Tage Thompson is a future star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Ever since his emergence he has been better for us than eichel, that's not me taking a dig but he looks more consistent and dangerous

scoopscj

Feb 13, 2009
Central Joy-See
What a crap title. ( haha) Take out the word future right there and edit it. Damn kid is good. DAMN good. Nice job kid. Wish you were in NJ with us.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
This is the most improbable development for a player I've ever seen, I wasn't sure if Tage was an NHL player until last year. His shot was always deadly but he couldn't get it off until last year.

I would've been thrilled if he stayed at last year's level but he's seriously taken another huge leap. He is unbelievable.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
What a crap title. ( haha) Take out the word future right there and edit it. Damn kid is good. DAMN good. Nice job kid. Wish you were in NJ with us.
Yeah you guys are doing just fine... Either way NJ has been fun to watch this year

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
This is the most improbable development for a player I've ever seen
It reminds me a bit of Mason Marchment. If you watched him in the AHL, you would have thought he was ECHL bound. Wonky skating, liked to hit but had hands of stone. Seemed constantly lost.

Sometimes these big guys just figure it out a bit later.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Was at the Leafs/Sabres game on Saturday.
Mans got such dangles. So smooth out there.
Seemed like he was trying to do a bit too much at times, but he'll figure that out I'm sure.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I was wondering what makes you think this if you are indeed being serious.

You know hockey? He’s the best at it.

This is the most improbable development for a player I've ever seen, I wasn't sure if Tage was an NHL player until last year. His shot was always deadly but he couldn't get it off until last year.

I would've been thrilled if he stayed at last year's level but he's seriously taken another huge leap. He is unbelievable.

Seriously, it’s just bizarre seeing this transformation and I’m not sure our brains can keep up. I noticed a trend of improving play throughout last season, and that made me confident in that contract. Then he looked dangerous but pressing a bit through the first few games this year. And he still does that! Tries to do too much, does dumb shit- he wasted a scoring chance and took a bad penalty last night, then finished with 4 points that could have been 6. His down nights against the best teams are still 1 or 2 point nights. He’s looked like the best player in (I’d say) 75% of the games played- dudes don’t just become elite like that, but Tage toe-drag Thompson does, and I am here for it.

I’m just thrilled by his seeming motivation and hockey iq. He seemed gassed and a bit lacking in refinement at points last year. This year his passing is almost matching his shot, his motor is nonstop, he’s learned a whole bevy of moves outside the toe drag, he’s started using his body more- he’s not making the same mistake twice, just like Dahlin, and they both test exactly what they’re capable of and then utilize it in the right situations.

It sounded crazy to call him a ppg player to start the season, or a 50 goal guy. I’m saying he’s playing like a top 5-10 player, at least, and he’s not done developing his game.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
You really only have to go back to the expansion draft to understand how crazy this breakout is. There wasn’t just debate about the team protecting him…there wasn’t a ton of support for doing it. Local media talked about how he was only being protected because ownership was taking it on the chin so bad for the RoR trade already. His play at that point made him a favorite to let get taken…on one of the worst rosters in hockey. It’s crazy what’s happened.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You really only have to go back to the expansion draft to understand how crazy this breakout is. There wasn’t just debate about the team protecting him…there wasn’t a ton of support for doing it. Local media talked about how he was only being protected because ownership was taking it on the chin so bad for the RoR trade already. His play at that point made him a favorite to let get taken…on one of the worst rosters in hockey. It’s crazy what’s happened.
Yeah, but those same talking heads also thought we should expose Ristolainen (who netted us a 1st+) and protect Borgen (still a fringe NHLer with marginal value). So were people saying that? Yeah. Were those people smart? No.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This guy is reaching levels that no one expected. He broke out into a 35+ goal scorer last season but apparently he was not done and looks like a 100 pts player now

Edit title

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Yeah, but those same talking heads also thought we should expose Ristolainen (who netted us a 1st+) and protect Borgen (still a fringe NHLer with marginal value). So were people saying that? Yeah. Were those people smart? No.
The man looked like an incredible bust when those protections were submitted. He had shown less than Bjork. He looked like a guy who couldn’t play wing in the top 6 and wasn’t physical or defensive minded enough to play in the bottom 6. He wouldn’t have been a suprise pick to be left out.

Reactions: Zman5778

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Kind of reminds me of the Greek Freak in the NBA.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The man looked like an incredible bust when those protections were submitted. He had shown less than Bjork. He looked like a guy who couldn’t play wing in the top 6 and wasn’t physical or defensive minded enough to play in the bottom 6. He wouldn’t have been a suprise pick to be left out.
Granato deserves a lot of credit. Switching him to center seemed to push him into the right direction. Ever since then- he's been getting better and better. There have also been some nice quotes over the past year by Granato regarding talks he's had with Tage. Seems like they have a great relationship.

Thompson also seems to have a crazy work ethic and a good attitude. All the crap he went through being the premiere return in the ROR trade, terrible coaches/GMs, being sent down after playing a decent amount in the NHL, and going through a major injury early in his NHL career only to become a star in the league. Kudos to him!

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Well, he's a big reason the Sabres are at least competitive this seadon. Even during that 8 game losing streak, they showed signs of compete, Tage was a huge part of that, and that in and of itself is a step forward for the Sabres organization.
Good for Thompson for his progression, good for Sabres fans, God knows they need it, good for the NHL for a player that is show casing some entertainment and good for all of us hockey fans who just love to watch players blossom in to something special.

I'd say Tage is a win for hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad