Suspended: Spezza 6 games (Reduced to 4 games) | Pionk 2 games

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I think I am OK with the in person hearing for Spezza play. It was clearly a predatory hit, and really just a dumb play by Spezz. That said, this play never happens if the f***ing refs get a handle on the game. It's f***ing complete garbage.

Same shit happened with the last Kadri suspension in 2019. Boston ran around doing whatever they wanted in that game 2. Debrusk then throws a dirty hit on Marleau into the dasher that doesn't get called, and Kadri reacts accordingly. Why does Debrusk throw that hit? because he knows it won't get called.

If you don't call the clear and obvious penalties, the players will begin to police the game themselves.

Spezza will miss time, Pionk will miss time, countless other players and coaches will be fined, yet the officiating crew who let this shit f***ing happen collect their paycheques and have zero consequences.

It's absolutely mind numbing to me.

Honestly, Good on Spezz. I'm not a fan of the hit Spezz made, but I love the intention behind it. Pionk needs to understand there is consequences for his bullshit. This isn't the first time that clown has taken a suspect run at our guys. He's going to have to keep his head up next game, because the benefit of the doubt is out the f***ing window.
same refs too

Reactions: Azazel

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
1. Foligno leaves bench to fight
2. Foligno runs over campbell in crease
3. Pionk brutally knees Sandin
4. Dubois knees Woll in the head
5. Stanley 3rd man in a fight

in 2 games.

in all of this, the only punishment might be a game or two for Pionk.

Meanwhile the Leafs will lose Sandin and Spezza longterm, got the extra penalties during the game, and Simmonds gets fined to boot.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Bullshit game, bullshit reffing, bullshit league.

Spezza getting a lengthy suspension is NOT bullshit, you can't make that hit. But honestly, I don't think anyone in the org is going to be too ruffled about what Spezza did. He stood up for his guy, even if he did go too far.

Whole situation is f***ed though, good job refs. The complete lack of accountability or transparency is so frustrating. Does the NHL think we're just not going to talk about it? Hockey fans are pretty dumb and mindless, but we do understand the game well enough to know when the officiating is f***ed.

Reactions: NinjaKick

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I have a big problem if Spezza gets any games and Foligno running the goalies head doesn't even get a penalty.
Even 2 minutes of 4 on 3 in OT would probably have given the Leafs the win.

BIG problem.

Reactions: NinjaKick and Kurtz

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
It pretty much goes without saying that Spezza will get more than Pionk, because that's the way the league rolls.

The person who should be having the disciplinary hearing from last night is the ref, of course, but that's not going to happen.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I support Spezza obviously, but he's going to get at least a few games, and rightfully so. The mitigating factor is that Spezza has no prior history.

We'll see if Pionk is disciplined accordingly for what also appeared to be a deliberate incident.

Mar 26, 2010
How is that POS Pionk getting away with attacking Sandin like that but Spezza gets a hearing! Absolute trash.

Reactions: supermann_98

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
upload_2021-12-6_12-43-55.gif

f*** Parros.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How is that POS Pionk getting away with attacking Sandin like that but Spezza gets a hearing! Absolute trash.

Pionk is getting a phone call and will probably get a game suspension.

Spezza is getting an in-person hearing, could be 5+, but likely less.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
No minimum for in-person, but allows them to do more than 5 games.

however, generally the league only offer in-person if they intend to do 5 or more
Honestly, if this is greater than 5 game suspension this league is a f***ing joke. If this even equals the 5 game suspension for Lemuix biting Tkcachuk 2 times, this league will go down as the most confusing f***ing league on the planet.

Not to mention the 5x that PK Subban has clearly slew footed guys this year and not missed 1 game, yet Marchand gets 3 games for the exact same infraction.

Can someone make any f***ing sense of this league?

Reactions: NinjaKick

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
i get the outrage, these refs should be just as culpable as the players on the ice for games like this, where its obvious they are negligent in handling player safety on the ice. players get hurt when these types of games happen, and the league needs to step in...maybe some sort of official(s) watching games via a monitor that can call down and assess penalties/majors etc. its been absolutely clear since i started watching hockey that when the on ice officials cant do their job things get out of hand quickly. its a bad look on the sport.

that being said, what spezza did, when "sticking up" for his teammate was worse than what pionk did in my opinion. its the kadri situation all over again, i understand why it happened but its still stupid and dangerous. if the shoe was on the other foot and sandin kneed pionk then a jet player proceeded to knee sandin in the head while on the ground people here would be even more livid, and rightfully so. to me, both deserve 5+ games with spezza getting more.

i will be happy with spezza at 5 and pionk at 3-4 at least ratio-wise, although both players should get more. this shit needs to be out of the game..along with incompetent reffing.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
As usual it’s open season on the Leafs, but they can’t dare defend themselves. The refs will make sure to get in the way of any retributive act quickly, and if they can’t the Department of “Player Safety” will be sure to teach us a lesson.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The refs are horrible and they are the cause of these suspensions. Why does Simmonds get a hearing, for what sticking up for his teammates and throwing punches. Bogus league, and it keeps getting worse and worse.

How come Stanley isnt getting a suspension for being 3rd player in. Simmonds was clearly going after Pionk why did Stanley not get a suspension. Wasnt even given a game misconduct.

Happy Spezza did what he did. My only regret is that he didnt hurt him like he hurt our player. Maurice was a scum bag when he started with the Leafs and still is one today. The fact that Keefe stood up to him and his tactics is awesome. Why should Keefe get a fine? Is there any proof that he put his guys up to responding as they did? Why isnt Maurice getting a fine or suspension? There's no proof that he didnt put his team up to their actions!!!

Total BS.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Pionk's missed elbow on Marner after scoring in the empty net last year deserved a beat down. I just can't recall if they played again after that last year?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
It’s so blatant that the leagues mandate is to push parity as much as possible and the easiest way to do that is to allow less skilled teams to mug their way through games.
It’s an absolute joke tho, look at how the nfl especially and to a lesser extent the nba and mlb change rules to improve the quality of the product by allowing the skilled players to shine. no wonder the nhl is being caught from behind by mls

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Pathetic DoPs run by a career goon who protects goon plays. Don't tell me about Princeton, OK? Pionk dove for the puck last second.

Reactions: Kurtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad