Suspended: Spezza 6 games (Reduced to 4 games) | Pionk 2 games

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

It must kill Bettman inside that today's game is cancelled. Now there's a possibility that he might have to give his decision (most likely saying I agree with the judgement of the colleague I hired) before the 6 games are up.

He basically made it useless for Spezza to go to an independent arbitrator. If today's game wasn't cancelled, he could have gave his decision on Sunday, after Spezza serves his 6th game. Now he would have to wait until Monday, might be tough for even Bettman.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

What a useless appeal process.

Has Bettman ever reduced and not affirmed the suspension either? Every appeal I remember he just re-affirmed it and the individual arbitrator reduced it. Why would he go against the judgement of the man he hired. It makes him look bad and doesn't show cohesion in the NHL.

The individual arbitrator is the real appeal, but with the useless process of having to go through Bettman, no one really gets a timely and consequently, fair trial.

Tom Wilson served 16 games of his 20 game suspension before the arbitrator reduced it to 14. Once again, had to go through Bettman who wasted time to get the full time served.

Dennis Wideman served 19 of the 20 game suspension before the neutral arbitrator reduced it to 10. Bettman being mainly responsible for the delay and re-affirming, which he was overruled on once again.

Obo

Nov 20, 2019
Dennis Wideman served 19 of the 20 game suspension before the neutral arbitrator reduced it to 10. Bettman being mainly responsible for the delay and re-affirming, which he was overruled on once again

So Wideman should have received a nine-game credit, to be applied to any future suspensions. Or maybe in lieu of the credit he could have been given a free shot at somebody.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Even though I think the suspension was too long considering the precedent that the league has set with other suspensions (Tom Wilson trying to smash Panarin's helmet-less head into the ice?), I don't think it would be unrealistic that they leave it at 6 games.

With that said, this process of delaying the decision until the suspension is served is minor league nonsense. Mind you, Gary tried to convince everyone that there isn't a Coyotes problem so I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: Lumberg and Pinto

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
As a 20yr union rep, we fixed a similar issue with a company that would waste time on grievances/ appeals.

Both sides, company and union now have time limits set to act on a grievance ( 24hrs or 48hrs depending) they are laid out very clearly in our collective bargaining agreement.

Whichever side misses a deadline, loses the grievance.

The NHLPA should negotiate that into their next agreement

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Leafs must have presented some pretty damning evidence of suspension inconsistencies for Bettman to actually contradict his own player safety dept.

Probably the Kucherov knee to the head that got 1 game was too similar to overlook. An independent arbitrator might have lowered it even more tbh.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
wwe-coffin.gif

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs must have presented some pretty damning evidence of suspension inconsistencies for Bettman to actually contradict his own player safety dept.

Probably the Kucherov knee to the head that got 1 game was too similar to overlook. An independent arbitrator might have lowered it even more tbh.

Yes, the only reason Bettman reduced this is because he didn't want it to go to an arbitrator.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kind of surprising outcome that the league Commissioner would overrule his own safety Dept.

Good for Leafs and Spezza, but surprising nonetheless. However the Reffing or lack there of in that game, obviously lead to that outcome of self policing and as a result it looks like they're going to split the blame on this one.

Had Pionk been given 5 and game this suspension wouldn't have been possible.

Last edited:

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
A Christmas miracle I tell ya.

Surprised they brought it back to 4 games but it's the right thing to do. Poink is a turd.

I hope come the next match Simmonds kicks his ass.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
As a 20yr union rep, we fixed a similar issue with a company that would waste time on grievances/ appeals.

Both sides, company and union now have time limits set to act on a grievance ( 24hrs or 48hrs depending) they are laid out very clearly in our collective bargaining agreement.

Whichever side misses a deadline, loses the grievance.

The NHLPA should negotiate that into their next agreement
The solution is to do what MLB does, which is the player doesn't serve the suspension right away, and continues to play until the appeal process is complete and a decision is made.

Reactions: Forgotusername

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
If the Calgary game doesn't get PPD I doubt it gets reduced. He left on the road trip expecting to play in Seattle. If the suspension held up he wouldn't be eligible to play until the return to Toronto.

They probably had some sympathy that he left his family for the a long road trip and wouldn't even get to play in it because of a covid PPD making his suspension in a way longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad