Suspended: Spezza 6 games (Reduced to 4 games) | Pionk 2 games

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
No surprise I didn't know it was the same incompetent ref, but losing control on the game and abruptly deciding to ignore physical infractions after calling weak hooks and holds in the first immediately reminded me of that game. Kind of OT but that's why I didn't have a major issue with what transpired in retaliation in that series.

The decision to ignore blatant cheapshots and then the hurry to prevent players handling it themselves is very curious.

This just leads to what we saw last night. Super aggressive play that increases risks to injuries because players start getting reckless.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No surprise I didn't know it was the same incompetent ref, but losing control on the game and abruptly deciding to ignore physical infractions after calling weak hooks and holds in the first immediately reminded me of that game. Kind of OT but that's why I didn't have a major issue with what transpired in retaliation in that series.

The decision to ignore blatant cheapshots and then the hurry to prevent players handling it themselves is very curious.

If we’re going to be perfectly blunt, I saw a bunch of refs who wanted to insert themselves into the fracas and took every opportunity to wrestle.

I also find it suspect that Dillon and Clifford were given the breathing room to “hash it out” in an NHL fight but they kept trying to subdue Wayne Simmonds from engaging with anyone like he was a mortal threat out there. Why is Wayne Simmonds not allowed to start a fight? Why is Simmonds treated like a menace when others are allowed to conduct NHL business?

Also find it strange they allowed Dubois to mug Matthews repeatedly behind the play but were so quick to separate Dubois from Ritchie when he asked PLD to dance.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If we’re going to be perfectly blunt, I saw a bunch of refs who wanted to insert themselves into the fracas and took every opportunity to wrestle.

I also find it suspect that Dillon and Clifford were given the breathing room to “hash it out” in an NHL fight but they kept trying to subdue Wayne Simmonds from engaging with anyone like he was a mortal threat out there. Why is Wayne Simmonds not allowed to start a fight? Why is Simmonds treated like a menace when others are allowed to conduct NHL business?

Also find it strange they allowed Dubois to mug Matthews repeatedly behind the play but were so quick to separate Dubois from Ritchie when he asked PLD to dance.

Especially when the ref stood there two feet away and watched them for 10-15 seconds before intervening

Mar 26, 2010
Pionk is getting a phone call and will probably get a game suspension.

Spezza is getting an in-person hearing, could be 5+, but likely less.
Brutal. PLD kneed Woll in the head as well. Your telling me he could not have avoided that. A lot of knees this game.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but these were the exact same officials from that abomination game 2 of the 2019 playoffs vs Boston, which literally was the worst officiated game I have ever seen. Fans of other fan bases were shocked at the calls/non-calls of that game and how much Boston was allowed to get away with, with no call. Then that led to the Kadri hit. This Jets game was very similar, same type of bullshit plays by Winnipeg that go uncalled, ultimately the players takeover and you see Spezza making that retaliatory hit on Pionk. Brad Meier should not have a job officiating at any level, the guy is a f***ing clown.

I couldn't believe wtf happened yesterday, but after seeing this I'm not even surprised. Brad Meier should be banned from officiating leaf games for life if they're not going to fire him, guy is a complete f***ing jackass. Bieksa even called him out on air after retiring for being the worst referee he had ever seen during his time as a player.

Bieksa comment starts at 0:47.

He makes multiple comments about him, and is spot on about robot refs vs. refs that have a pulse on the game. Worth a full listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 123offtheglass

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
Love the reaction from Spezza. Dirty play by Pionk and deserved a response. It’s going to cost him some games but definitely worth it. Worth it for the retribution and worth it for the message it sends in the dressing room and around the league. I just hope he doesn’t fall short of 1000 points by one or two because of the games missed

Reactions: NinjaKick

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Bieksa comment starts at 0:47.

Really interested to hear Bieksa's comments about this game. He has good insights on this sort of stuff IMO. Not that I always agree with what he says, but he seems to understand this side of the game and articulates it well.

Doublerum1975

Dec 15, 2019
Everyone ripping Ritchie for not grabbing someone and pounding them it doesn’t work that way he would get the suspension rats get away with everything in the new nhl

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Everyone ripping Ritchie for not grabbing someone and pounding them it doesn’t work that way he would get the suspension rats get away with everything in the new nhl
I doubt he'd get suspended but who cares if he does. Do your job.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Brutal. PLD kneed Woll in the head as well. Your telling me he could not have avoided that. A lot of knees this game.

He could have tried but didn't. He took the approach that he had the "right to the basepath" and if Woll got in his way it was his own fault.

Sneaky dirty play.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
38D807B0-9D2E-4E9F-B4E6-72B57BEE06A3.png

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
At least Ritchie got in Dubois's face a little. Someone needs to go after Dubois. I get why Matty going after Dubois makes very little sense, but every once in a while you have to stand up for yourself. Don't have to throw bombs. Just get in close, bear hug and throw him to the ice. The way the Jets celebrated at the end of the game was like watching a peewee team. Embarrassing.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I understand the situation but Spezza deserves a few games.
What showed these past two games are the fact that you can’t push the Leafs around as we got guys that will go after you. It is a message sent and can’t wait till the next game with Wilds and Jets, it is going to be blood.

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
The peg is the dirty team. Spezza retaliated with dirty hit in return. Great to see it

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
Parros and his team aren't there to fix the officiating from last night. Pionk not getting penalized and throwm out of the game for what he did was one of the worst pieces of officiating I've seen... and we've seen a lot of dumb crap. Not even a 2 minute tripping call? Jesus. Everything that happened after was their fault for not doing their job. It is really that simple and they deserve every bit of scrutiny.

Spezza fully deserves to get punished and suspended. That was predatory and dangerous. In person though? I've seen people almost decapitate other players with elbows and they only got fined.That seems like a petty decision from Parros based on emotion that his department has been heavily criticized and they don't give a shit. This, THIS, got a fine:

The Leafs are always on the wrong side of these, despite what people might think that the league favours them.

100% correct. If the officials had just done there job in the first place, none of that nonsense that transpired would have happened.
This is all on the officials.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
disagree completely, go watch the replay, spezza saw him down and pushed his knee out after, he had his eyes firmly on pionk when down. he was seeing red since the hit on sandin and decided to take it into his own hands since the refs didnt do anything about it.. love spezza and the dude isnt known for this so he gets a bit of the benefit of the doubt from me but that was 100% intentional in my eyes.

I would expect Spezza to go down in that situation...what did you expect Spezza to do? Try to jump over him and potentially cut Pionk's face with his skate or continue to skate standing up, trip and roll over Pionk? The safe play for Spezza with Pionk falling to the ice at that time was to drop down on his knees...I don't think Spezza purposely kneed Pionk on the head.

Last edited:

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Not surprised we're coming out with the shitty end of the stick.
I'll tell you what. Somebody better kick the snot out of Piunk , Stanley(what a big phony F that clown is) and Dubois next game.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Anyway I expect full on worst case scenario to come from last night.

Sandin out 6 months
Spezza suspended 8 games
Pionk suspended 2 games at most, more likely a fine
Meier and whoever that other ref was will continue to be gainfully employed

Gotta love the NHL.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
100% correct. If the officials had just done there job in the first place, none of that nonsense that transpired would have happened.
This is all on the officials.

Yep, last night's game reminded me of that playoff game where Kadri (got kneed by Debrusk) took matters into his own hands because the refs refused to call anything on the Bruins' dirty plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad