Waived: [CGY] Devin Cooley, Jakob Pelletier, and Cole Schwindt waived by the Flames

Ledge And Dairy

For 5 years, he showed up looking like shit at training camp. It’s not his first time. Remember people whining when Sutter cut him and Phillips.

Also Pelletier is not even the only 1st rounder in his draft that got cut….sometime team made mistakes in scouting.
Of course he's not the only one who got cut from that draft. Ryan Suzuki was also waived today, the difference is Suzuki hasn't even succeeded at the AHL level. I think it highly unlikely Suzuki gets claimed, whereas I would say there is a very good chance Pelts does. Again, odds are Hanley doesn't play a single game this season, waive him instead.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hfboards always loves these little guys, right up to...and including the point at which they are absolutely SHOCKED that they're hitting waivers and can't believe they won't be claimed. :laugh:

Pelletier has had opportunities to stick, he just hasn't grabbed them by the horns. When a guy starts losing his game, confidence, and is also still a little 5'9" "tweener" at best...roster decisions get made. They're often on the losing end of that.

Doesn't mean he can't get some AHL time, come back hungrier in a year or two and log some games somewhere. But that path looks a lot more likely to me at this point, than suddenly getting a "change of scenery" to another team and "breaking out".

The reality is (same with tiny offensive D) there are extremely scarce teams that have the time of day for a "project" of this type on their roster. Not the type that "competitive" teams have the time to waste a roster spot on (better Top-9 options, not a 4th line fit). Young/rebuilding teams typically have their own guys they want to give those nice minutes to instead - guys who haven't already have multiple opportunities and failed to latch on.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
He's just smaller and needs to add strength. He hasn't been injured nearly enough for you to be saying he's made out of glass.

Yep. IIRC, wasn't the hit that hurt him last year basically a suicide pass? He's not made of glass, but he has been injured a bunch of times. I do worry that much in unrelated injuries has affected his development and mindset. The latter I think was on display this preseason. Once he gets his mojo back, there's a really good piece there.

What? The decision to waive Valimaki was in favor of keeping Connor Mackie as the 6th defenseman. Kylington wasn't at camp and Stone was still on a PTO.

Also I fully agree that Honzek won a spot over him but I don't agree on Coronato. Matt played well in the first couple games when other teams were also running weaker rosters but he became strictly less noticable as camp tightened up. Pelletier ultimately lost his spot to Klapka, not Coronato. Coronato will more than likely be sent down tomorrow morning unless we are moving someone to SOIR.

Yeah, but in the end, weren't both guys (Valimaki and Mackey) basically gone by the end of the season? The Yotes got some good games out of Valimaki, but IIRC Valimaki's injury unluckiness continued after he was claimed. That story of him almost dying in the emergency room was nuts.

what's up with Schwindt? I thought he'd make the team by now.

I have no clue. He was sorta starting to put it together, then plateaued. I think his decision making at the NHL level just didn't quite make it to the next level. Of all people, Kevin Rooney started looking like he developed/and improved to keep Schwindt in the AHL.

I think longer term, Schwindt could carve himself a nice bottom 6 career. I think a few of us Flames fans are also confused why he hasn't been able to take that next step by now. Unfortunately, I think he's going to be a tweener for us.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Hfboards always loves these little guys, right up to...and including the point at which they are absolutely SHOCKED that they're hitting waivers and can't believe they won't be claimed. :laugh:

Pelletier has had opportunities to stick, he just hasn't grabbed them by the horns. When a guy starts losing his game, confidence, and is also still a little 5'9" "tweener" at best...roster decisions get made. They're often on the losing end of that.

Doesn't mean he can't get some AHL time, come back hungrier in a year or two and log some games somewhere. But that path looks a lot more likely to me at this point, than suddenly getting a "change of scenery" to another team and "breaking out".

The reality is (same with tiny offensive D) there are extremely scarce teams that have the time of day for a "project" of this type on their roster. Not the type that "competitive" teams have the time to waste a roster spot on (better Top-9 options, not a 4th line fit). Young/rebuilding teams typically have their own guys they want to give those nice minutes to instead - guys who haven't already have multiple opportunities and failed to latch on.

I can see the logic for taking these 3 guys, but I personally wouldn't worry about it. Especially Pelts. He lost his mojo. Once he finds it again he'll be a good piece, but until then, I don't think any other teams will have any idea what to do with him. The mojo thing is a Pelts specific issue to resolve and I honestly do hope he does. I love his attitude and personality.

It's not like Solo where we knew many teams are always trying to figure out bottom pairings and a little more borderline (hence management strategically waiving him earlier).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad