Habs cut seven plays including Roy

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I think cutting Roy was the best call - even though I didn't think it would happen. He's a good kid with a bright future but seemed way too comfortable thinking his spot was guaranteed and now he has been served a stern message. He'll work his way back and finish the year with the Habs, I'm sure.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Roy had a bad pre-season, it happens, he'll be back up at some point this year but I think it's important to show him and set the tone that your spot isn't assured just because you had a good end of season on the big club
I think it's more than just this preseason.
Roy lived a charmed life last season.
His game didn't warrant a call up the second time around but we had no choice.

There were a number of players in different roles who had better camps and were cut.
A young Justin Barron suffered the exact same fate for the same reason.

The players notice these things. Multi-Million Dollar careers are on the line.
A very fair decision in my books.

Reactions: Andrei79 and ReHabs

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I hope the “let’s not acquire top6 help so it doesn’t get in the way of Roy’s development” camp enjoy their crow.

Depth is always good. Improving the roster is always good. Internal competition is always good.

It’s a contact sport, I’d rather have a 2nd line talent on the third line and ready to step up than have not enough or “just enough” top6ers and hope everything works out.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Roy had a bad pre-season, it happens, he'll be back up at some point this year but I think it's important to show him and set the tone that your spot isn't assured just because you had a good end of season on the big club
And he needs to star showing something this season -

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Too bad Habs brass are scared to lose Primeau on waivers, I think Dobes is already ahead of him .
I would have rathered Primeau play a lot in the AHL all those years we had him riding the pine in the NHL.

Similarly, I'd rather Dobes play a ton in Laval than be the backup in Montreal not playing much.

But, if Primeau falters and Dobes plays well this year, have to think Dobes will get a look.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Sigh....I was hopeful for both Roy and Mailloux, but you gotta earn it.

Having the depth we have is amazing. It pushes the guys to rise above each other.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I was surprised not to see more jam from Condotta when games got rough and nasty - isn't that his bread and butter?
He plays a physical game but never really struck me as a guy that was really nasty. He spent 4 years in the NCAA not fighting, and in Laval he's never had all that high PIMs. Same is probably going to be true for Tuch as well, he'll bring a physical game but not necessarily a nasty game.

Jul 6, 2016
Roy deserved to be sent down. What an awful Camp for a « rookie ». I jut hope he won’t sulk and will play his ass off to dominate in the AHL. He was really disappointing.

NOW, when I look at the four lines they had this morning, I can only say that they are as weak this year as they were last year at the same date. ABB on a 3rd line ??? And we all know how « good » are Anderson, Gally, Dvorak. The lost of Laine and the subpar effort by Roy will hurt.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
In a perfect world, Anderson should have been cut based on his camp. Not a Gallagher fan but he was passable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad