Suspended: Spezza 6 games (Reduced to 4 games) | Pionk 2 games

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
My guess is at this point Spezza doesn't need the money anyway. He stood up for his team (even though the play itself was a little iffy). So good for him even if he gets 5 games.

I really like Spezza, I feel sorry for him for having to play for the Sens for so many years.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Tit for tat 2 games and call it a day .. Leafs already lost Sandin for rest of month and Pionk is fine .. Jets won that deal with their dirty play

Reactions: Duffman955

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That knee to the head by Spezza looked deliberate and retaliatory, and I think he is getting 5 games or more for that attempt to injure for targeting the head.

Had it been any other Jet player in that position, he likely wouldn't have done that, but in this case it will be viewed by the league as payback. He will likely argue had the Refs done their part and tossed Pionk from the game for his dangerous hit earlier, that event wouldn't even have been possible. The fact that Pionk wasn't seriously injured on the play is likely going to help Spezza in this case.

Department of Player Safety FAQs - NHL.com

If the infraction might require a suspension of six games or more, the offending Player is offered the opportunity to an in-person hearing. In this case, the Player remains suspended until the hearing takes place. If the Player waives his right to an in-person hearing, the hearing will be conducted by phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarylO

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Meanwhile....

Marchand has been suspended six times for a total of 19 games, and he’s also been fined three times. His longest suspension came in the 2011-12 season, when he low-bridged Sami Salo in the first meeting between the Bruins and Canucks since their high-intensity (and Marchand-dominated) Stanley Cup Final.
Brad Marchand's suspension history

upload_2021-12-7_10-42-50.png

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Meanwhile....

Marchand has been suspended six times for a total of 19 games, and he’s also been fined three times. His longest suspension came in the 2011-12 season, when he low-bridged Sami Salo in the first meeting between the Bruins and Canucks since their high-intensity (and Marchand-dominated) Stanley Cup Final.
Brad Marchand's suspension history

View attachment 488394

Biggest rat in the game and has been for years.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
If I'm one of the guys making the big pay days....(Matthews, Tavares, Marner) I'm kicking in a third each to pay for Simmonds fine or any money Spezza loses during suspension as a "thank you for having our backs"

I can't see Spezza accepting that money, he's made $90M in his career.

Reactions: bax and Ciao

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
That was a dirty play by JS. I can't say I loved it, but I can't say I hated it either. The refs have to be better.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Watching the live video is how I got the screenshot.

Like I said, he followed through primarily in the direction of body/shoulder, the head may not have even been the principal point of contact, but there was contact, and that kind of play is EXTREMELY dangerous.

That's the key - when the NHL issues their judgements they use principal point of contact as one of the key determinants.

griffon1

Feb 14, 2018
Adrift at sea
Spezza tried to crouch down when he saw Pionk diving for the puck. The old joints just ain't what they used to be and he couldn't do it fast enough. Knee was purely accidental but reckless. Give him 3 and move on.
Certainly no more intentional than last year's Perry knee to the head of JT. Perry has just had more experience disguising his intent to injure.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Spezza is getting more than 2 games. 3-5. He made lots of contact with his head.

Love that guy.
1st offense and it was an immediate retaliatory action where a guy loses his mind for a brief moment .. Spezz was not even thinking of hitting his head .. it just happened that way .. likely NHL will say heh we gave Pionk 2 games and lets give Spezz 2 as well trying to practice game management for both teams like they do in games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad