Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
There should be no arguing on goaltending. Everyone should be able to see the Vondrus is garbage as is not and OHL goalie. It’s crazy that they play him like a #1. I’ll be honest none of our goalies are great but I have most faith in Vandy if I had to choose.
I don’t think we have a choice and I don’t see a reason we shouldn’t give Krawchuk at least another chance. I guess I was wrong about Vondras. The guy is a train wreck again I can’t fathom how he got drafted to the NHL. He’ll be lucky to play university hockey. You think Kitchener didn’t make some defensive mistakes? Of course, they did big difference is they have a goalie to make the save when they need it.

Reactions: BostonOz

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
There should be no arguing on goaltending. Everyone should be able to see the Vondrus is garbage as is not and OHL goalie. It’s crazy that they play him like a #1. I’ll be honest none of our goalies are great but I have most faith in Vandy if I had to choose.
It seems to me that neither Vandy or Vondy should ever start two games in a row!
And I think we should throw Krawchuk into the mix too.
One and two and three, repeat!
Can't be any worse than what we are witnessing now!

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Vandenberg has a great game in the Soo and he alone gets us the one point. His just reward Vondaris gets the next two starts. Who makes these decisions is this the way to build confidence in the better of the two goalies? Do we really think the players are behind these decisions?

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Vandenberg has a great game in the Soo and he alone gets us the one point. His just reward Vondaris getthe next two starts. Who makes these decisions is this the way to build confidence in the better of the two goalies? Do we really think the players are behind these decisions?
No. It's a collective decision between Ken and Rob

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I did think Vandenberg would get the start against his old team Kitchener who he has played well there in the past.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Wolves played a good game early on. Defence and goaltending was a struggle today. Too much to overcome after the 4th goal. Especially with a short bench.

On to Guelph hope they pick up two points.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Vandenberg has a great game in the Soo and he alone gets us the one point. His just reward Vondaris gets the next two starts. Who makes these decisions is this the way to build confidence in the better of the two goalies? Do we really think the players are behind these decisions?
I’ve said before I don’t really blame Rob for this debacle. Not this year he did what he could by bringing in an import goalie who was NHL drafted. The reason they started him is because he was supposed to be the guy and they’re trying to let him get right, it’s just not happening.

I did think Vandenberg would get the start against his old team Kitchener who he has played well there in the past.
The ONLY positive take away was Vandenberg.

Reactions: Wiserbud

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
He is soft it’s not a complaint. Misses more than he plays. Fact! I wish he knew how play with his size but he don’t. But that’s for him to figure out.

WJ
Yes, he is injury prone no doubt about it. He’s also a targeted player man if you look at Dvorsky in comparison, he knows how to play without getting hurt. Some players do, some dont. Look at Suzuki.

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
I’ve said before I don’t really blame Rob for this debacle. Not this year he did what he could by bringing in an import goalie who was NHL drafted. The reason they started him is because he was supposed to be the guy and they’re trying to let him get righappening.

The ONLY positive take away was how can you not blame him? Yes her made some good moves to build this team BUT the fact remains that he decided to keep the goaltending the same at the deadline
How can you not blame him?… yes he made some good moves to help build this team BUT he did not target one of the most important positions at the deadline. We have a team that can win the EAST and a goaltender that ranks 30th in the league for save percentage. He has no game to figure out… he has been bad all year. This mess falls on Robs shoulders.

Reactions: I Loveallsports

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
We really missed DeAngelis today. We literally assisted on 3 goals by Kitchener and let two player dance around our D for net drive goals. Gotta clean that up. A minor set back today. Learn and move on!

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
How can you not blame him?… yes he made some good moves to help build this team BUT he did not target one of the most important positions at the deadline. We have a team that can win the EAST and a goaltender that ranks 30th in the league for save percentage. He has no game to figure out… he has been bad all year. This mess falls on Robs shoulders.
Well I was thinking he should have maybe even released Vondras as some suggested. I just wonder what effect that would’ve had on other imports reporting. I never thought he would be struggling this much well into the second half. Who could’ve predicted that. It’s easy to lay blame after the fact. Why don’t you tell me who was available and how you would have went about it? Owen Flores would have been a great get but no way Niagara was moving him. Ben West in Barrie? How old is he? We would have had to try to pry a goalie away from somewhere which wouldn’t have been easy given how competitive the league never mind the conference was. Also would have cost a lot. I don’t know but what a year to be having serious goaltending issues.

We really missed DeAngelis today. We literally assisted on 3 goals by Kitchener and let two player dance around our D for net drive goals. Gotta clean that up. A minor set back today. Learn and move on!
Especially since we can’t count on a save. Is he hurt too or is it sickness?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
He’s got the ranger n storm flue he will back vs Peterborough keep his ppg up
Really? Sad buddy, did you see the hit he took in the Soo? Rangers flu my ass. Not even in the same league, especially if they’re healthy. Wolves get any kind of goaltending they win. I noticed maybe two players from them all game, three if you count the goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: WE ARE WOLVES

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Ya because that’s the same as game action. Did you ever think maybe he realized he couldn’t go the next day? No way he would’ve missed the game against Saginaw. What a genius. Not worth my time.
Definitely not worth engaging that guy. A handful of a few in this thread who would have to believe Musty and Connor Burgess are actually the same players. Don't think any other fan base throws as much hate on a first round NHL pick as ours.

Reactions: WE ARE WOLVES

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Well I was thinking he should have maybe even released Vondras as some suggested. I just wonder what effect that would’ve had on other imports reporting. I never thought he would be struggling this much well into the second half. Who could’ve predicted that. It’s easy to lay blame after the fact. Why don’t you tell me who was available and how you would have went about it? Owen Flores would have been a great get but no way Niagara was moving him. Ben West in Barrie? How old is he? We would have had to try to pry a goalie away from somewhere which wouldn’t have been easy given how competitive the league never mind the conference was. Also would have cost a lot. I don’t know but what a year to be having serious goaltending issues.

Especially since we can’t count on a save. Is he hurt too or is it sickness?
How about if they would have released or traded Vondras that opens up an import position, then go for a top end goalie using a top 6 forward that would be filled by the import position available. I just don't believe Papeneau was the right guy to make a strategic move to fix the BIGGEST hole on the team Goal tending. This is the dagger in the heart that will make it near impossible to go to the end.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
On a more positive note 7 of the last 15 games are against teams with a sub .500 record with a long home stand n the mix. Could be worse.

How about if they would have released or traded Vondras that opens up an import position, then go for a top end goalie using a top 6 forward that would be filled by the import position available. I just don't believe Papeneau was the right guy to make a strategic move to fix the BIGGEST hole on the team Goal tending. This is the dagger in the heart that will make it near impossible to go to the end.
Youre not telling me anything I don’t know as far would’ve could’ve should’ve. Who is that “top end goalie” you speak of? Did you read the post? Who was going to give up a quality goalie at that point? Easier said than done and you never commented on what that would mean for future imports. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t releasing an import goalie be almost unprecedented and would it not have a very negative impact on future drafts? Like saying come up to Canada but be ready to be released if you don’t cut it and who would have wanted him in a trade? Easier from the stands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad