OT - NO POLITICS Subs, taxes and frozen pipes edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Thanks

Funeral home has been selected and they will most of the heavy lifting as that is what they do.

The incidentals add up - $750 for the Mass, the Globe charges $400 for the obit etc etc

When my parents passed the local paper hit us for $ 750.00 apiece & the only reason we did it is because so many of their friends still had newspaper subscriptions. I do know several people who have refused or couldn't pay that kind of money and just went with an announcement on the funeral home's website and their own social media accounts.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
When my parents passed the local paper hit us for $ 750.00 apiece & the only reason we did it is because so many of their friends still had newspaper subscriptions. I do know several people who have refused or couldn't pay that kind of money and just went with an announcement on the funeral home's website and their own social media accounts.
That's obscene.

I think Cape Cod Times was like $300-350 when we had to do then for my grandparents and my wife's grandmother.

750 is out of control.

Reactions: Kovi

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Boarding again……

9D9371FD-C0D8-400E-B5EB-D07773F741C9.png

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Prayers now extended to Ohio as well as that system wreaks havoc there;

also, no Space X Launch as that was scrubbed....

Crew Dragon came within 2 minutes of liftoff, then an issue with the starter unit that fires the engines off put a halt to everything (yes, I got up to watch it) Going to try again Thursday I think. 🚀

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
That's obscene.

I think Cape Cod Times was like $300-350 when we had to do then for my grandparents and my wife's grandmother.

750 is out of control.

Small newspapers especially have seen their ad revenue destroyed by Google so now they charge a lot more than they used to for stuff like this & legal notices too. In another decade there will be no small newspapers, they just can't produce the revenue needed to pay for staff anymore.

Reactions: ProdigalFan

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
also long duration event for majority of New England weather-wise from Early Tuesday through Early Wednesday.... likely the same system that's battered OK/OH....

yeah.
i go by the sky.
seeing how its cold. im guessing about 10 inches at my ranch.
no school and a day off from work.
weather men are the most overpaid clowns in the world.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
John had home delivery of the Times, Globe and even the Herald. He definitely would want to be in print.

Learned one thing today. You can’t call it a wake if there is no casket. The only way the cemetery could place him next to his parents is being cremated.

Reactions: BMC

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I agree completely.

I’m terrified of heights and flying. (Pretty funny that I grew up wanting to be a paratrooper.)

As far as safety goes, they say flying is the safest mode of transportation there is, but I’ve never once heard of a train plummeting thousands of feet to the ground. I love trains :)
planes were made to stay up, not fall down.

I get it though. I didnt fly until I was well into my 50s. Still not my favorite way, but I can get it done. (I highly recommend flying with Glove Malfunction. The man is an airport legend and never gets lost)

Last edited:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
We recently set up a trust for everything we have and set up beneficiaries etc. Hella costly, but starting to think it was a good plan. It asks you to have all the uncomfortable discussions and reflect on what you want.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
We recently set up a trust for everything we have and set up beneficiaries etc. Hella costly, but starting to think it was a good plan. It asks you to have all the uncomfortable discussions and reflect on what you want.
Made everything much easier for my mom when my dad passed.

The beneficiaries are key. I’ve seen what happens when someone forgets to update theirs. It’s awful.

Reactions: Kovi

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I’ve tried having the “advance care planning” and “final wishes” conversation with my parents.

It’s like slamming my head against a brick wall.

“Just do whatever. I don’t care.”

Not helpful.

My mother’s mind is going. She asked me what my son’s name was on the phone the other day. This is after she asked me “I’m his aunt, right?” when she met him the first time.

And yes, she still drives.

What do her social worker and my dad’s social worker do? Couldn’t tell ya.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
The beneficiaries are key. I’ve seen what happens when someone forgets to update theirs. It’s awful.
Yup. My dad died with no will. Plus the beneficiary on his 401K was my mom, who predeceased him by 10 years. If he had only changed the beneficiaries to his children, we could have 1. gotten the money quickly, since 401K's don't need to be probated with named beneficiaries, and 2. we could have rolled over the money as an "Inherited IRA" and would only have had to take out the RMD amount that my dad was entitled to each year. Much better than what actually happened, which was the 3 of us had to take our cut as a lump sum, which knocked us all into higher tax brackets and we paid through the nose that year.
Again, check those beneficiaries!

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Made everything much easier for my mom when my dad passed.

Agree....my Mom had our eldest sibling (5 of us) as beneficiary of her life insurance policy , since she was the most mature and would distribute it.....yeah that didn't happen....kept it all herself....

Hope she rots in....well....(rhymes with that) LOL

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
another odd story from 'The County' AS WE CALL it;

Bison on the loose;

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I’ve tried having the “advance care planning” and “final wishes” conversation with my parents.

It’s like slamming my head against a brick wall.

“Just do whatever. I don’t care.”

Not helpful.

My mother’s mind is going. She asked me what my son’s name was on the phone the other day. This is after she asked me “I’m his aunt, right?” when she met him the first time.

And yes, she still drives.

What do her social worker and my dad’s social worker do? Couldn’t tell ya.
I'm so sorry. This type of planning is absolutely gut wrenching sometimes.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jet Blue has 2 flights delayed going to Logan and I can’t risk being trapped at JFK - Of course Lyft has surge pricing in effect with the snow - off to Amtrak

1677564175912.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad