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Johnson, Palat and Drouin in the next 2 years.

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Didn't realize you'd have had to dump Mathews if you'd signed Stamkos. Sounds like some sour grapes.

Don't be ridiculous you must be smart enough to realize that isn't the point at all. There sure are plenty of idiotic posts regarding how salty Leafs fans are about this.

Anyway, happy for Stamkos, figured he would stay in TB. Would have been torn if he had signed for that in Toronto. Personally I'm glad he didn't sign for us.

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
Poor Leafs fans, they actually thought he was going to let his career die out up there.

Glad for the Bolts, gotta love Stammer as a person as well as a great hockey player.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
An amazing amount of sheeple from all fan bases bought into the wild media speculation that Stamkos was going to Toronto. They would get a good laugh if they visited this site and saw how gullible fans are. :laugh:

Great deal for Tampa, now go win the Stanley Cup. :nod:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He probably could have got more but I guess that extra year really helped out Tampa. In all honestly this was the number that was told to us a year ago did they really have to wait till now to sign it?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Poor Leafs fans, they actually thought he was going to let his career die out up there.

Glad for the Bolts, gotta love Stammer as a person as well as a great hockey player.

We didn't lose anything, we're fine lol.

But what does it say about Buffalo that Stamkos wouldn't even play there for 12 million? YEeeeeesh

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
"Take on Bishop".... He is a legit #1 goalie. Keep fear-mongering away.

But to force the team to take Filps too, that's a lot of money.
I'm being realistic. Not a lot of teams will just swallow near $11M for a #1.
In no way was I fear-mongering. I think Bishop is an excellent goalie, and a tandem with Vas would be better for Tampa (hell, I'd be comfortable saying Bishop would simply be better for Tampa then Vasilevskiy).

It's not fear mongering when $11M is $11M.
I honestly think people just don't care what we have to say if we have Toronto flair on. Just assume its ****-talking.
I have no reason to fear-monger, did not think Stamkos was realistic nor the best fit for either party in Toronto, I do think this is fantastic value for Tampa, and do want them to succeed.

I was simply stating, as it stands Tampa has little money to play with compared to their signing needs.
If they are able to shed some salary, good, but right now that's not the situation they are in.

Trading Bishop would clear 5.95 and would be easy enough, but you'd also be trading away one of the best goalies in the league.
The other guy then mentioned shedding another 10.5M. If it was that simple, tonnes of teams would have done that by now.

Keep projecting though.

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I doubt they will, kind of like the people that make avatar bets and don't follow up.

Even with the sheer size of Leafs nation, there were far more TB fans that hated Stamkos, cast him aside, made peace with him being 'gone' than Leaf fans acting like he was "coming home at all costs"

I penciled him into lineups for fun; why not. But got far more antsy for the draft than luxury items in free-agency. I wanted Stamkos, I'd be lying if I said I didn't - but was fine with the decision; and always proclaimed that Stamkos would need to WANT Toronto more than we wanted him. And IMO that is a huge thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad