Stutzle or Byfield

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stutzle or Byfield, who will be the better player?

• Total voters

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If I had the #2 pick I would probably take Byfield.

But I would've been equally happy to get 1, 2, or 3.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Oversimplifying but it sounds like this is a classic one player has the higher ceiling (Stutzle) and one has the higher floor (Byfield).

I'd be curious to know if anyone sees it the other way, but that is my layman's opinion from what I understand of both guys.
This might sound dumb but I think byfield has the higher ceiling and floor, its just that stutzle is more likely to hit closer to his ceiling.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I went with Stuetzle, but I can see arguments either way. I think I had them at 3 and 5 on my final draft list, so it's not a big difference.

I think with Stuetzle, you have a lot of people mistyping the kid. He's a lot better of a two way player than people think, and is a near certainty to stick at center. He's not the offensive dynamo that a lot think. He played on the top PP for the best team in his league, and got a lot of points that way. He's good offensively, but he's no MacKinnon, Barzal, McDavid. These comparisons are not on point. Think more Hischier. Good offensive player, but I don't see that elite offensive gear most claim he has.

With Byfield, I think the kid is surely talented. Elite size and skating, and the offensive ability is pretty good. It's probably not elite. I don't think its at the level to be a Lindros/Malkin level of sure-fire HOF'er, but there's a ceiling that exists where its good enough that he has a career like Eric Staal. Worst case scenario, the offense doesn't develop that great, and he's like a 50 point per season player. There are so few players in the league with his combination of size and skating. Having even a modicum of offensive skill will result in a top 6 player. I'm not that convinced by his hockey IQ either, but I don't think it's terrible. It's not that good for most players his size, so being average in that area isn't that much of a problem.

The other problem I see, and this might be how I'm separating the two is that I have never seen Byfield play well. I have seen him play many times, more than enough that I should've seen him play well by now. I can't remember a top prospect that prior to being drafted I saw play a lot and never caught one of their good games. When you don't see these dominating performances people talk about, it's harder to be as big of a fan of him as some others are.
I quickly went through all of Mannheim's box scores to assess this claim.

While going through, I accidentally missed counting an assist, but that would not skew the overall percentages much.

For non-powerplay points:
5 goals
17 assists

For powerplay points:
2 goals
9 assists

This equals to only 33% of his production coming from the powerplay (32 if the assist I missed wasn't on the powerplay, 35 if it was).

I do not equate this to him getting a lot of his points on the PP. Look at top players in the NHL today, it is not uncommon to see them get 30%+ of their points on the PP.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Turcotte, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Kupari, Thomas, Vilardi, Anderson-Dolan
Thanks for listing the Kings prospects I already knew of, I still think Sens' prospect pool is stronger, without counting their superior graduated players or the fact they have several more high-end picks for the upcoming draft. Even IF Kings' pool was slightly stronger, which I don't think it is, the point made by the poster I quoted is ridiculous.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York

While going through, I accidentally missed counting an assist, but that would not skew the overall percentages much.

5 goals
17 assists

For powerplay points:
2 goals
9 assists

This equals to only 33% of his production coming from the powerplay (32 if the assist I missed wasn't on the powerplay, 35 if it was).

I do not equate this to him getting a lot of his points on the PP. Look at top players in the NHL today, it is not uncommon to see them get 30%+ of their points on the PP.

Fair enough. Whether it's a lot of PP points or not, he played a very favorable role this season that I think inflated the perception of his offensive ability. I'm not suggesting he's bad offensively, but do we have a way to properly compare his totals to other players? Not exactly because there aren't many comparables in the DEL at his age. Because we don't have that, we are then left to assess the tools, and I think the offensive tools are good, not great.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I am no expert by any means, but my impression to date is that Stutzle has the higher floor and can make an immediate impact but Byfield has the higher ceiling (and higher risk) and is more of a project.

I don't envy the Los Angeles Kings.

Hopefully Dorion doesn't do something stupid and goes off the board at #3.
Dorion said in his '31 thoughts' interview with Friedman that he thinks there's a tier of 2 players after Lafreniere, and then a tier from 4-12. As such I'd be shocked if he didn't pick Stutzle or Byfield at 3.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dorion said in his '31 thoughts' interview with Friedman that he thinks there's a tier of 2 players after Lafreniere, and then a tier from 4-12. As such I'd be shocked if he didn't pick Stutzle or Byfield at 3.

My nerves would be calm if he identified those two players. ;)

Realistically though, lots of decent talent in the top 10 or even top 12.

How often do players in a given draft year have careers in exact lock step with their draft position?

There's bound to be a few busts in there which is always a frightening prospect when you have a couple draft picks that high.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Bob Mackenzie and @Mark Edwards (HockeyProspects.com) both have Stutzle at No.2. I would take Stutzle at No.2 as well.
Bob McKenzie doesn't rank the players, 5 scouts had Byfield 2 and 5 scouts had Stützle 2 so using his list is a little curious for picking Stützle over Byfield. .

And I wish people would stop typing it Stutzle, you can just say Stytzle if you can't be bothered to type ü. But it's ü not u, completely different letters.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Bob McKenzie doesn't rank the players, 5 scouts had Byfield 2 and 5 scouts had Stützle 2 so using his list is a little curious for picking Stützle over Byfield. .

And I wish people would stop typing it Stutzle, you can just say Stytzle if you can't be bothered to type ü. But it's ü not u, completely different letters.
Well McKenzie's ranking was an overall reflection of scouts' opinion, and 2 of the scouts who had Stützle at No.2 also had Byfield at no.6 which dropped him below Stützle.

Reactions: Bhrangerfan0809

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
For the Kings, its the best of both worlds.. They demand size and skill down the middle and Byfield is that plus the BPA at #2..
Kopitar / Vilardi / Turcotte / Byfield, making up our top 2/3 lines is the way to go.. Add in our current prospect pool + 3 2 nd rd picks and this team will be a problem sooner than expected

Reactions: Ghetty Green

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

5 goals
17 assists

For powerplay points:
2 goals
9 assists

I was wondering about this, thanks for digging up the numbers.

Fair enough. Whether it's a lot of PP points or not, he played a very favorable role this season that I think inflated the perception of his offensive ability. I'm not suggesting he's bad offensively, but do we have a way to properly compare his totals to other players? Not exactly because there aren't many comparables in the DEL at his age. Because we don't have that, we are then left to assess the tools, and I think the offensive tools are good, not great.

In addition to the stats, I think its easy to get infatuated with the skill he shows on the powerplay. Not that he didnt make nice plays at 5v5, but it just seems like a majority of his "wow" moments are with time and space on the powerplay when they dont have to worry as much about getting the puck in the o-zone. I wish there were more games available to watch because I think part of this is just a little lack of exposure on my end

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
ISS, Mckeens, HockeyProspect, Sportsnet, Button and McKenzie scouts (even though it’s basically a tie) have Stützle 2.

Elite prospects, hockey’s Future, The Athletic, ESPN have Byfield 2

gonna be interesting to see who LA picks

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Stutzle looks more dynamic and I love his creativity and vision. The fact that Byfield gets his points off the odd man rush scare me. How is his cycle game down low?

Reactions: Rorschach

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
I think with Stuetzle, you have a lot of people mistyping the kid. He's a lot better of a two way player than people think, and is a near certainty to stick at center. He's not the offensive dynamo that a lot think. He played on the top PP for the best team in his league, and got a lot of points that way. He's good offensively, but he's no MacKinnon, Barzal, McDavid. These comparisons are not on point. Think more Hischier. Good offensive player, but I don't see that elite offensive gear most claim he has.

People who think he is a offensive dynamo are right. He has so much speed. I watched many Mannheim games this season. Stützle is so entertaining. His skating remembers me to my favourite player ever Pavel Bure.

Last edited:

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Haven’t paid much attention to this draft class, but just saw some highlights of both Stutzle and Byfield and holy smokes does Stutzle look like an absolute blue chip stud. His skating stride is so fluid, his vision is sublime and his hands are absolute gold. I can see why many scouts have him ahead of Byfield. Just an aggressive, dynamic player who can hold on to pucks, draw defenders and find an open teammate. I think him and Lafreniere are closer than Byfield is to Stutzle if that makes sense.

Based on what I’ve seen of Byfield, his main draw would be naturally his size and the position he plays. Having that big #1 center would be tough to pass up, but it just seems everything he does well, Stutzle does better. They both seem like very puck hungry playmakers, but Byfield doesn’t have the same mobility and craftiness. Although, if Byfield does end up filling into his frame and becoming difficult to handle down low, he might easily surpass Stutzle.

If it was me though, tough pick, but I gotta go with Stutzle. He looks fantastic 5 on 5 and on the powerplay.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
If I am L.A, I take Byfield. Seems like a more sure thing, Stutzle could bust imo. He is peaking early.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

Very best of luck getting North Americans to type an umlaut for anything other than Mötley Crüe.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Very best of luck getting North Americans to type an umlaut for anything other than Mötley Crüe.
Sure but y is still much closer than u, y is used for the same sound in numerous languages, such as Swedish. ü = y, u is a different thing altogether.

And it's not just this stuff, at WJCs they were butchering Lafreniere's name like nobody's business, I don't even speak French but it was awful to listen to. Some common courtesy can't be too much to ask.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Oversimplifying but it sounds like this is a classic one player has the higher ceiling (Stutzle) and one has the higher floor (Byfield).

I'd be curious to know if anyone sees it the other way, but that is my layman's opinion from what I understand of both guys.
I see it as Stutzle having the higher floor and Byfield having the higher ceiling

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think the Kings should draft Stutzle and Ottawa should draft Byfield. Stutzle fits the Kings better than Byfield in terms of their style and how they draft.

But I take Byfield over Stutzle, but in the big picture it all depends on what you need going forward.

LA needs a wing that could eventually become a 1C where Stutzle fits the bill, Ottawa needs a 1C ASAP!

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Sure but y is still much closer than u, y is used for the same sound in numerous languages, such as Swedish. ü = y, u is a different thing altogether.

And it's not just this stuff, at WJCs they were butchering Lafreniere's name like nobody's business, I don't even speak French but it was awful to listen to. Some common courtesy can't be too much to ask.
Seems like they pronounce it like "Shtootzle" which is much closer to a "u" than a "y" in English. For example in the name "Susan". Unless I'm mishearing it?

Also English keyboard doesn't have a ü

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Any concerns raised about how Stutzle's game transitions to the smaller ice surface? At least with Byfield it's not a question (only how he transitions to the pro game) but that could sway L.A. to take the "safer" pick in Quinton.

Reactions: Rorschach

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
People who think he is a offensive dynamo are right. He has so much speed. I watched many Mannheim games this season. Stützle is so entertaining. His skating remembers me to my favourite player ever Pavel Bure.

Just wanted to ask someone that saw him in person a lot what they thought of his shot. Basically I wonder how good the accuracy and power in the shot is. I just get to watch videos of him and I noticed quite a few missed nets and saves. Like I said that is just watching videos, is this similar to what you guys see in person on a game in game out basis or his shot better than we see on the videos we are able to watch?

that was my only negative on the kid watching the videos. Either way Kings and Sens each get a great prospect.

I personally give the slight edge to Byfield at this point. Kings fans have been spoiled by watching a big bodied Skilled pivot in Kopitar for the last dozen years and I think that size up the middle will be dearly missed when Kopitar has to retire. Plus the fact that he can mentor Byfield for 2 to 3 years before he hangs them up is an absolute game changer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad