Stutzle or Byfield

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stutzle or Byfield, who will be the better player?

• Total voters

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Seems like they pronounce it like "Shtootzle" which is much closer to a "u" than a "y" in English. For example in the name "Susan". Unless I'm mishearing it?

Also English keyboard doesn't have a ü
While typing, hold down the Alt key and type 0252, you’ll get a ü. On iOS, you just light press and hold the u button.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Any concerns raised about how Stutzle's game transitions to the smaller ice surface? At least with Byfield it's not a question (only how he transitions to the pro game) but that could sway L.A. to take the "safer" pick in Quinton.
Not at all. Just look at how he played at the WJC

Reactions: Rorschach

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
This might sound dumb but I think byfield has the higher ceiling and floor, its just that stutzle is more likely to hit closer to his ceiling.
Doesn't sound dumb at all. If all goes well for both, I think Byfield is better. If both develop poorly, I think Byfield will make it as a bottom 6. Stutzle though, I think, is more likely to hit his ceiling

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Any concerns raised about how Stutzle's game transitions to the smaller ice surface? At least with Byfield it's not a question (only how he transitions to the pro game) but that could sway L.A. to take the "safer" pick in Quinton.
I'd say Stützle's game should suit the smaller ice surface better than Byfield's. Byfield's the one I'd be more concerned for, you can't just score in transition at will like he could at CHL, unless you're at McDavid's level, which he's not. Stützle's able to manoeuvre in tight spaces much more effectively.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'd say Stützle's game should suit the smaller ice surface better than Byfield's. Byfield's the one I'd be more concerned for, you can't just score in transition at will like he could at CHL, unless you're at McDavid's level, which he's not. Stützle's able to manoeuvre in tight spaces much more effectively.
Byfield is a superstar north and south, I very much worry about his east and west game.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
ISS, Mckeens, HockeyProspect, Sportsnet, Button and McKenzie scouts (even though it’s basically a tie) have Stützle 2.

Elite prospects, hockey’s Future, The Athletic, ESPN have Byfield 2

gonna be interesting to see who LA picks
No one had Dach as #3 Last year.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
It would be tough to pass up on that big 6’4 first line center
I very highly doubt thats what would be passed up on.

I have concerns about both games transitioning to the NHL, but I'd take the higher skill stützle over byfield easily. I dont think either end up the second best player in the draft tbh.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
This is true, it was pretty shocking that Chicago passed on Byram when it happened.
As a Hawks fan very happy with Dach ( originally wanted Turcotte) he is going to be special. Chose Byfield here that big 1C is so hard to get.I think Stutzle will be also great

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

I'm glad someone else has noticed this. He's great on the rush because his straight ahead speed is so much better than most everybody in the OHL, but Byfield skates into a corner if he can't get it to the net and then is outmuscled by 5'11" defensemen, and the puck ends up going the other direction again.

He's got a great skillset but I really don't like the lack of assertiveness/killer instinct, and the lack of zone control that Perfetti, Rossi, Stutzle and Lafrenierre bring to their games. They get the puck and they don't want to give it up until they see the highest percentage play. I think that mentality changing is going to be a major factor in what he becomes as an NHL player.

Stutzle is going to be a multi-directional threat in the NHL whether he's a center or wing. The kind of guy you can count on for controlled zone entries, possession, and cycling back into his defensive zone with the puck when the neutral zone is clogged up. I'll take that any day.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I think LA will take Byfield at 2 and Stutzle will fall to the Sens at 3. As a Sens fan I couldn't be happier. I do think Byfield may have more upside due to his sheer size, but I definitely question Byfield's hockey IQ and whether he has elite #1C in him at the NHL level. I see Stutzel as absolutely having elite talent and while his floor may be lower, this is a guy that was already playing against men and succeeding.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
7 forward-1dmen.
Drysdale is an important piece of puzzle. More than another good forward.

That list omitted Mikey Anderson and Jordan Spence, who are definitely in their.top ten. Clague, Moverare and Hults have NHL potential as well.

The Kings defense is in very good shape. Goaltending is the glaring weakness among the prospect pool, but good goaltending is not expensive to buy.

Reactions: KopitarFAN

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Draft Dynasty on Youtube first mentioned his concern about Byfield getting the bulk of his production from transition and now every criticism of byfield includes this option based off some youtuber. No offence to draft dynasty.

People that have watched him all season have been saying that. It's been magnified by draft dynasty and other scouting sites as well. It's a legit concern that people overlook because he's big. The days of big men like Lindros dragging 2 pylon defensemen on his back to the net are over. The game is a lot more east-west now.

Rossi, Perfetti, Stutzle, Lafrenierre all have shown an ability to circle back into their end to wait for center ice to open up, and have shown an ability to be shifty in the corners and on the halfboards in the offensive zone. Byfield chugs the puck up ice in a straight line. It's either in the net, the play gets stopped on a save, or he gets angled off into a corner and loses it. The guy needs to get stronger on the boards.

Last edited:

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Stutzle is the better player now and likely will be for a couple years.

The reason Byfield is so tantalizing is because of how flawed he is. His skating technique is poor, his posture is poor, his polish just isn't there. Byfield has become a top 2 prospect based entirely off his skill and speed. If Byfield keeps what made him so highly touted and improves his technique and adds strength to his game, he'll be the best player from this draft.

If I was a GM and I had faith in my system to develop him, I'd take him 1OA.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Draft Dynasty on Youtube first mentioned his concern about Byfield getting the bulk of his production from transition and now every criticism of byfield includes this option based off some youtuber. No offence to draft dynasty.
This is so true lol. I see that parroted constantly by people who just started looking up YouTube videos of these prospects.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Just wanted to ask someone that saw him in person a lot what they thought of his shot. Basically I wonder how good the accuracy and power in the shot is. I just get to watch videos of him and I noticed quite a few missed nets and saves. Like I said that is just watching videos, is this similar to what you guys see in person on a game in game out basis or his shot better than we see on the videos we are able to watch?

that was my only negative on the kid watching the videos. Either way Kings and Sens each get a great prospect.

I personally give the slight edge to Byfield at this point. Kings fans have been spoiled by watching a big bodied Skilled pivot in Kopitar for the last dozen years and I think that size up the middle will be dearly missed when Kopitar has to retire. Plus the fact that he can mentor Byfield for 2 to 3 years before he hangs them up is an absolute game changer.
I wish more people had that line of thinking. Listening to the NHL Network on SiriusXM the other day and they had a guest on and he was going on about how the Kings are going to have to make brutal decisions and need to trade Kopitar in the next year or two because of his age. He's the guy they need to keep around to mentor Vilardi and Byfield if that's who they select. He's the perfect mentor for those guys

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Dennis Bernstein had an interesting tidbit the other day, not one that was new, but worthwhile to remember:
The Fourth Period said:
Another indicator of a lean towards Byfield goes back to the speculation around last year’s draft – had L.A. landed at No.3 instead of No.5, Kirby Dach (selected by Chicago) would have been chosen – not a slight to their eventual selection of Alex Turcotte but an affirmation of finding a pivot in the mold of Kopitar (Dach is 6’4” 197, Byfield 6’4” 215).
The Turn of a Card — The Fourth Period

LA wanting Dach suggests to me that they were (and, likely, still are) looking for that eventual Kopitar replacement. This draft offers them a second chance to get that, so they may not want to pass on it.

Of course, I can also lists reasons why they might pick Stutzle (ex. Vilardi might've convinced them this season that he could conceivably replace Kopitar, they don't have many prospects with Stutzle's strengths, they're really proud of their European scouting and fellow German Marco Sturm is an assistant coach). There's really no telling which direction they'll go in.

Last edited:

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I'm always the guy that wants the big center but I prefer Stutzle's game from the little I've watched. He's more of a game breaker with a more well rounded game at this time.

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
Byfield for sure, he is undoubtedly going to be a center at the NHL level, he is an August birthday, and yet does really well despite flaws he has. If the team that picks him develops him right he'll be a pretty scary player. The way he covers the ice and uses his reach in his defensive play will cause havoc for opposing teams. Players like Byfield are very rare, it would be stupid to pass on him IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad