Stutzle or Byfield

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stutzle or Byfield, who will be the better player?

• Total voters

ijuka

May 14, 2016
His age and usage
I see. Well, I guess he is 7 months younger than Stützle but Stützle was just mindblowingly good at u-20s, better to the eye than Lafreniere to me, though it's difficult comparing players from countries of such different calibre.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dennis Bernstein had an interesting tidbit the other day, not one that was new, but worthwhile to remember:

The Turn of a Card — The Fourth Period

LA wanting Dach suggests to me that they were (and, likely, still are) looking for that eventual Kopitar replacement. This draft offers them a second chance to get that, so they may not want to pass on it.

Of course, I can also lists reasons why they might pick Stutzle (ex. Vilardi might've convinced them this season that he could conceivably replace Kopitar, they don't have many prospects with Stutzle's strengths, they're really proud of their European scouting and fellow German Marco Sturm is an assistant coach). There's really no telling which direction they'll go in.

I've read they like Stuetzle better than Byfield. I guess we'll see who they pick. It doesn't seem like its all that clear.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I might be minority opinion but in the games I have seen of Byfield, he has been very underwhelming or invisible. He was unnoticeable at the WJC, there were a bunch of players at the top prospects game that stood out over him and I watched a Sudbury game on TV one night and he didn't exactly look like a standout on a not so good team in that game either. I could be wrong but i thought a kid with his physical tools in his draft year would show a lot more in some of these big, heavily scouted games. It wouldnt surprise me if he becomes similar to Nolan Patrick.

I have only seen Stützle at the WJC but holy crap he was impressive. That's a kid who looks like a top 5 pick every time he was on the ice.

For me, Stützle looks like the better player but I wouldn't critisize LA for taking Byfield. It's not everyday you have a 6'4 , 215lbs centerman that puts up almost 2ppg in the OHL fall into your lap. Adding him behind Kopitar while having the likes of Kupari, Turcotte, Vilardi, Kaliev and Thomas coming up is a helluva group. Ottawa is going to have a great group whoever they pick as well. Adding 2 of Stuzle/Byfield and Drysdale/Rossi etc to Tkachuk, Norris, White, Batherson, Formenton, Chabot and Brannstrom is looking good as well.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
^ Part of the problem is when those of us who don't follow prospects for a living see only a compiled list of highlights for a particular player it doesn't paint the complete picture.

What about the other 18-20 minutes that game when he wasn't scoring? What about those games where he wasn't a factor? How did the other team shut him down or did he not just show up?

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
This is neck and neck

Great situation for both LA and Ottawa, in some ways it's nice to be a Sens fans we dont have to choose lol

Stutzle is electric and further along in his development, playing in a pro men's league has been such a benefit to his game.

As people have mentioned there are more deficiencies in Byfields play, but that's part of the appeal. A kid so dominant but with probably the most room to grow out of the top guys. The potential Is ridiculous but development has to be on point.

At 50/50 coin toss: Stutzle has the advantage of being the PP quarterback and versatility (C and W), Byfield has the 200 ft true centerman, and a power game (size with speed) advantage

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Dennis Bernstein had an interesting tidbit the other day, not one that was new, but worthwhile to remember:

The Turn of a Card — The Fourth Period

LA wanting Dach suggests to me that they were (and, likely, still are) looking for that eventual Kopitar replacement. This draft offers them a second chance to get that, so they may not want to pass on it.

Of course, I can also lists reasons why they might pick Stutzle (ex. Vilardi might've convinced them this season that he could conceivably replace Kopitar, they don't have many prospects with Stutzle's strengths, they're really proud of their European scouting and fellow German Marco Sturm is an assistant coach). There's really no telling which direction they'll go in.

Dach and Byfield are nothing alike as players though. I doubt scouts are so simplistic as to only look at a players size when determining which player they will draft.

Reactions: The Sweetness

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Stutzle.

I've read multiple times people questioning Byfield's work-ethic and on ice intensity which definitely isn't a good thing to be said. Also from I've seen of him he plays like a 5'8" guy rather than a 6'4" power center. From my own viewings I also question Byfield's upper end ceiling and how likely he is to reach it. Just nothing there that screams elite center to me. Especially in the modern NHL. The big centers of the league (Kopitar, Getzlaf, Thorton) have been becoming less practical and the league is shifting to the modern era of speedy superstars like McDavid, Pastrnak, Eichel and Mackinnon. Draisaitl is the only one in the upper echelon of superstar who still plays that big bodied power forward style game.

I haven't seen a ton of Stutzle, but Byfield is underwhelming for a top 2 pick in my opinion, so I'm going with Stutzle because I think most scouts nowadays will value the hockey IQ and hands over the guy with size when the upside is comparable.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I went with Stuetzle, but I can see arguments either way. I think I had them at 3 and 5 on my final draft list, so it's not a big difference.

I think with Stuetzle, you have a lot of people mistyping the kid. He's a lot better of a two way player than people think, and is a near certainty to stick at center. He's not the offensive dynamo that a lot think. He played on the top PP for the best team in his league, and got a lot of points that way. He's good offensively, but he's no MacKinnon, Barzal, McDavid. These comparisons are not on point. Think more Hischier. Good offensive player, but I don't see that elite offensive gear most claim he has.

With Byfield, I think the kid is surely talented. Elite size and skating, and the offensive ability is pretty good. It's probably not elite. I don't think its at the level to be a Lindros/Malkin level of sure-fire HOF'er, but there's a ceiling that exists where its good enough that he has a career like Eric Staal. Worst case scenario, the offense doesn't develop that great, and he's like a 50 point per season player. There are so few players in the league with his combination of size and skating. Having even a modicum of offensive skill will result in a top 6 player. I'm not that convinced by his hockey IQ either, but I don't think it's terrible. It's not that good for most players his size, so being average in that area isn't that much of a problem.

The other problem I see, and this might be how I'm separating the two is that I have never seen Byfield play well. I have seen him play many times, more than enough that I should've seen him play well by now. I can't remember a top prospect that prior to being drafted I saw play a lot and never caught one of their good games. When you don't see these dominating performances people talk about, it's harder to be as big of a fan of him as some others are.
This applies to Puljujarvi as well

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018
Just wanted to ask someone that saw him in person a lot what they thought of his shot. Basically I wonder how good the accuracy and power in the shot is. I just get to watch videos of him and I noticed quite a few missed nets and saves. Like I said that is just watching videos, is this similar to what you guys see in person on a game in game out basis or his shot better than we see on the videos we are able to watch?

that was my only negative on the kid watching the videos. Either way Kings and Sens each get a great prospect.

I personally give the slight edge to Byfield at this point. Kings fans have been spoiled by watching a big bodied Skilled pivot in Kopitar for the last dozen years and I think that size up the middle will be dearly missed when Kopitar has to retire. Plus the fact that he can mentor Byfield for 2 to 3 years before he hangs them up is an absolute game changer.

Stutzle's shot is his weakest part of his offensive game. He has a decent release and can hit a corner, but has some problems with his shot selection and getting the puck through. Much more a playmaker and not a sniper. However, the other parts of his game are so elite and he's an easy number 2 pick for me.

Reactions: derriko and funky

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
Bob McKenzie doesn't rank the players, 5 scouts had Byfield 2 and 5 scouts had Stützle 2 so using his list is a little curious for picking Stützle over Byfield. .

And I wish people would stop typing it Stutzle, you can just say Stytzle if you can't be bothered to type ü. But it's ü not u, completely different letters.

Lol, get a life.

In Spanish we don’t even type out the accent marks most of the time and we have them on our keyboard.

You think anglophones who do not have the ü key on their keyboard are going to go through all that trouble to please some pretentious Finn?

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Here is why I think Byfield's WJC is not a good analysis for him as a player. The consensus opinion is pretty skewed imo.

In the 2019 WJC, Lafreniere got 8:15 of ice time on average, his highest 14-0 game was against Denmark, where he got 14:14, but went scoreless.

In 2020 WJC, Byfield got 8:41 of ice time on average, his highest being the 6-0 Loss against Russia at 12:56. If you want to find his weaknesses, watch highlights of that game. On goal #3 and #6, there is lack of defensive awareness. He needed to put more defensive pressure on the open centerman/goal scorer. Notably, he also played 11:40 in the 4-3 win against USA, where he was a +2 against a stacked Team USA.

2020 WJC Byfield is only 53 days (less than 2 months) older than 2019 WJC Lafreniere. Their ages and performances are very similar. He did not have a disappointing WJC if you factor that in. Im putting my money that he has a dominate WJC next year, if he is there.

Also remember, Quinton Byfield was considered a contender for #1 overall up all the until that gold game for Canada, where Lafreniere really dominated. But to compare 2020 Lafreniere to 2020 Byfield is not fair, considering Lafreniere is 312 days (or about 10 months) older than Byfield.

Aatu Raty (top tier 2021 prospect) played for Finland and had 3 points. He is only 34 days younger than Byfield, got more ice time, and no one considered his performance bad. Many would argue that it was decent. Also, Byfield and Raty were the 2 youngest players in the 2020 WJC.

Thoughts?

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This applies to Puljujarvi as well

Puljujarvi had the game to be a top six forward. He was developed poorly. He still could end up a second liner, as well. I also don’t think Puljujarvi was ever as good as Byfield nor do I believe he’s as good in those two parts of the game.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Stutzle.

I've read multiple times people questioning Byfield's work-ethic and on ice intensity which definitely isn't a good thing to be said. Also from I've seen of him he plays like a 5'8" guy rather than a 6'4" power center. From my own viewings I also question Byfield's upper end ceiling and how likely he is to reach it. Just nothing there that screams elite center to me. Especially in the modern NHL. The big centers of the league (Kopitar, Getzlaf, Thorton) have been becoming less practical and the league is shifting to the modern era of speedy superstars like McDavid, Pastrnak, Eichel and Mackinnon. Draisaitl is the only one in the upper echelon of superstar who still plays that big bodied power forward style game.

I haven't seen a ton of Stutzle, but Byfield is underwhelming for a top 2 pick in my opinion, so I'm going with Stutzle because I think most scouts nowadays will value the hockey IQ and hands over the guy with size when the upside is comparable.

Theres nothing underwhelming about Byfield.

CHL rookie of the year in his first. OHL all time (top 10) ppg pace in year #2. Best player on the ice for his team nearly every single night, and in no way has work ethic issues. Total fallacy, tbe kid wants to be a difference maker at both ends of the ice every game. This summer would be year 3 for him working with Gary Robert's and his gang, fwiw.

We are excited to officially name Quinton Byfield as an Alternate Captain of our team,” said Sudbury Wolves Head Coach Cory Stillman. “His work ethic on the ice is the driving force behind our team every game.”
-January 2020

Those are not the words that a coach (a former good NHLer) uses for a player that he feels like isnt working hard enough on some nights.

Last edited:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Stutzle.

The "big centers of the league" that you named aren't becoming less practical: they are just getting old. I mean, Thornton was drafted in 1997. If 17 year old Joe was in this year's draft, he'd be discussed for 1OA.

As for Kopitar, he has never had a PPG season so his 62 points in 70 games this year is still pretty good for him. 21 minutes a night and a +6 on a bad team. Is he not "practical"? Is Malkin becoming "less practical"? Scheifele? Wheeler is a wing but has played center as well.

You named some great players that aren't as big as the three old guys. That's great: there are always great players that aren't giants because, well, giant players with speed and skill are a rarity.

Byfield has great speed while also having some of the top hands in the draft. He has all of that in a huge frame. That is a rarity and why he is such an enticing prospect. This isn't drafting Taylor Pyatt or Kyle Beach because they are power forwards that also put up points in Juniors: this is drafting a kid that put up nearly 2PPG as a 17 year old in the OHL that also happens to be a guy that might wind up playing in the NHL at 6'4" and 230 pounds. His skill set and size works in the NHL in every era.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
I've read multiple times people questioning Byfield's work-ethic and on ice intensity which definitely isn't a good thing to be said.

LOL. Byfield works and trains like a beast. He has a top notch work-ethic. That's part of the reason he's going to turn into an absolute stud for LA. Some people out there throwing lots of shade at Byfield, quite comical to read from people who have had limited viewings of him. Every game he's played for Sudbury the last two seasons I've seen. Road games watched online and home games been there live to watch at the old barn in Sudbury. This kid is something special, but so is Stutzle. So I guess both LA and Ottawa hit the jackpot in the end. I can only comment on Byfield's game because I've seen him play so much, but wow is he ever the complete package, to go along with his gifted size and frame. Franchise centerman. Don't think LA will pass on him but that may be my own bias speaking. Time will tell.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Two players of equal skills, compete, and effort. Easy choice. Select the the guy who inches taller, and projected to be 40 pounds heavier. It would be a serious mistake by any club to choose the much smaller player if the two guys equally grade out.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
His age and usage
And his length combined with age. He’s tall, and slim. He’s still physically maturing into a man. Stutzle is smaller, and already a man physically. He’s exactly the kind of player (short and already developed) who doesn’t improve much. Seriously high bust potential.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
Especially in the modern NHL. The big centers of the league (Kopitar, Getzlaf, Thorton) have been becoming less practical and the league is shifting to the modern era of speedy superstars like McDavid, Pastrnak, Eichel and Mackinnon. Draisaitl is the only one in the upper echelon of superstar who still plays that big bodied power forward style game.

Works great until the Stanley Cup playoff start.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
2017-2018
LAK823557922120727026020017.554.13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
and he was PPG player in the stanley cup playoffs twice.

Of course I forgot that his Hart Finalist season was the one where he went over a PPG.

Point remains that his pace this season isn't an indication that he is "less practical".

OperationHotMother

Dec 22, 2006
LOL. Byfield works and trains like a beast. He has a top notch work-ethic. That's part of the reason he's going to turn into an absolute stud for LA. Some people out there throwing lots of shade at Byfield, quite comical to read from people who have had limited viewings of him. Every game he's played for Sudbury the last two seasons I've seen. Road games watched online and home games been there live to watch at the old barn in Sudbury. This kid is something special, but so is Stutzle. So I guess both LA and Ottawa hit the jackpot in the end. I can only comment on Byfield's game because I've seen him play so much, but wow is he ever the complete package, to go along with his gifted size and frame. Franchise centerman. Don't think LA will pass on him but that may be my own bias speaking. Time will tell.

Sigh and here I was getting hopeful that he'd somehow drop to us at 3rd because people were sleeping on him. But I'm still hopeful -- exactly half the scouts that Bob McKenzie surveyed had Stuetzle at 2 and Byfield lower (a couple had him at 6). Hopefully the LA scout was in that group.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Stutzle is closer to being an NHL player, and might be a pretty good one already. I could see him having a pretty solid rookie year with around 50-55 pts. I don't think Byfield would be very effective next season hypothetically, but I think he has everything to become a high impact 1C in two-three seasons if he's developed properly.

I think I'd prefer QB's ceiling over Stutz's floor ultimately, and if I'm LA, I'd pick the best player and be patient to maximize how good the team can potentially become in three-four seasons with the amount of high-end prospects they have, rather than just focus on becoming good now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad