Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t releasing an import goalie be almost unprecedented and would it not have a very negative impact on future drafts? Like saying come up to Canada but be ready to be released if you don’t cut it and who would have wanted him in a trade? Easier from the stands.
Imports have been released during the season before, but typically it is also a more mutual thing. To be fair, however, an NHL draft import goalie being tied for the 2nd worst SV% among qualifying goalies is also almost unprecedented.

Ultimately, you are right in that by the deadline; high-quality goalies were seemingly not available. Most teams with holes in net identified it much earlier in the season and made moves then. So much like last year, I think it came down to a failure by the Wolves to evaluate what they actually had in terms of talent between the pipes.

Obviously, this sucks, and they have to make do with it at this point, as there is no changing it. Luckily, they have the talent to outscore those problems for now, but I figure that will be a much tougher feat come playoff time.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
On a more positive note 7 of the last 15 games are against teams with a sub .500 record with a long home stand n the mix. Could be worse.

Youre not telling me anything I don’t know as far would’ve could’ve should’ve. Who is that “top end goalie” you speak of? Did you read the post? Who was going to give up a quality goalie at that point? Easier said than done and you never commented on what that would mean for future imports. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t releasing an import goalie be almost unprecedented and would it not have a very negative impact on future drafts? Like saying come up to Canada but be ready to be released if you don’t cut it and who would have wanted him in a trade? Easier from the stands.
Those are questions you should ask the GM he gets paid the big bucks. Do you think Erie may have moved Goudreau guess we will never know. Barrie moved an import do you not think there may have been others.

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
I feel there were moves but the asking price was steep and Paps didn’t want to pay it.. it just sucks that we still have a bunch of picks that were not put to good use. How many picks did Saginaw trade away for Donavon? 8? And we couldn’t bring in a goalie? Either way, no real point speculating anymore. Nothing can be done at this point. We are stuck with what we have and will have to make do. Let’s save the complaining for when we lose out in the 2nd round and just enjoy the ride through clenched teeth. 😬

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I feel there were moves but the asking price was steep and Paps didn’t want to pay it.. it just sucks that we still have a bunch of picks that were not put to good use. How many picks did Saginaw trade away for Donavon? 8? And we couldn’t bring in a goalie? Either way, no real point speculating anymore. Nothing can be done at this point. We are stuck with what we have and will have to make do. Let’s save the complaining for when we lose out in the 2nd round and just enjoy the ride through clenched teeth. 😬
If things were to end today wonder who the wolves lineup with. Hope it's not the bull dogs.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You really do need to consider the cost of marginal gains. It seems easy to throw eight picks at Donovan and later recoup those picks. But how much better does he make an already good team? How much better are the wolves after the VanVliet trade?
Consider that Brantford ihas somehow improved its’ W% with Hamara, Sobelev, Lavoie minus Donovan, VanVliet, Wray, Cheynowski; and, 17 straight games missed by Lardis.

Reactions: justawolfan

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
You really do need to consider the cost of marginal gains. It seems easy to throw eight picks at Donovan and later recoup those picks. But how much better does he make an already good team? How much better are the wolves after the VanVliet trade?
Consider that Brantford ihas somehow improved its’ W% with Hamara, Sobelev, Lavoie minus Donovan, VanVliet, Wray, Cheynowski; and, 17 straight games missed by Lardis.
Agreed you don’t want to get burned in a trade BUT a goalie you have confidence in wouldn’t be a marginal gain. He doesn’t have to best in the league or even top 5 for that matter. He just needs to be steady. How deflating is it when our guy lets in 2 goals on 3 shots.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Agreed you don’t want to get burned in a trade BUT a goalie you have confidence in wouldn’t be a marginal gain. He doesn’t have to best in the league or even top 5 for that matter. He just needs to be steady. How deflating is it when our guy lets in 2 goals on 3 shots.

I also think it's when the goals are given up. So many of them are the first shot of the game, or immediately after the Wolves score. Just deflating.

Reactions: BostonOz

cub

Apr 11, 2012
decent first period, legs are heavy, the opportunities are there. These announcers love pumping up their own players, constant throughout game.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The goal allowed on first shot plagues most teams.
Aside from paying a ransom to a team with no intention of selling in DiVincentiis, there is not a goalie I believe any on this board would have been satisfied with; not Goudreau or Oake or Stutszka or Donoso or Micheline or West ….

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
The goal allowed on first shot plagues most teams.
Aside from paying a ransom to a team with no intention of selling in DiVincentiis, there is not a goalie I believe any on this board would have been satisfied with; not Goudreau or Oake or Stutszka or Donoso or Micheline or West ….
Ridiculous post

Reactions: BostonOz

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Guelph annoucer complaining about a wolves player going to the ice after taking a puck to the face. Absolute clown, someone needs to hit him in the face with a puck.

Reactions: WolvesFan and cub

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Vandenberg is playing some great hockey today. On the other hand, wolves offence mostly just taking perimeter shots and not generating much of worth yet.

Wolves too many men while on the PP, bench management is great as usual.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Vandenberg awesome so far. no jinx :) Need to stay discipline, and capitalize on some of our chances, few extra passes when they could shoot.

Reactions: CTrain10

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Not enough motion on the PP. Have to wonder how much they are running on with sickness, injuries and playing in the 4th game since Wednesday among the travel. I will be happy if they come out a point today. A win is a bonus!

WJ

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
What a goal tending dual, best goal tending performance of the season for the wolves. I guess Vandenbergs just reward will be Vondras in next game just like his pat on the back for is super performance in the Soo game.

Not enough motion on the PP. Have to wonder how much they are running on with sickness, injuries and playing in the 4th game since Wednesday among the travel. I will be happy if they come out a point today. A win is a bonus!

WJ
Can really tell they are somewhat spent, real tough road trip but Vandi is keeping them in and giving them a real chance to win.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Well well well I guess we played possum for the first two periods. The line adjustments and extra gas was totally unexpected. The PP goal was a beauty!

As for the penalty on Mania that was crap!!! Ref blows on that call.

Konyen missed the third hope nothing serious. We need our walking wounded back!!!

Nice win and more importantly maintain first in the East and we clinched a playoff birth officially!!!

WJ

This team could really use some more solid goaltending performances like that
We played much better defensively as well. That helps eliminating second chances and simply boxing teams out.

Love McCoy and DeAngelios leadership. Those two are so good for us.

WJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad