Waived: [CGY] Devin Cooley, Jakob Pelletier, and Cole Schwindt waived by the Flames

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Plus I doubt teams have been scouting him. Thats a bigger factor than most account for. It's a lot to put someone on your NHL roster based on nothing but reputation and stats
His size doesn’t help either. Not many teams are throwing 5’9” players in their bottom 6 these days. His size alone, almost says he won’t be claimed, but we’ll see.

Bond

May 10, 2012
For Pelletier's sake, I hope he's claimed. The Flames are just utterly hopeless when it comes to developing their own prospects or basic common sense asset management.

Also would be nice if Schwindt was claimed, mainly cause he sucks.
Pelletier is way more likely to go the way of Phillips. Worst case the Flames lost out on Byron. He’s a middle six guy at best.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
No chances he passes through right? This is Valimaki 2.0. Sure his camp wasn't the best but there's no world where this makes more sense than waiving Hanley
Valimaki is a 26 year old man and this is legitimately the first season he would enter as one of our 3 best LD. You can have prospects that turn out to be NHLers and still not have room for all of them.

Pelletier has been passed by 1st rounders 1, 2, and 4 years younger than him. That’s already half an NHL top 9 who all look like they’ll get varying amounts of games this year with more the season after. Not much space to give him the favorable minutes he’ll need to develop.

He also just looks like he needs AHL games to get back on track at this point which is the big reason I really hope he doesn’t get claimed. Another poster summed it up well, he just looks scared right now. That’s not gonna fly for a guy who projects to be a two way guy who makes a name for himself on his ability to create turnovers.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
He also just looks like he needs AHL games to get back on track at this point which is the big reason I really hope he doesn’t get claimed. Another poster summed it up well, he just looks scared right now. That’s not gonna fly for a guy who projects to be a two way guy who makes a name for himself on his ability to create turnovers.

I think this is the biggest part of it.

It's not like the prospect of getting a useful NHL player isn't there with Pelletier, but I'd agree he needs to gain confidence back and become a puck-hound once again and I'm not sure he's going to get that in the NHL no matter which team claims him. More likely a coach will have him struggle with <8 mins a night in and out of the roster while focused on more impactful players.

I think there's a better chance the Flames can get Pelletier back on track in the AHL.

Ledge And Dairy

Valimaki is a 26 year old man and this is legitimately the first season he would enter as one of our 3 best LD. You can have prospects that turn out to be NHLers and still not have room for all of them.

Pelletier has been passed by 1st rounders 1, 2, and 4 years younger than him. That’s already half an NHL top 9 who all look like they’ll get varying amounts of games this year with more the season after. Not much space to give him the favorable minutes he’ll need to develop.

I'm not going to argue Valimaki over any of Hanifin, Weegar, or Zadorov. But he is, and has been since he was waived, a full time NHLer.

I am also not going to argue that his camp was good, because it was average at best. The point is we are sending down one of our waiver exempt guys no matter what tomorrow (assuming Yegor is healthy). I'm fairly confident it will be Coronato. So if that is happening why did they waive Pelletier over 33 Joel Hanley when we just signed Barrie? What is the rational here? Odds are Honzek doesn't play more than 9 games so as soon as he's sent back down Pelletier slots in.

I really don't think Pelts needs more AHL time that much, his fundamentals were good at camp. It was his confidence that seemed to be hurting.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I'm not going to argue Valimaki over any of Hanifin, Weegar, or Zadorov. But he is, and has been since he was waived, a full time NHLer.

I am also not going to argue that his camp was good, because it was average at best. The point is we are sending down one of our waiver exempt guys no matter what tomorrow (assuming Yegor is healthy). I'm fairly confident it will be Coronato. So if that is happening why did they waive Pelletier over 33 Joel Hanley when we just signed Barrie? What is the rational here? Odds are Honzek doesn't play more than 9 games so as soon as he's sent back down Pelletier slots in.

I really don't think Pelts needs more AHL time that much, his fundamentals were good at camp. It was his confidence that seemed to be hurting.
Valimaki at the age of 26 just signed a 2 year deal with a 2M AAV. Are you suggesting we should’ve let him ride the pine as a 7-8D the previous two years just to keep that calibre of defenseman?

Our team and Huska like keeping 8D and 13F, I don’t think it was ever in the cards to completely change how we handle our roster just so that Pelletier could be the backup benchwarmer. Plus you say it’s a confidence issue, how is he fixing that confidence issue not even being the primary healthy scratch?

I still think Pelletier can turn it around (even if some AHL time is necessary which isn’t guaranteed currently), but sometimes you just don’t have the room. Having 2 better wing prospects who are both younger and currently better waiting for their shot doesn’t give our organization much space to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad