Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Karlsson is 5 years younger so kind of. Also more dynamic in terms of skating and actual defensive play. Burns is lost in his own end too many times and doesn't think the game all that well.

I disagree. Burns would actually be more reliable than Karlsson...he just cheats on offense far too often. Karlsson being more dynamic than Burns was pre injuries. Not anymore. He looked terrible last season. He still scored some points but his skating and defensive game were far off.

Gilligans Island

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
What you're saying here doesn't make any sense. What you call "possession" has in fact little to do with it...we're just talking about shot +/-. His corsi stats may be regressing but that's purely because of usage. He used to be a part of the triplets...a line that got sheltered and lots of offensive zone starts. Johnson obviously also got elite linemates. They now developed Johnson into more of a defensive guy. He started to get more defensive zone starts against tougher competition. They also moved him from Center to Wing. He struggled in 16/17 but played really strong last season and also did a good job on Point's wing when he played there.
One bad season is nothing to worry about here. I'd still rather have Cirelli. Elite talent. May not quite have Point's potential but it's close.

How close is Cirelli? I don't know TB's prospect pools much - other than reading a bit about Foote since he was drafted.

Should we ask for Foote, Cirelli and Stralman? Doesn't give us a C now but sets us up. Or ask for Point since TB will have a tough time in 2019-20 signing Point and Kucherov if Karlsson's on the team

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
What you're saying here doesn't make any sense. What you call "possession" has in fact little to do with it...we're just talking about shot +/-. His corsi stats may be regressing but that's purely because of usage. He used to be a part of the triplets...a line that got sheltered and lots of offensive zone starts. Johnson obviously also got elite linemates. They now developed Johnson into more of a defensive guy. He started to get more defensive zone starts against tougher competition. They also moved him from Center to Wing. He struggled in 16/17 but played really strong last season and also did a good job on Point's wing when he played there.
One bad season is nothing to worry about here. I'd still rather have Cirelli. Elite talent. May not quite have Point's potential but it's close.
I am well aware what Corsi stats are and how they are computed. My point is his relative Corsi and Fenwick (comparing him directly to his linemates) shows that his team had less possession when he was on the ice as compared to when someone was in his place. I also don't have any desire to pay a severely undersized 2/3 center for 6 more years.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I disagree. Burns would actually be more reliable than Karlsson...he just cheats on offense far too often. Karlsson being more dynamic than Burns was pre injuries. Not anymore. He looked terrible last season. He still scored some points but his skating and defensive game were far off.
I imagine all the personal stuff going on as well as playing for a dumpster fire was as much a factor in that as the injury.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
How close is Cirelli? I don't know TB's prospect pools much - other than reading a bit about Foote since he was drafted.

Should we ask for Foote, Cirelli and Stralman? Doesn't give us a C now but sets us up. Or ask for Point since TB will have a tough time in 2019-20 signing Point and Kucherov if Karlsson's on the team

Close to what? He may have been incosistent during the playoffs but I'd still say that he's easily one of the best 3rd line Centers leaguewide. His potential is certainly higher. Nr.2 Center at least. In my view the Bolts should put Stamkos on his wing next season and use Cirelli as Nr.2 Center behind Point. Stamkos would benefit from getting more opportunities on the wing, too. He really struggled to create last season. He turned into more of a scorer than playmaker.

Last edited:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
And you think that Burns' contract in his age 41 season is going to look good? Would rather risk an 8 year deal on EK65 starting in his age 29 season as opposed to keeping Burns and starting his 8 year deal this year in his age 33 season if those were the two options.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
And you think that Burns' contract in his age 41 season is going to look good? Would rather risk an 8 year deal on EK65 starting in his age 29 season as opposed to keeping Burns and starting his 8 year deal this year in his age 33 season if those were the two options.

Both deals will probably be a problem at some point...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I am well aware what Corsi stats are and how they are computed. My point is his relative Corsi and Fenwick (comparing him directly to his linemates) shows that his team had less possession when he was on the ice as compared to when someone was in his place. I also don't have any desire to pay a severely undersized 2/3 center for 6 more years.

Not less possession...less shots. And again. It has a lot do with usage and zone starts. They asked him, an offensive Center, to turn into a shutdown winger. Not an easy thing to do. He was bad in 16/17 but very good last season.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Not less possession...less shots. And again. It has a lot do with usage and zone starts. They asked him, an offensive Center, to turn into a shutdown winger. Not an easy thing to do. He was bad in 16/17 but very good last season.
Shots = possession. If you can't understand that most common detail then this conversation is not worth having. Even without the possession numbers, I still don't want a 5'8 center through his age 34 season in the Pacific division. Especially when I can have Tierney without having to take on an albatross contract like Bobby Ryan and give up other assets.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Doug, give us EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65!

Meier, Braun, 2nds in 2019, 1st in 2020 -- make it happen!

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Doug, give us EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65 EK65!

Meier, Braun, 2nds in 2019, 1st in 2020 -- make it happen!
Or Tierney+Labanc+Braun+2020 1st+2 2nds for Karlsson+Ryan if we managed this I would cry.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Set your sights a bit lower guys. Melnyk isn't going to trade us Karlsson after the Hoffman deals. I'd be happy if DW got us Justin Faulk.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Set your sights a bit lower guys. Melnyk isn't going to trade us Karlsson after the Hoffman deals. I'd be happy if DW got us Justin Faulk.
Who knows? FLA wanted to offer futures and ott wanted a roster player. So, the Sharks just acted as a middle man/exchange to get all parties what they wanted.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Who knows? FLA wanted to offer futures and ott wanted a roster player. So, the Sharks just acted as a middle man/exchange to get all parties what they wanted.

Melnyk drove the bus on that trade to San Jose specifically to not have him within the division. We turned around and traded him within their division. Melnyk's not going to forget that and will probably respond by trading Karlsson to Vegas.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Melnyk drove the bus on that trade to San Jose specifically to not have him within the division. We turned around and traded him within their division. Melnyk's not going to forget that and will probably respond by trading Karlsson to Vegas.

Dorion said he was fielding offers from all teams during an interview. Price was just higher to FLA. it’s a business and I doubt they’ll hold a grudge. Doesn’t mean we’re a favorite to get EK65 but we’re not out because of the Hoffman deal

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
So, the Sens have given permission to talk to other teams for Karlsson regarding an extension. Would that even make sense to do before you know exactly what Melnyk wants in return for him?

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
That ship has sailed. We had our chance to giving him a Hertl like contract and buy some of his UFA years. But we decided to not even qualify him.
Idk, read a quote that DW is still in contact with Demelo's agent according to Pashelka. "Trust me, we really like Dylan and we've kept him appraised of everything going forward"

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I like Faulk a lot, not sure what it would cost and rumors are that DW isn't interested in Skinner so not sure what a deal would look like or if it would really be all that impactful.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'd love a Faulk+Skinner package

Skinner-Couture-Hertl
Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi
Meier-Thornton-Balcers/Labanc (assuming Labanc goes)

Vlasic-Faulk
Ryan-Burns
Dillon-Heed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad