Suspended: Spezza 6 games (Reduced to 4 games) | Pionk 2 games

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I don’t think it should really matter, but I don’t think it’s a load of bullshit. It’s easy to get swept in emotion during a game, once your emotions cool off though he probably did feel bad. I don’t think most players actually want someone to get hurt.

I mean if it was someone else I might have agreed, but this guy has a history of taking dirty runs at players, specifically our players. It's not like it's the first time it happened and now he feels bad.

Took a random run to try and injure Marner here, he doesn't even have the puck. Last year he tried to head shot Marner again on an empty net goal. And then the obvious knee on knee hit on Sandin. He's a dirty piece of shit and I don't buy it for a second that he feels bad about it.

Game is all but over, empty net and this guy takes how many strides and tries to head shot him ? Clearly just trying to injure someone. f*** Pionk and the Jets, not only are they dirty but they whine and cry like little kids when someone gives them a taste of their own medicine. I'll be at the next Leafs/Jets game and hoping the boys take it to them. But yeah I don't buy Pionks bullshit statement at all. If it was a first time incident sure, but this guy repeatedly makes dirty plays in an attempt to injure.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Precisely! The post game celebrations by the entire team and then him smiling on the bench says otherwise.

Meanwhile this d-back is back from the so called "concussion" exactly as his suspension was done; it is wwe bs going on
You get paid in pro hockey when you are sick/ir .. da dirt bag went into concussion protocol so he could continue to get paid .. da suspension only covers Jets next 2 games .. meanwhile Spezz actually lost some real $$$ although he does not care about pay with Leafs as he has made his dough already

Reactions: PromisedLand

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
You get paid in pro hockey when you are sick/ir .. da dirt bag went into concussion protocol so he could continue to get paid .. da suspension only covers Jets next 2 games .. meanwhile Spezz actually lost some real $$$ although he does not care about pay with Leafs as he has made his dough already

Suspensions also mean that his salary continues to count against the cap while he's suspended. If he is in concussion protocol did the Jets get cap relief or is that just if he is on the IR?

I have no idea, the salary cap system and injuries is such a mystery to me, but I wonder if there is cap reasons they could say he was injured during his suspension period

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Suspensions also mean that his salary continues to count against the cap while he's suspended. If he is in concussion protocol did the Jets get cap relief or is that just if he is on the IR?

I have no idea, the salary cap system and injuries is such a mystery to me, but I wonder if there is cap reasons they could say he was injured during his suspension period
Da whole thing reaks badly .. Jets don't care about CAP .. *ss wipe says he was hurt so Jets keep paying him for 2 games he was suspended .. so he has now missed those 2 suspended games and bingo bango his concussion is 100% better now and he is ready to play again .. da dirt bag needs to get really hurt like break his jaw hurt

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Da whole thing reaks badly .. Jets don't care about CAP .. *ss wipe says he was hurt so Jets keep paying him for 2 games he was suspended .. so he has now missed those 2 suspended games and bingo bango his concussion is 100% better now and he is ready to play again .. da dirt bag needs to get really hurt like break his jaw hurt

Dude its just a game, breaking a jaw is pretty serious injury... I got no issue feeding him some knuckles..

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

I'm pretty sure being suspended trumps being injured. I don't think he got paid for suspended games just because he was injured.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

First of all, I don't think him being injured makes any difference. I think he still loses the pay for the suspended games. And the only time a team gets any Cap relief is if a player goes on LTIR which is only possible if the player is expected to miss 10 games and 24 days. That was not the case here. The only possible reason, in my mind, for Pionk to fake being injured would be in in some kind of vindictive attempt to get Spezza suspended for a few extra games. And honestly, I can't see him caring that much about Spezza's suspension to bother. And even if he absolutely hated the Toronto Maples Leafs, would he really think that losing Spezza for extra games would hurt the Leafs that much? Just seems silly to me. More delusions from the "everybody hates us" faction of Leaf fandom. :shakehead

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
First of all, I don't think him being injured makes any difference. I think he still loses the pay for the suspended games. And the only time a team gets any Cap relief is if a player goes on LTIR which is only possible if the player is expected to miss 10 games and 24 days. That was not the case here. The only possible reason, in my mind, for Pionk to fake being injured would be in in some kind of vindictive attempt to get Spezza suspended for a few extra games. And honestly, I can't see him caring that much about Spezza's suspension to bother. And even if he absolutely hated the Toronto Maples Leafs, would he really think that losing Spezza for extra games would hurt the Leafs that much? Just seems silly to me. More delusions from the "everybody hates us" faction of Leaf fandom. :shakehead

Thanks, I legitimately wasn't sure if there were cap implications or not. I just never put it past NHL teams using accounting tricks to find a competitive advantage, so the length of time of the concussion protocol was a little suspicious

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Because Pionk isn’t injured, I love this Spezza move.

He’s a great teammate.

Im 100% wanting him to be a part of the Leafs organization after he’s done with playing.

Reactions: Mad hatter

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
He served it while injured, so his suspension is done. He played yesterday

I don't disagree with you saying that's how it works... but what a bunch of f***ing bullshit.

f*** Pionk. What a dirtbag. His statement was probably written down for him too and he practiced it in the mirror a few hundred times. What a bullshit statement.

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
I'm not sure how bettman needs so much time. The appeal was yesterday, he basically had the case facts since last week. He should have his decision done in no time.

definedMF

Apr 19, 2013
Big Yellow Joint
Another example of the mickey mouse league that the NHL is...

MLB allows players to play until their suspension appeal hearing has concluded, otherwise they serve it immediately. At this point Spezza is serving the suspension before he even knows if its reduced, reducing chances of getting a proper reduction more its delayed.

The NHL is a f***ing joke and the players department is the jester of the kings court.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
For sh*ts and giggles I asked my kids agent who is a lawyer how this works and he told me as far as he knows there is nothing written in CBA to deal with both an injury and a suspension in same game .. although da commish has da final ruling in CBA on suspensions which can be appealed to an arbitrator .. he said a player can serve a suspension while injured .. but question of whether he can be paid while on IR and a suspension is not addressed .. who knows what Jets did .. likely a behind scenes call between Jets and Bettman

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Jason and Zeke are italians as am I... But what pleases me so much now is being able to love Spezza openly... I loved giggles, even when he was playing for Ottawa...

I love watching great talent and lets face it, spezza has great talent and always did...

Jason, knowing him is probably doing calisthenics and taping sticks but I hope he is preparing for a well deserved great xmas with his family...

I AM NOT, going to start yet another thread, but seriously...

What would Kase, Spetz and Simmonds and yeah Bunting get on the open market right now...

Dubas, Keefe and Shanahan woof, what a difference a Campbell, Rielly, Tavares, Willy, and Kase makes eh boys... And of course Auston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad