Suspended: Spezza 6 games (Reduced to 4 games) | Pionk 2 games

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oh, I thought phone hearing meant an automatic 5 games. My apologies.
In person I believe means they can go over 5 games not that they have to go over 5 games.
I may be wrong though. I'm sure it will be jumped all over if that's incorrect. :laugh:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but these were the exact same officials from that abomination game 2 of the 2019 playoffs vs Boston, which literally was the worst officiated game I have ever seen. Fans of other fan bases were shocked at the calls/non-calls of that game and how much Boston was allowed to get away with, with no call. Then that led to the Kadri hit. This Jets game was very similar, same type of bullshit plays by Winnipeg that go uncalled, ultimately the players takeover and you see Spezza making that retaliatory hit on Pionk. Brad Meier should not have a job officiating at any level, the guy is a f***ing clown.

I couldn't believe wtf happened yesterday, but after seeing this I'm not even surprised. Brad Meier should be banned from officiating leaf games for life if they're not going to fire him, guy is a complete f***ing jackass. Bieksa even called him out on air after retiring for being the worst referee he had ever seen during his time as a player.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Spezza should just leave them on read.

Don’t even show up. 20 years history and a joke of a league allows bush league reffing. Take your lumps and move on. Go on vacation for a week

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The resulting hearings, fines, and suspensions are about what is expected. This is a result, of poor officiating, and a poor DoPs. I'm not arguing that Simmonds shouldn't get fined, he should. I'm not arguing that Spezza shouldn't be suspended... he should... but when you lose control of a game, as a ref, this is what happens. It shouldn't happen, and our reaction shouldn't be part of the game... but our reaction was necessary, due to poor officiating. The league is terrible at refereeing, and post game punishment.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
If I'm Spezza, I wear whatever this suspension is like a badge of honour. Good for him. The league is obviously a joke, what Pionk did was an order of magnitude worse but whatever. Fully expecting 5 games for Spezza (or it wouldn't be in person) and 1 or 2 for Pionk. Game in March will hopefully be the real discipline since the NHL doesn't want to deal with it properly.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If I'm Spezza, I wear whatever this suspension is like a badge of honour. Good for him. The league is obviously a joke, what Pionk did was an order of magnitude worse but whatever. Fully expecting 5 games for Spezza (or it wouldn't be in person) and 1 or 2 for Pionk. Game in March will hopefully be the real discipline since the NHL doesn't want to deal with it properly.

:thumbu:

As far as the game in March being the real discipline, I wish I could say I'm confident that this will be the case. Unfortunately though ...

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This is literally game 2 2019 all over again. Leafs for defending themselves will face more punishment from that moustached f*** Parros than the Jets for actually being the dirty team.

This league is such a f***ing JOKE. They’ll go out of their way to protect and defend goons and let the actual star players to rot. Matthews hasn’t drawn a single penalty at 5 on 5 this year.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The resulting hearings, fines, and suspensions are about what is expected. This is a result, of poor officiating, and a poor DoPs. I'm not arguing that Simmonds shouldn't get fined, he should. I'm not arguing that Spezza shouldn't be suspended... he should... but when you lose control of a game, as a ref, this is what happens. It shouldn't happen, and our reaction shouldn't be part of the game... but our reaction was necessary, due to poor officiating. The league is terrible at refereeing, and post game punishment.

Well said.

Reactions: Azazel

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Hell, I would have just walked off the ice and called the forfeit. When the refs are clearly allowing the other team to take a run at my players, and my players are getting suspensions thrown at them left and right for defending themselves-and the game is out of hand-why even bother finishing the game? There were more runs at Leafs players during the last minutes, including at Matthews. It's so not worth sticking around for that.

Pionk had clearly stuck out the leg (...intent?). .

If you watched the video of Sandin's hit, you can clearly see Pionk has his eyes squarely on Sandin leading all the way to the hit. He had every intention of nailing Sandin as hard as he could.

Sadly, Spezza also clearly intended to do as much damage as possible, and while it was probably deserved, he doesn't have any more right to injure someone. His punishment is well deserved.

Last edited:

Alkalinesky

Feb 13, 2019
MLSE should come out with a statement refusing to ice the team if Brad Meier is scheduled. Make a statement that this kind of obvious dereliction of duty resulting in serious injuries to players will not be tolerated. Call their bluff. Something drastic has to happen, or it's going to be even worse next time.

Bellefour20

Jan 25, 2021
Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
Is it not 5 games min for in person meetings?

If the Leafs are always going to get the worst from the DoPS no matter the circumstances, then screw waiting for the right opportunity to get a dirty turtle back, just Domi him. Going to pay for it either way.
uDv04d.gif

Alkalinesky

Feb 13, 2019

If the Leafs are always going to get the worst from the DoPS no matter the circumstances, then screw waiting for the right opportunity to get a dirty turtle back, just Domi him. Going to pay for it either way.
uDv04d.gif

Didn't Lemieux get an in-person for the biting/eating incident and it was only 3 games? I think they can go over 5, but it's not required. I would expect 3-4 based on no history and the circumstances of the hit.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Do they ever send refs who don’t or can’t do their jobs down to the AHL? If so, I can name a couple of candidates.

Reactions: mix1home and Ciao

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

uDv04d.gif

No minimum for in-person, but allows them to do more than 5 games.

however, generally the league only offer in-person if they intend to do 5 or more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad