Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Lol @ the amount of back tracking some Tampa fans are doing and even going so far as now trying to rub it in other fans faces. A month ago he wasn't needed in Tampa and wasn't even a top 5 player on their roster according to a large number of their fans. Either way glad for Stammer hope he scores 50+ this year and plays the entire season+playoffs.
The funny thing is, he isn't needed here as much as he was in the other teams that wanted his services.

The cap hit of his contract that just expired was $7.5M. So he only got an extra $1 million. For the type of player that he is, he is worth that, and then some. But I'm sure you realize that. A lot of people do, that's why you keep seeing people praise the deal for both sides.

Heaven forbid fans are happy they didn't lose their former face of the franchise for nothing.

Back to business, Yzerman. Time to buy out Carle and make some sacrifices.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
This is so true but some Leaf fans are doing it also.

I wanted him in Toronto but said a few times on here, I figured he would stay in Tampa.

Most fans be it Detroit, Buffalo or Toronto wanted him on their team. Had to be at the right price though. Tampa got a good price for him but that doesn't take away the trash talking Tamps fans were doing. Most of the Tampa Bay fans were glad he was leaving and thought he didn't fit with the team. I was one of the fans who were defending him and saying he was still a good player for quite a while still.

Quite the turn around today.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Absolute steal of a cap number. Good on Stammer for staying with his team.

But now what do they do with Palat, Johnson, Killorn and Drouin? If they all line up to take discounts, fantastic. But I cant see that happening

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I think the best part about this is he didn't go to Toronto and shut up the Leafs fans that were so sure he was coming there.

I don't think Tampa or their fans would ever turn down a guy that has hit 60 goals and can score 40-50 goals a year being on the team. They seemed to be more annoyed at the possibility of an over payment and had no issue with him walking away given how well the team performed without him.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
Keep in mind too, Florida has no income tax. This 8.5 is worth as much as larger contracts in New York, Michigan, or Canada would be.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Nice. Appropriate deal. Good value on both sides. This wednesday makes up for a boring draft day!

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Getting Matthews definitely made Stamkos a luxury instead of a need. It does suck but I'm not going to lose sleep over it

I said that to someone today. "luxury" perfect word for this player.
If we missed on Matthews, I think it would hurt significantly more. However, I think it's possible that we may have pushed harder; i.e guaranteeing 1st line C for ever, rather than stop-gap and passenger when AM is ready. We aren't ready for the luxury player; so it isn't much of a loss for Toronto ; had our team been a Stamkos away, I'd be all in - but we aren't and needed Stamkos to want Toronto, and the build....he clearly didn't see it.

Good for Tampa, the dollars are right, and the captain is locked down.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The nicest part about Stamkos re-signing is all of the Leafs fans who insisted he wasn't re-signing in Tampa and was going to Toronto now get to eat crow.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Absolute steal of a cap number. Good on Stammer for staying with his team.

But now what do they do with Palat, Johnson, Killorn and Drouin? If they all line up to take discounts, fantastic. But I cant see that happening
Kucherov and Hedman are the ones that are going to cost a lot. I can see Drouin signing a one year, 5M "show us last year wasn't a fluke" deal. Killorn might be a sacrificial lamb, sadly. Palat and Johnson will sign decent deals.

King King

Two Joes, No Cups
Aug 7, 2011
Seattle
8.5 is a good price, considering the speculation. Should be interesting to watch how this impacts signing everybody else this summer and next, but they're not in bad shape.

I had been hoping to see him hit July 1st just to have a more interesting free agency period, but I am happy for Tampa. Though, I suppose a trade is still possible. ;)

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
I assume he wanted to see what others offered, get a taste for it, I'm impressed he stayed given how close we are to july 1st

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Amazing that both Stamkos and Drouin will be on the team next year. If you told me that 5 months ago, I would have laughed in your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad