Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Like another poster said, I'm very curious and worried about where this team is headed. Long term we have Burns, Vlasic, Couture, Hertl, Kane, Jones as our core. Great players, but not exactly players that I would think would take us to a cup.

Gilligans Island

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
make another trade with the Florida Panthers.

They have 3 centers who all have high point totals, good to decent possession stats, and good faceoff numbers.

Alex Barkov
Vincent Trocheck
Nick Bjugstad

Barkov looks to be the true #1C, but the other two are also interesting. Looking at the advanced stats, it seems Trocheck was deployed in a somewhat high percentage of defensive zone starts while still compiling 75 points and having a good faceoff rate. Nick Bjugstad is 6'6'', had good possession stats, and put up 49 points while playing 15 minutes a game.

I'm interested to hear what it would cost to acquire either of those 3 players, as to me they seem like the best shot the Sharks currently have to potentially get that elusive #1C. DW has done it before, let's hope he can do it again.

Call me intrigued. We did Tallon a solid with Hoffman. I have no idea what the Panthers needs are.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Karlsson (luckily) isn't happening and the same goes for Duchene unless he actually hits Free Agency. Wilson and Tallon trolled Dorion badly...I don't think he's keen on dealing with Wilson again anytime soon. I wouldn't if I were him.
Dorion has no say on who EK talks to if he wants to trade him

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Feels like the only way we could get Karlsson is if A. He forces Ottawa’s hand by only agreeing to a deal with the Sharks (why? Doubtful.) B. Ryan is a required addon to the deal and HE with his NTC, wants to play in Cali and picks the Sharks, forcing them both over.

Though, seems to me like Vegas has as good/better chance than us. Not to mention the whole Hoffman trade and Dorion’s currently relationship with DW (though I’m sure Doug the Smooth Talker smoothly talked him over it).

It’s hard to imagine us getting him but who knows.

We’re going to end up getting someone out of the blue, Doug-style, who we never thought we’d get. And it’s either going to be someone awesome or a slow, 4th liner.

Weeee, off season!

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Posted above you.

You mean John Shannon? Where does he claim that Dorion has nothing to say? :D
Karlsson can submit a 10 teams no trade list...but apart from that Dorion is still the man deciding on where Karlsson plays for one more year. Some say that it's in fact Melnyk calling the shots but that's pure speculation.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
You mean John Shannon? Where does he claim that Dorion has nothing to say? :D
Karlsson can submit a 10 teams no trade list...but apart from that Dorion is still the man deciding on where Karlsson plays for one more year. Some say that it's in fact Melnyk calling the shots but that's pure speculation.

Nothing about a 10 team list.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Nothing about a 10 team list.

Lol. Permission to talk with Karlsson doesn't mean that Dorion is automatically gonna agree to deal Karlsson to every team in the league. You can't be that naive:laugh:
There's gonna be enough interest so Dorion can pick Karlsson's spot...at least until July. The only thing Karlsson can do about it is to submit his 10 teams no trade list.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Lol. Permission to talk with Karlsson doesn't mean that Dorion is automatically gonna agree to deal Karlsson to every team in the league. You can't be that naive:laugh:
There's gonna be enough interest so Dorion can pick Karlsson's spot...at least until July. The only thing Karlsson can do about it is to submit his 10 teams no trade list.

You clearly don't understand how this works... Whoever EK agrees to terms with is getting him. He might as well be a UFA at this point. This going to be a bidding war just like Tavares but EK won't have loyalty to any of the north american cities. No one is trading for him unless they can work out an extension and EK controls who he wants to extend with. Ottawa can't afford to resign him and they aren't going to get screwed like the Islanders.

My random prediction is that DW gets him and likely Ryan as well and sends back Tierny and Braun along with whatever prospects and picks Ottawa needs to make this work. EK makes about 12mil. Tierney not signing yet is curious at this point... If they need to maybe they trade Burns or Vlassic next summer or a little later to make room. Totally depends on how else they fill out the D next year.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You clearly don't understand how this works... Whoever EK agrees to terms with is getting him. He might as well be a UFA at this point. This going to be a bidding war just like Tavares but EK won't have loyalty to any of the north american cities. No one is trading for him unless they can work out an extension and EK controls who he wants to extend with. Ottawa can't afford to resign him and they aren't going to get screwed like the Islanders.

My random prediction is that DW gets him and likely Ryan as well and sends back Tierny and Braun along with whatever prospects and picks Ottawa needs to make this work. EK makes about 12mil. Tierney not signing yet is curious at this point... If they need to maybe they trade Burns or Vlassic next summer or a little later to make room. Totally depends on how else they fill out the D next year.

They're gonna trade him no matter what...and be it just as a rental to help a team during the playoffs. I just can't imagine that Dorion will make the same mistake as the Isles. Also, you can't be sure to get him in July so some teams will be prepared to pay.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
They're gonna trade him no matter what...and be it just as a rental to help a team during the playoffs. I just can't imagine that Dorion will make the same mistake as the Isles. Also, you can't be sure to get him in July so some teams will be prepared to pay.

He already said they're letting EK negotiate an extension with interested teams and that trade would have to be worked out after. EK is choosing his destination. It's that simple.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
For goodness sake dump Karlsson somewhere secluded. Arizona would be ideal. Also, they gotta get some kind of RD. DeSimone as Nr.4 with nobody behind would be risky.

I hate the Sharks Karlsson as much as anyone but I'm fine if he's on the 4th line and sometimes scratch. He's 100% effort which is a good thing for the young players to see.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He already said they're letting EK negotiate an extension with interested teams and that trade would have to be worked out after. EK is choosing his destination. It's that simple.

Lol. You're being naive if you think that that's what it is. No way they are gonna trade Karlsson to a division rival and you'd like to think that the Sharks are out, too after Wilson's dickmove.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I hate the Sharks Karlsson as much as anyone but I'm fine if he's on the 4th line and sometimes scratch. He's 100% effort which is a good thing for the young players to see.

He's not even good enough for that. I could live with it but he's DeBoer's favourite toy. He's gonna play top6 no matter what. You just know it.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Lol. You're being naive if you think that that's what it is. No way they are gonna trade Karlsson to a division rival and you'd like to think that the Sharks are out, too after Wilson's dickmove.

What are you talking about? The Sharks aren't out. You're right he probably isn't getting traded in the division. I'm betting Karlsson is smart enough to realize that and is negotiating with one of the other options. Vegas or SJ. I doubt the hoffman trade is even viewed as a dick move by Dorian. He wanted players back and Florida didn't offer him that. Dorian already called florida earlier to try and trade hoffman there so obviously he doesn't care if the guy is in division. He needed a 3rd party to get the return he wanted. In comes DW to save the day for him and give him a player with a higher cap hit than salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad