Suspended: Spezza 6 games (Reduced to 4 games) | Pionk 2 games

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Cross-checking
There was no play at all to it, he literally went around cross-checking a couple guys trying to get reaction, off the draw
That fine is fine by me, especially if they are serious about trying to crack down on ccing
Agreed. Do you happen to know the fine for third man in?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Honestly, there is no excuse for Spezza there.
He watched Tavares get carted off last season due to an unfortunate hit to the head, there's no good excuse for putting another player in the same position.

However, none of this ever even becomes possible if not for the inaction of the officials.
Time has come for this to be screamed at from up on high.....the refs have to start calling the games according to the rule book, not according to however many penalties have been called during the game already.

Tim Peel admitted to it.
It's the worst kept secret in the NHL, after Jim Benning's hair dye...the officials manage games instead of officiate.

It's pathetic.
Not much game management last night just a poorly called game they lost control of.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Definitely both were dirty plays that tried to injury other players intentionally. Both incidence’s deserve suspensions I believe but I don’t see one as dirtier then the other.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The main boards? You’re convinced it’s not intentional because the main boards don’t think so? :laugh:

Come on man….

He clearly twists his leg out last second, like clear as day. He changes trajectory and gets his knee between Sandins legs for no reason whatsoever.
If the main boards were all "ignore the facts and just hate on the leafs", then they wouldn't all acknowledge that the Debrusk knee on Kadri looked intentional. That same forum isn't convinced that the Pionk knee was intentional. Neither is non-leaf fan reddit. Non-leaf fan twitter. etc.

Come on... when ONLY leaf fans see something, it's clearly a bias issue.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

I was hoping that ref DUFUS was getting suspended for some games .. and then banned from reffing another Leaf game rest of his life .. I watched that DUFUS 10 rows up from behind net in Boston in that playoff game where Kadri was suspended .. I already knew it was fixed with Jacobs controlling league in every respect .. but that game was BRUTAL .. at least 10 plays much dirtier then anything last night - elbows to head, boards, spears, cross checks, punches to head and ZERO calls .. da Chara smash on JT should have been 5 and a game .. Debrusk on Kadri was another 5 and a game .. nothing nothing nothing .. well this clown is a representative of league and when this occurs then DA big dog has to WAG .. upset Ritchie did not put someone in hospital

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

You can see him turn his knee last second

Not to mention the puck was already off Sandin’s stick so even if unintentional, the hit was unnecessary.

I'm shocked, you can't really be so blind as to not see him literally put his knee out.... Maybe he didn't intend to injury, but he made a dirty play that can (and in this case) caused injury.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
upload_2021-12-6_15-25-53.png

I want to call up this guy….

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Love the response from the leafs. Spezza is a certified beauty. He crossed the line and will pay the price for it.

Pionk will also get suspended because that was clearly intention. Not to the same degree as spezza.

Refs were absolute dog shit in that game

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Love the response from the leafs. Spezza is a certified beauty. He crossed the line and will pay the price for it.

Pionk will also get suspended because that was clearly intention. Not to the same degree as spezza.

Refs were absolute dog shit in that game
Temper your expectations. I doubt Pionk gets any games.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but these were the exact same officials from that abomination game 2 of the 2019 playoffs vs Boston, which literally was the worst officiated game I have ever seen. Fans of other fan bases were shocked at the calls/non-calls of that game and how much Boston was allowed to get away with, with no call. Then that led to the Kadri hit. This Jets game was very similar, same type of bullshit plays by Winnipeg that go uncalled, ultimately the players takeover and you see Spezza making that retaliatory hit on Pionk. Brad Meier should not have a job officiating at any level, the guy is a f***ing clown.

I couldn't believe wtf happened yesterday, but after seeing this I'm not even surprised. Brad Meier should be banned from officiating leaf games for life if they're not going to fire him, guy is a complete f***ing jackass. Bieksa even called him out on air after retiring for being the worst referee he had ever seen during his time as a player.
Wasn't that the game where Kadri was slewfooted with no call, and then went on to get a highly questionable suspension which literally allowed the Bs to take full advantage of what seemed like a extreme bias in the way the rest of game 2, and games 3, 4, 5 and 6 were called.

NHL sucks so bad, never before as long as I've watched the game has the refereeing been so transparent in its intent

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Yes he will
You never know with the nhl. They're all over the place. But I think it will come down to the fact that it doesn't really look intentional. They can't prove it was intentional. And if it wasn't proven intentional, then it was just two players that crashed into each other and one got injured. But that would cause a media shitstorm in Toronto. I guess it's possible they'll give Pionk 1 game just to calm Toronto down a bit.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia

I used to sit right above where the officials room entrance was at the local JrA rink. I had a little book. It wasn't an actual rule book but that's what I wrote on it in big letters. I never actually said anything to them as they left the ice during the intermission but I would tap on the glass and offer it to them. Used to piss them off something fierce. Eventually they accepted it and even chuckled.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Wasn't that the game where Kadri was slewfooted with no call, and then went on to get a highly questionable suspension which literally allowed the Bs to take full advantage of what seemed like a extreme bias in the way the rest of game 2, and games 3, 4, 5 and 6 were called.

NHL sucks so bad, never before as long as I've watched the game has the refereeing been so transparent in its intent

It was the game where Debrusk ran over Andersen, went knee on knee with Kadri and then the hit on Marleau. There was countless other plays over the course of the entire game as well, but point was it was the same officials. They are completely incompetent. I'm not even upset we lost the game vs Winnipeg, it's just these clowns let the game get so out of control and now we have injured players because of it. Sandin is out for god knows how long and Spezza suspended, Pionk could be hurt/suspended as well because these idiots don't know how to referee a game. Simmonds got a cross check on one of their guys too, it was a shit show all around.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I still think it’s hilarious that people are arguing that pionk didn’t intend to turn his kneed to the side. In the exact same manner that has destroyed hundreds of knees in the NHL.

like who was controlling his leg? He wasn’t trying to hit sandin? His leg just happens to turn In the exact way it has for no reason?

Was kasperitis the friendly ghost turning his leg?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Ncaa basketball and NHL WORST officiating in all world sports .
NFL Refs quite often influence the outcome.
It's almost like fans of any sport find the officiating to be suspect.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Still doesn't exactly look intentional to me. The main boards (that 100% agreed the Debrusk knee on Kadri was intentional) seems unconvinced Pionk did that intentionally. When it's only leaf fans that believe something, it's time to start trying to reign in biases.

And yeah, maybe it was slightly late. But that, in itself, is like a 2 minute penalty.

That may be right...but it should also come with a beat down. When you can end a guys career by doing something stupid, you deserve what you get. A D can throw his knee out on almost every single play if he wants to. They don't because they know its dirty. There is zero doubt watching that replay that he throws his knee out to get a piece of Sandin. Not excusing Spezza either.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008

If I remember correctly, that was the last game they ref'd in the play-offs that year. League was pissed as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad