Stutzle or Byfield

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stutzle or Byfield, who will be the better player?

• Total voters

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pretty simple way to look at a situation that is far more complex. Stutzle is likely going to be a center in the NHL unless he runs into a situation like L.A who already has Kopitar, Vilardi and Turcotte. If he is drafted by Ottawa they will absolutely be developing him as a center. If he is capable of it at 17 at the WJC and excelling it should translate to the NHL level. He has the size, work rate and hockey IQ to be a center.

Yes, but this discussion is going around how another will be NHL center and another can be.

On those cases, you take the "will be" guy. There's just higher probability for another good one, and that's the decision maker.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
If Byfield played in the DEL do you think he would have played center?

At the WJC Byfield played wing and Stutzle played center....

They are both going to be centers in the NHL.

Stutzle actually played LW last year in junior and this year too, where as Byfield has been center forever.

I think it's clear Byfield is a center and probably better chance than 50-50 Stutzle is too. But not a sure thing, even though he has the game for it (as does Lafrenierre). That said, Stuzle will likely play "like" a center beyond his own blueline, just like Patrick Kane does.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
There is a chance that the German league plays in September/October this season before the NHL draft in mid-October. Last season Adler Mannheim had played 10 games by October 13th.

With those choosing Byfield over Stutzle; Is there anything Stutzle can do in those 10-12 games that would sway posters towards Stutzle.

Edit: I see the DEL plans on starting on October 30-November 1st, so my above post is now irrelevant.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Stutzle actually played LW last year in junior and this year too, where as Byfield has been center forever.

I think it's clear Byfield is a center and probably better chance than 50-50 Stutzle is too. But not a sure thing, even though he has the game for it (as does Lafrenierre). That said, Stuzle will likely play "like" a center beyond his own blueline, just like Patrick Kane does.
Stutzle played center at the WJC.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It's very clear both are centers.

Leon Draisaitl and Evgeny Malkin have both played wing at certain points of their career for shifts or games due to team need. It doesn't mean they aren't centers.

Exactly, them having flexibility and the hockey IQ to successfully play both centre and wing, much like Draisaitl is a compliment not a detriment.

Long term, both Byfield and Stutzle are centres, but both could easily play on the wing if needed in certain situations especially early on in their careers.

Neither Stutzle nor Byfield are physically “pro ready” and mature in the same way Lafreniere is. However, they aren’t that far off. Lots of room physically for growth to fill into their man bodies with Stutzle and Byfield. Byfield in particular is still like a lanky puppy, once he fills into his man body around 23-25 he’ll be a physical force to handle carrying the puck.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There is a chance that the German league plays in September/October this season before the NHL draft in mid-October. Last season Adler Mannheim had played 10 games by October 13th.

With those choosing Byfield over Stutzle; Is there anything Stutzle can do in those 10-12 games that would sway posters towards Stutzle.
probably

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Here’s a “hot take”...as of the end of September, it’s still around 50/50 in the poll while the LA board is like 5 to 1 Byfield over Stutzle. Most of the Kings posters I’ve read correlate Byfield’s similar size and position with the current captain, Anze Kopitar.

I don’t see much of Byfield’s game as anything like Kopitar. In fact, my take is, Tim Stutzle has more in common with a young Kopitar. He’s just a couple inches shorter but I think how a player thinks and plays the game is more important than a couple inches.

Other than they are both centers...
1) Stutzle is head and shoulders the best player on his national junior team

2) They both get the majority of points passing and less on shooting (Kopitar is a 70 point, 20 goal guy).

3) Both are known for their skating

4) Both were overlooked during their draft year, despite Stutzle shooting up later...some of which had to do with Drai, because they come from a non-powerhouse hockey country

5) Both played against men in their D year, DEL for Stutzle, SEL for Kopitar

6) Both have shined in tournament play

7) Stutzle was projected to be a late first rounder due to scouts not knowing German hockey that much but has now seen as the overall 2nd best player available in the draft; Kopitar in retrospect has been described as the 2nd overall best player in his draft, behind Crosby

8) Just an interesting point, irony-wise...Stutzle is being compared/contrasted to Byfield; Kopitar was compared/contrasted with Malkin in his D year; Byfield is often compare with Malkin, ceiling-wise

I think this gives a lot of commonality, especially handling the drink-stirrer role for their national team, in how the two players see themselves, as leaders and playmakers. Right now Kopitar is 6’3”, 224 pounds. Stutzle is 6’1, about 210-ish pounds and can still grow a little bit. He bulked up a lot in the off season...maybe to fulfill a certain role for a certain team?

Anyways, that’s how my heart feels. My head, not so sure...I didn’t get to see a ton of Kopitar in the SEL unlike how much video I’ve seen of Stutzle in his draft year.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Like I said there,

RoCyBXO.jpg

I think they can't go wrong with either guy but there's a point at which you start getting too cute in analysis. Watching so many people talk themselves out of Byfield across the boards is getting kinda tiring.

Triple B posse in the house.

Better
Be
Byfield.

:towel:

Reactions: steepdrop

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Voted Stutzle but in terms of impact I’d go with Byfield. IE, Stutzle will score more points but Byfield will have a greater impact on a teams win-loss record and playoff success

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Will Stuetzle get a chance at C this season or stick to LW like last season?

I've had Byfield ahead all along but if there's much of a chance of him missing the season then I might be ready to move Stuetzle ahead.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Surprised this poll is so close. Byfield has by far the higher ceiling. He has the potential to be a dominant number one centre. Those players are pretty much an absolute need to win a Cup. Sure teams can turn over a rock and get Point layer in the draft, but that so rare. Get a chance to draft a guy with that number one centre ceiling, and it’s got to be done.
Give me Byfield 100 times out of 100 over Stützle.

Reactions: TheShowBizPizzaBear

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Pretty sure Stutzle has always been a Center, until this past season as a 17 year old playing in a men’s pro league which is not a junior league.

Reactions: Rorschach and bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad