Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Man. Point was drafted in the 3rd round. Maybe one day we will get lucky and one of our later round picks turns into a 1st round C.
We've never even drafted an NHL player outta the 3rd round haha. But damnit we need another Pavs to come through

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Point is a nr.1 Center already...he's their nr.1 Center, too. No, not Stamkos. Point took over last season playing bigger minutes and more important minutes in all situations. Stamkos may have scored more but that's only because of usage and it's gonna change...maybe next season already. Yzerman also mentioned several times that Point is untouchable. I'd happily be wrong but Point isn't gonna go anywhere.
I think ordinarily that would be the case, but not sure how they can afford to 1) trade for EK65 and not take on Ryan's contract without offloading someone like him and 2) How they can acquire EK65 and extend him on top of giving Point a $7.5 million raise next season from his ELC. Would mean they are adding at minimum $12.5 million to the cap before they even begin to think about a Kucherov extension. Seems next to impossible to pull all of those things off.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
We've never even drafted an NHL player outta the 3rd round haha. But damnit we need another Pavs to come through
Already have Labanc as a late round gem. We have had our steal of the draft for the next few years hah. Maybe one of the euros will take off.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't know how much 1 more year of Patches is going to cost but at this time he may be one of the 'cheaper' trade options. At this time though I am resigned to the fact that we are going to see Kane-Jumbo-Pavs as a line.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I'm expecting one of Soumela or Radil to make the club and be a solid player.

Also, if we miss out on a 1c and elite 1d this off-season, I will be pretty upset.

Ottawa only offered him 10 a year. Let's offer him 11-12 and bring him to the bay!

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
The more I think about it, the more clear it becomes. DW has operated with a vail of secrecy for such a long time. Now all of the sudden there’s statements and press releases commenting on the pursuit of Tavares and commending the effort and dedication of Hasso. Lots of “San Jose is a premiere destination for players”. Plain and clear pomp and circumstance. But why?

It’s been well documented that the reverse sweep to the Kings followed by the “refresh and reset” lost year, mixed with the emergence of the Warriors cost the Sharks lots of season ticket holders as well as casual fans. The Stanley Cup Finals appearance wasn’t enough to bring them back into the Bay Area spotlight. So now it’s clear that the main objective is to regain some star power before their biggest star fades away. And with that star power will come more local attention. Which will lead to more sales and bodies in seats. And it will ultimately lead to a new championship window.

It started with the Thornton trade. Things were buzzing. Then Boyle, Heatley, and Burns. The expectation was that the Sharks would get a new name player every couple of years. And now it’s been a while (no offense to Jones and Kane). So DW, with Hasso’s blessing, has gone out to go big name hunting. He wants a player that will resonate with casual fans, and excite current and former STHs to renew/keep the faith. Someone to help break through the Warriors noise and Jimmy G. hype.

I don’t believe that MaxPac would have any resonance with casual Bay Area hockey fans. Why should he, he’s not a star player. Neither is Jeff Skinner. Or ROR. JvR. Neal. Stasny. That’s not what DW wants or needs. He wanted Tavares. He needs a Tavares or a Karlsson. Someone to put butts in the seats, sell jerseys and create some buzz again. Hopefully he gets his big name.

Gilligans Island

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
As long as we can help EK not land in Vegas, I'm all for getting involved in a 3-way deal.

Since Point's probably untouchable, how about Tyler Johnson and a bluechip prospect like Cal Foote?

To OTT:
Tierney
M. Karlsson
TB 1st 2019
TB decent prospect
Norris or Gambrell

To TB:
Karlsson (extended

To SJ:
Foote,
Johnson
Ryan (0 to 15% retained)

Johnson slots in at 2C or 3C for us - depending on Jumbo's utilization. Not the bonafide 1C we're looking for but more of the Preds/Jets model of depth throughout the forward lineup.
Foote looks like a stud that can make Burns expendable in a couple seasons?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Man. Point was drafted in the 3rd round. Maybe one day we will get lucky and one of our later round picks turns into a 1st round C.

Tampa is pretty good at finding gems outside of the 1st round. They got Kucherov in the 2nd, Cirelli and Killorn in the 3rd and Palat in the 7th round.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm expecting one of Soumela or Radil to make the club and be a solid player.

Also, if we miss out on a 1c and elite 1d this off-season, I will be pretty upset.

Ottawa only offered him 10 a year. Let's offer him 11-12 and bring him to the bay!

I mean you are not asking for a lot or anything ... :)

Seriously, I am not expecting us to get either of those two but I do expect DW to get us a winger in the least. But even outside of that I would be perfectly fine if we can just get an upgrade on Braun.

Reactions: Gecklund

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
With how well both the Ch-twins played last year I am hoping one of them becomes a legit 1st line forward.
I think they can be 3rd options on a Top 6 line if they have a big time center, but Chekhovich's stats in the Q last year were pretty stagnant and not representative of what he did in his short stint with the Cuda. Chmelevski had good junior stats as well and could turn into something, but they seem more like solid 3rd liners than anything else (which at that point in the draft is a huge positive).

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Seriously, I am not expecting us to get either of those two but I do expect DW to get us a winger in the least. But even outside of that I would be perfectly fine if we can just get an upgrade on Braun.
I think Radil is all but a lock for the opening night roster. He is on a 1 year deal and is a UFA after the season per cap friendly. Basically is a use it or lose it thing for him at 27 years of age.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017

When there's 2 premiere players at their respective positions available, and we are in dire need of game breakers, it would be disappointing to not get anything. Any other off season, yea, not to be expected, but considering what's going on around the league and all the cap room we have, DW needs to take advantage of the opportunity.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think ordinarily that would be the case, but not sure how they can afford to 1) trade for EK65 and not take on Ryan's contract without offloading someone like him and 2) How they can acquire EK65 and extend him on top of giving Point a $7.5 million raise next season from his ELC. Would mean they are adding at minimum $12.5 million to the cap before they even begin to think about a Kucherov extension. Seems next to impossible to pull all of those things off.

If Karlsson wants to be a Bolt he's gonna have to take a discount...and they have lots of players they could trade or buy out if they really wanted Karlsson. I don't think they're prepared to give up on their 22 year old nr.1 Center to acquire a banged up Karlsson. That would be the most stupid move. Yzerman isn't gonna do anything like it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Gotta get some depth first. Going into the season with Heed and DeSimone as RD nr. 3/4 and nobody behind would be quite a risk.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
As long as we can help EK not land in Vegas, I'm all for getting involved in a 3-way deal.

Since Point's probably untouchable, how about Tyler Johnson and a bluechip prospect like Cal Foote?

To OTT:
Tierney
M. Karlsson
TB 1st 2019
TB decent prospect
Norris or Gambrell

To TB:
Karlsson (extended

To SJ:
Foote,
Johnson
Ryan (0 to 15% retained)

Johnson slots in at 2C or 3C for us - depending on Jumbo's utilization. Not the bonafide 1C we're looking for but more of the Preds/Jets model of depth throughout the forward lineup.
Foote looks like a stud that can make Burns expendable in a couple seasons?
I like the premise, but that Johnson contract is going to be so bad soon. 5'8 and signed through 2024 to go along with regressing possession stats already. No gracias. Rather just keep Tierney.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
When there's 2 premiere players at their respective positions available, and we are in dire need of game breakers, it would be disappointing to not get anything. Any other off season, yea, not to be expected, but considering what's going on around the league and all the cap room we have, DW needs to take advantage of the opportunity.

Sure. I will be disappointed if we don't get anyone either but when it comes down to trades we don't have quality prospects like a lot of other teams do. We need to get better without severely gutting our prospect pool unless we are getting a bonafide superstar back. Karlsson is one. Duchene is not. I expect DW to make us a better team by the start of the season but I am not realistically expecting us to land a Karlsson or Duchene.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Sure. I will be disappointed if we don't get anyone either but when it comes down to trades we don't have quality prospects like a lot of other teams do. We need to get better without severely gutting our prospect pool unless we are getting a bonafide superstar back. Karlsson is one. Duchene is not. I expect DW to make us a better team by the start of the season but I am not realistically expecting us to land a Karlsson or Duchene.
We all but have to land a big fish or we're SOL. Getting EK would also be worth whatever the cost to deny him going to Vegas. If he goes to Vegas, I fully expect us to either barely miss the playoffs, or make it and get trounced by Vegas every year until our long contracts get ugly and we have no prospects and are in purgatory like Vancouver.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Real question here. Is the difference between Burns and Karlsson 3M+ a year? I feel very uncomfortable giving EK65 that kind of money.
Karlsson is 5 years younger so kind of. Also more dynamic in terms of skating and actual defensive play. Burns is lost in his own end too many times and doesn't think the game all that well.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I wouldn't hate landing Pacioretty if the price is something like Tierney and a 2nd (he doesn't need to have an extension in place, I'm confident DW will be able to sign him at some point before he hits free agency).

Kane - Thornton - Pavs
MaxPac - Couture - Donskoi
Meier - Hertl - Labanc
Sorensen - Suomela - Karlsson

I think that lineup features an above-average player at every forward slot (i.e, Pacioretty is an above-average 2LW, Hertl an above-average 3C, etc.) except for at 1C where we really don't know what we're gonna get out of Jumbo. But that's still some solid depth with scoring ability spread across four lines.

Reactions: NiWa

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I like the premise, but that Johnson contract is going to be so bad soon. 5'8 and signed through 2024 to go along with regressing possession stats already. No gracias. Rather just keep Tierney.

What you're saying here doesn't make any sense. What you call "possession" has in fact little to do with it...we're just talking about shot +/-. His corsi stats may be regressing but that's purely because of usage. He used to be a part of the triplets...a line that got sheltered and lots of offensive zone starts. Johnson obviously also got elite linemates. They now developed Johnson into more of a defensive guy. He started to get more defensive zone starts against tougher competition. They also moved him from Center to Wing. He struggled in 16/17 but played really strong last season and also did a good job on Point's wing when he played there.
One bad season is nothing to worry about here. I'd still rather have Cirelli. Elite talent. May not quite have Point's potential but it's close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad